Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Explorer SE Failure to Switch On Fix.
Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: September 25, 2016 01:48PM
Metal Detector Model = Minelab Explorer SE .
Fault = The Detector intermittently will not switch on or will not switch on at all.
Cure = Replace Electrolytic Capacitor C605 on the power supply board.
This power supply board is a small plug in circuit board inside the detector , it is very easy to remove.
The capacitor is a 2200 Uf Electrolytic , Voltage rating is 16 volts and is a 105 degrees type.
So if cleaning your battery connectors fails to get your dead SE working try replacing this capacitor.

Re: Explorer SE Failure to Switch On Fix.
Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 25, 2016 06:42PM
Doc, would that be the same an the Explorer II?

BigTony

Date: September 25, 2016 11:27PM
I have not opened an Explorer 2 up , so i can't say for sure. I would have thought they have similar power boards , it takes a few minutes to open the detector control box.
The Capacitor that fails is a known not so good quality brand capacitor made by Samwha. The Capacitor is from the WB Series of Samwha Capacitors which had a high failure rate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 11:55PM by Doctorcoinz.

Date: September 26, 2016 12:20AM
The Se Pro will have a similar power board to the SE . I would guess many of the faults on the these detectors are on the power board.

Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 26, 2016 08:31AM
Good to know thanks

BigTony

Posted by: DnD
Date: December 13, 2016 01:38PM
Reference.....Here are pics of the board from an Explorer II

...CTX, DP-Pulse, and over the years, 22 other detectors...

Date: February 19, 2017 04:09PM
That big capacitor over to the top right near the white connector is a prime suspect if your machine powers off on its own , fails to starts or goes "cuckoo" in any way shape or form ... I would not rule out any other of the caps on the same board either..

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: May 07, 2017 07:25AM
Where does one purchase a new capacitor? And what brand do you suggest? Does the capacitor just plug in to the board?

Posted by: david.di
Date: July 28, 2017 08:55PM
Tony, as an example , here's a link to one of the many equivalent ones available on line from ebay usa.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-2200UF-2200mfd-16V-Electrolytic-Capacitor-105-degrees-USA-FREE-SHIPPING-/270896099958?hash=item3f12aa7276:g:6EkAAOSw1WJZOEJa

The capacitor that's needs to be replaced needs to be carefully removed, usually done by de-soldering it from the board then soldering in the new one.
In some instances this capacitor and other components, have also been bound to the pcb with hot glue , so you may need to firstly melt/ remove the hot glue from the capacitor.

David Di

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 09:18PM by david.di.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login