Findmall.com

Nokta Detectors

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Impact Coil Connector Issue
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: August 01, 2017 09:07PM
:rofl:That's hilarious Brian (as long as it wasn't happening to me)!:lol:------Kind of reminds me what happened to me once when the wife & I were up in the mts. of AZ gold hunting.------Hey Tom---you're bein pretty quiet---we're gonna stop beatin on ya now (I think)!:wink:------I'll bet you two guys are a blast to be around.----Why don't both of ya come up to OR for a hunt?---I need you guys to teach me how to find something!:thumbup:-------Del
Cal_Cobra
Del funny story.....for starters he does have two Exp2's, but only carries one with him, along with a Tesoro Bandito. As we left one site Sunday we heard a hissing sound, a piece of sage brush punctured his sidewall and he wanted to hurry up and get his truck off the desert floor to a paved road in order to support the jack to change the tire. In his frantic rush to the road, he forgot that he left his Exp2 leaning up against a post - :rofl:

We got the spare tire mounted and went on our way to check one more site on our way home. Lucky for him, it was only 15 minutes away as when we got to the site, he realized that he'd left his Exp2 at the previous site - :yikes: Lucky for him that I suggested we check this last site (even though it was a bust), because otherwise, he'd left his Exp2 in the middle of the desert :lmfao: It's a very remote site, so the odds that anyone else would ever find it are low, but I don't think their thunderstorm proof and we're not planning to go back until the weather cools down :devil:

D&P-OR
Hey Brian-----How many Explorer 2's does ole Tom have?------If he's just got this one---you might try (sorta) accidentally backing over it with the truck--you know, when your loading stuff, etc.--sh-- happens! :wink:------Just trying to be helpful---I better shut up now---Tom will be coming up here to OR with his gun.:yikes:
Cal_Cobra
D&P-OR
You can always break his EX 2 Brian, that oughta slow him up!!!-----That might be a better deal for ya than buryin him somewhere out on the desert!-------I'm "tryin" to be funny!:biggrin:-------------Del

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind :stretcher:

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: August 02, 2017 02:52PM
squirrel1
Cal_Cobra
squirrel1
Just curious, do you remember the last time you were in this area?
Put your small on on?

I have not experienced any problems in this area.

Not sure I understand your question?

What I was asking, how long has it been since you had done a coil change, before you experienced your problem??

I mounted the small coil on the Impact before we left on our trip, so just a few days.

Date: August 02, 2017 02:57PM
It's always funny when it happens to someone else :punch:

Actually we've kicked around detecting Oregon a bit, researching the old stage stops and what not, but we have our hands full with our currently researched sites. I'm sure as our sites play out, we'll start eying other areas to detect, but it's a long ways to Oregon from here. I wish we had better local sites, but there's a ton of detectorists around here and they've managed to hoover out anything that's remotely easy to research, it's those little blurbs in the history books that we tend to get lucky on.

D&P-OR
:rofl:That's hilarious Brian (as long as it wasn't happening to me)!:lol:------Kind of reminds me what happened to me once when the wife & I were up in the mts. of AZ gold hunting.------Hey Tom---you're bein pretty quiet---we're gonna stop beatin on ya now (I think)!:wink:------I'll bet you two guys are a blast to be around.----Why don't both of ya come up to OR for a hunt?---I need you guys to teach me how to find something!:thumbup:-------Del
Cal_Cobra
Del funny story.....for starters he does have two Exp2's, but only carries one with him, along with a Tesoro Bandito. As we left one site Sunday we heard a hissing sound, a piece of sage brush punctured his sidewall and he wanted to hurry up and get his truck off the desert floor to a paved road in order to support the jack to change the tire. In his frantic rush to the road, he forgot that he left his Exp2 leaning up against a post - :rofl:

We got the spare tire mounted and went on our way to check one more site on our way home. Lucky for him, it was only 15 minutes away as when we got to the site, he realized that he'd left his Exp2 at the previous site - :yikes: Lucky for him that I suggested we check this last site (even though it was a bust), because otherwise, he'd left his Exp2 in the middle of the desert :lmfao: It's a very remote site, so the odds that anyone else would ever find it are low, but I don't think their thunderstorm proof and we're not planning to go back until the weather cools down :devil:

D&P-OR
Hey Brian-----How many Explorer 2's does ole Tom have?------If he's just got this one---you might try (sorta) accidentally backing over it with the truck--you know, when your loading stuff, etc.--sh-- happens! :wink:------Just trying to be helpful---I better shut up now---Tom will be coming up here to OR with his gun.:yikes:
Cal_Cobra
D&P-OR
You can always break his EX 2 Brian, that oughta slow him up!!!-----That might be a better deal for ya than buryin him somewhere out on the desert!-------I'm "tryin" to be funny!:biggrin:-------------Del

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind :stretcher:

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: August 02, 2017 06:42PM
Quote Cal Cobra

"I'd probably killed it at that site with my Racer 2 :rolleyes: "

I'm not going to say a word......I'm not going to say a word................... :drinking:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: August 02, 2017 07:28PM
I AM-----I SURE LIKE MY NEW RACER 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:
OregonGregg
Quote Cal Cobra

I'm not going to say a word......I'm not going to say a word................... :drinking:

Date: August 02, 2017 07:30PM
OregonGregg
Quote Cal Cobra

I know, I know....wait until you see what we (TOM) found..... sigh, my R2's been very good for me too in the past, it's definitely going with me on the next trip. I did notice at once site that my Impact would only ground balance around 27....which according to the manual is heavy salt/alkali soils, I wonder how the R2 would do there as it struggled at other alkali soil sites in the desert, but it ground balanced at a much higher value.

Date: August 02, 2017 07:46PM
Cal_Cobra
I did notice at once site that my Impact would only ground balance around 27....which according to the manual is heavy salt/alkali soils, I wonder how the R2 would do there as it struggled at other alkali soil sites in the desert, but it ground balanced at a much higher value.

Brian, I really can't say how the R2 will do in heavy salt/alkali. I have never encountered that in my neck of the woods. Would the "Beach" mode on the R2 offer any improvements in those conditions ?? I am usually grounding balancing with numbers on the opposite side of the scale over here in OR. But heck, if ya can't get it to work, you can do this. Might as well at least look good while swinging the R2 if nothing else. Sure has a lot nicer feel over the foam.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: August 02, 2017 07:49PM
Oh ya you're killing me here........................what did Tom find ????? most be something pretty nice.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: August 02, 2017 11:12PM
OregonGregg
Oh ya you're killing me here........................what did Tom find ????? most be something pretty nice.

Like the Racer handle grip mods! I'll wait until Tom posts his finds, don't want to steal his thunder, but he was on fire at the site the Impact wasn't working at... oh the agony of defeat - lol

Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: August 03, 2017 06:13PM
I agree it's a bit fiddly some times screwing that little connector for the coil lead on. I don't like the set up personally . The way the coil wire is loose fed through from the electronics and down the control box shaft makes connecting up a bit "fiddly ". I have to lay the detector on it's side resting on a solid surface then I connect the coil connectors. I think with enough time connection problems may happen or breaks near connector the wires could get stressed over time maybe
just maybe. .

Date: August 03, 2017 07:26PM
Doctorcoinz
I agree it's a bit fiddly some times screwing that little connector for the coil lead on. I don't like the set up personally . The way the coil wire is loose fed through from the electronics and down the control box shaft makes connecting up a bit "fiddly ". I have to lay the detector on it's side resting on a solid surface then I connect the coil connectors. I think with enough time connection problems may happen or breaks near connector the wires could get stressed over time maybe
just maybe. .

If they locked, like a BNC connector, it would be better (no room for error).

Time will tell if they fail...but rest assured if they do, Nokta will take care of us, their customer service is second to none, period.

Hey Cal Cobra
Date: August 06, 2017 03:32PM
Cal Cobra please do not interpret this wrong.... this is not an attempt at rubbing salt in the wound, but rather think of it as a memo on the abilities of the Racer 2, what it can achieve and the performance that it has to offer. :smoke: Seen Tom's post on the other site, yep they were some very nice finds.

Went out early this morning and got some detecting in at a place we call "Phils Place" and snagged a pleasant surprise. Was using the R2 w/Snake coil.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: August 06, 2017 08:14PM
Brian - Happy to hear about your connector problem. Well, not really happy to hear about it but I've changed my coils on the Impact many, many times. I have always held the coil end of the connector in my left hand and then tightened the detector end with my right hand as I'm right handed. never had a problem before. Last week I was detecting and decided to change coils. I tightened the one side of the connector as always and after it was tight, I noticed that the coil end of the connector was loose so I tightened it also. I thought it was strange that I had to tighten both sides as I had never done that before. Now that you have brought this to the forum, I'm sure you have saved myself and many others from experiencing the same issue you had. Thanks for bring this up!

Impact, Racer 2, Impact, Racer 2. Iny Meany Miny Mo. Which to use? Such a dilemma. A good one to have.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login