Findmall.com

Nokta Detectors

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Impact's Maiden Voyage....Mixed Feelings.
Posted by: Dave_E
Date: October 16, 2017 12:59PM
Some locations simply do not permit me to run the gain up over 80 with other out of the box settings.

Try bumping the disc up to 5 and, as squirrel1 mentioned, do a frequency shift. That may allow you to run the gain up a lot higher.

When I shift the freq up from 3 to 4 it REALLY quiets the EMI produced at one of my sites with an electric dog fence.

Posted by: CousinEddie
Date: October 20, 2017 08:26PM
I'm getting the swing of this monster machine. Been getting in a few hours a day after work and I'm seeing the power. I found a small piece of an already small watch key from the mid 1800's. I found it at a solid 7 inches. Great signal too, probably would have reach 8 - 81/2 with a decent signal. Very impressive for how ridiculously small it is. Moderately mineralized soil.

Mode Di2
Gain 93
Disc 12
14 khz

I also LOVE VLX2 mode!!! Sooooo easy on the ears, even when being a chatter box. I've got the Impact running much more stable now. Didn't realize how hot the soil was at my first few sites with this machine until I got onto some moderate soil and the concert of chatter calmed down.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: October 20, 2017 09:58PM
CousinEddie
I'm getting the swing of this monster machine. Been getting in a few hours a day after work and I'm seeing the power. I found a small piece of an already small watch key from the mid 1800's. I found it at a solid 7 inches. Great signal too, probably would have reach 8 - 81/2 with a decent signal. Very impressive for how ridiculously small it is. Moderately mineralized soil.

Mode Di2
Gain 93
Disc 12
14 khz

I also LOVE VLX2 mode!!! Sooooo easy on the ears, even when being a chatter box. I've got the Impact running much more stable now. Didn't realize how hot the soil was at my first few sites with this machine until I got onto some moderate soil and the concert of chatter calmed down.

So many different search modes to choose. I've yet to give any serious time to the VLX modes yet, but have heard great things about them. Only thing for me is I'm not too used to 2-tone modes.

For me. changing the frequency to 20kHz allows me to hunt areas with hot ground mineralization without all the noise. Have a couple of ghost town sites in the desert I enjoy detecting that have hot alkali soil, drove my Racer2, and F75 crazy, lots of ground noise, very reduced depth and TID was pretty jumpy. I solved that with the Impact by just switching over to 20kHz.

Glad you're getting the hang of the Impact, although in most regards it's a fairly straight forward detector, it has so many settings that you can get creative with it and set it up for about any type of ground out there and if EMI is a problem, you can try changing between 5, 14 and 20kHz, great feature to have :clapping:

I'll be very interesting to see how the Impact does vs the :minelab: Equinox when it's released :twodetecting:

hh,
Brian

Posted by: anton
Date: November 13, 2017 07:35AM
you can get the sens up to 94-98 in di2?? wow! either my impact is totally screwed up or you got a special one, coz on my impact, even in 'clean' ground mine starts getting 'sparky' at 85 plus in the disc modes,throwing ghost signals,spitting,farting like a pro, lol ..i love my impact, but im really annoyed i cant run high sensitivity settings ANYWHERE :( .. its a huge letdown from my racer 2, which could run neaerly full sensitivity everywhere,i wonder what got lost in translation...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 07:39AM by anton.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: November 13, 2017 11:31PM
anton
you can get the sens up to 94-98 in di2?? wow! either my impact is totally screwed up or you got a special one, coz on my impact, even in 'clean' ground mine starts getting 'sparky' at 85 plus in the disc modes,throwing ghost signals,spitting,farting like a pro, lol ..i love my impact, but im really annoyed i cant run high sensitivity settings ANYWHERE :( .. its a huge letdown from my racer 2, which could run neaerly full sensitivity everywhere,i wonder what got lost in translation...

I'm surprised, because, like my Red Racer and Racer 2, I almost always run my Impact sensitivity between 95-99.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: November 14, 2017 08:59AM
I can run the gain on my impact at 95 - 99 most everywhere I hunt also. Occasionally it will get sparky that high but I've never hunted a place that I couldn't run at least 80 - 85.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

anton, about the Impact or other detectors and their Gain/Sensitivity levels.
Posted by: Monte
Date: November 14, 2017 11:13AM
anton
I have my 'Saved' program settings on the Impact with the Gain at '99' in Di3 mode, and '95' in every other search mode.

Is the device always quiet and smooth-running? No, not always. Quite often, Yes, but that's because I am usually detecting some forlorn old site that is far from any urban area and thus free of EMI sources. yet I still use these gain levels most of the time when Coin Hunting in various cities and towns using my Impact, Relic or CoRe and, if necessary, I can reduce the setting to achieve stability.

I hunt the same way with my Tesoro's or White's, usually keeping the Gain / Sensitivity level at or close to maximum and just adjusting as needed to get them stable if they are chattery. One thing in my favor, too, is that most of the time I am using a smaller-size search coil, and my next pick is a mid-sized coil like the new 5X9½ DD. Smaller coils cover less ground, work in and around brush and trash, and are also less prone to nearby EMI than standard or larger-size search coils.

Besides, there isn't a problem if you are in an area with electrical interference and need to reduce the Sensitivity to gain stability because it shows that the detector is capable of achieving a higher level of Gain. You could have a problem if your hunt site is bothersome for some people but you're using a detector that, by design, just doesn't allow a higher level of Gain adjustment and you're stuck with a more limited-range level to use.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Dave_E
Date: November 14, 2017 01:45PM
Same here Anton.
No way can I run my gain up that high in Di2 around here. Even with a frequency shift.

Unless, I run the disc up a lot higher.

Posted by: Sven
Date: November 14, 2017 06:15PM
Tom Slick
I can run the gain on my impact at 95 - 99 most everywhere I hunt also. Occasionally it will get sparky that high but I've never hunted a place that I couldn't run at least 80 - 85.

In the basement I can run Di2 set at 96, almost dead quiet at 89. Haven't noticed an EMI out hunting, usually run 85-90 or so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login