Findmall.com

Nokta Detectors

Welcome! Log In Register
Impact or Racer 2 for my situation?
Posted by: Southwind
Date: July 14, 2017 08:03AM
I know this is the Nokta forum but I figure it would also be a good place to ask this question.

I'm getting ready to start a new project of hunting a local 130+ year old park one tone at a time. I have cherry picked it over the last 35 years with every detector from a TR Discriminator to the CTX 3030, but have cherry picked it. Now I've decided to test my cherry picking ability by blocking off small areas at a time and digging it all to see what I missed. My question is for those who have used both the Racer 2 and the Impact which would you suggest? Remember, 130+ years of trash to pick through, and I will dig it all, but I'd like to know which would do me the best in this situation.

Thanks

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 08:28AM by Southwind.

Re: Impact or Racer 2 for my situation?
Posted by: CCadrin
Date: July 14, 2017 08:25AM
I can't speak for the Racer 2 but the Impact was phenomenal in my old park with the 7.5x4 coil. I hit a seated dime at 8" and a 14k gold ring at 9".

Checkout the thread: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?100,2379699

Posted by: goodmore
Date: July 14, 2017 11:47AM
The Impact is a better detector. It offers more ways to hunt with it's impressive list of options. Will this detector make your site new again? No way. Will they both find things you have missed? Probably. If you have never used a higher frequency detector you will be amazed at the 20kHz of the Impact and it's ability to find small objects. Now with tht being said be prepared to dig tiny bits of foil and other trash. Digging it all in a park can be a large chore with many many plugs and holes. When it comes to public lands I personally believe the fewer holes the better. Discrimination...Target ID are good friends to have in a park. Do it over a long period of time if you do it.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: July 14, 2017 12:06PM
Good advice from goodmore.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: July 14, 2017 01:45PM
Yes---Do it over a long period of time if you do it!-----Our parks are being closed to detecting by the day!

Posted by: dbado1
Date: July 14, 2017 02:37PM
What goodmore said. Good luck!

Dean

Posted by: Mudwhale
Date: July 14, 2017 03:41PM
What Goodmore said! If you go for Impact get the pro package. It's worth the extra dollars for sure. From my experience with the machine so far is that it will see EVERYTHING in the ground. If you plan on digging everything this is the machine for you. HH! And keep us posted.

Nokta IMPACT,Garret GTAX-550, Garret Pro Pointer, Garret digger, Predator Tools Piranha shovel and 100% DEET!!

Posted by: dan b
Date: July 17, 2017 11:30AM
If you plan on digging everything, wouldn't a Tejon or Vaquero in all metal be good enough? Go slightly negative on the GB and you will find it all as deep as any others.

Current detectors:
:garrett: ATPro
Previously owned: :tesoro:, :garrett:, :fisher: , :teknetics:, :minelab:, and :whites:

Date: July 17, 2017 12:11PM
I don't do this my self because the places I hunt would look like WWI no man's land when I was done. It's hard to be neat when the targets are every couple of inches.

Current detectors:
Previously owned: :tesoro:, :garrett:, :fisher: , :teknetics:, :minelab:, and :whites:

Posted by: Low-Boy/LCPM
Date: July 18, 2017 09:08PM
The Impact is a lot of detectors in one unit and has the 3 f req. I own a racer and deus and I always grab the impact and coils first.

LowBoy {RACER /DEUS}

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvc8PTSRYKKi4hdGpSonlA

Posted by: Sven
Date: July 19, 2017 08:24PM
Have been finding lately I dig about 50% less trash than with any other detector I have owned. The Impact seems to ID it accurately from iron to foil to canslaw. I have dug plenty of it to be sure.
Saves wear and tear on my knees getting up and down off the ground, well not really. I did just as many holes as before, just a lot less trash in them. I will dig every pulltab signal I get just to be sure its not a gold ring or a nickel.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Date: July 19, 2017 08:34PM
But if he's really going to dig everything why would he need a display? In fact, wouldn't a PI machine work best?

Current detectors:

Posted by: MI-AuAg
Date: July 19, 2017 09:51PM
dan b
But if he's really going to dig everything why would he need a display? In fact, wouldn't a PI machine work best?

I totally agree with what you said dan b.

In a "dig it all" scenario as described, the many abilities of the Impact and Racer 2 would be somewhat irrelevant. A PI detector hits on ALL metals, ferrous and non-ferrous alike, down to the tiny pieces, and much deeper. If your intent is to clean it all out, a PI would do the job. As mentioned, the amount of digging and condition of the grass when done would certainly be prohibitive in a park situatuion.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: July 20, 2017 02:27AM
The Impact can do everything the Racer2 can do, but not vice versa.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: July 20, 2017 03:46AM
just rip the top 10" s off and put it through the Hoffman's trommel :bouncy:

AJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login