Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: A Bold statement made by Makro with the R2....
Posted by: hrefab
Date: May 09, 2016 08:05PM
I'm new to the party here, having only had my Racer 2 for a few days. But I'll tell you this. Today I went out to a local park. Very small, very out of the way and rarely used. I set up the racer 2 notching out everything but coins. I hunted for about an hour and didn't dig a single bottle cap, pull tab or piece of foil.. I did dig 7 dimes, 4 nickels, 22 pennies 12 zincs and 11 quarters...No silver, but for an hours worth of hunting I'm pretty impressed. It's nice when you spend money of something that actually works and works extremely well. This isn't a complicated machine by any measure. It works, it's pretty simple to get a handle on and it has a good deal of adjustability for any hunting style.

I love my XP Deus too.....
Posted by: DigFella
Date: May 10, 2016 01:12PM
But even if the processor speed is about the same, for the nail ridden cellar holes I hunt I think big edge for me is having that small DD coil. I'm totally in love with the 4.5" OOR! All these "hunted out" stone foundations are producing again. Not just a flat cuff button here & there, but lots of nice masked coins & relics! I'm about to post a sweet Civil War button that I pulled out of an insane bed of iron.....so bad others were now sifting the spot figuring there was too much iron garbage for a detector. I just dialed up the the tone break to solve that problem :) I'm enjoying the heck out of this detector & I'm getting ready to sell off some of the other coils & units I was previously favoring. I still have not tied on the R2 round small coil yet. I'm thinking the 4.5" OOR is gonna be like hens teeth to find soon & I might grab another one before they are gone for good.........
I'm now testing the wireless phones & seeing no lag! So, even more fun awaits! :detecting:

Re: I love my XP Deus too.....
Date: May 10, 2016 01:36PM
Can I get a clarification on this OOR coil? It's NOT the same one that comes with the Racer2 Pro Package?

Is there a part number for the OOR coil and is it compatible with the Racer 2?

The coil on the R2 is totally round............
Posted by: DigFella
Date: May 10, 2016 02:05PM
Racer one had like a 4.5" "out of round" one...........But I'm seeing no difference

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: May 10, 2016 02:30PM
The original Red Racer small coil was 4.7 x 5.2 inches a little Out Of Round (OOR) Monte coined the phrase and we have been calling it the "oor" coil ever since. It is compatible with the Racer 2. The new small coil that comes with the Racer 2 is slightly bigger at approx 5.5" and is round. Either coil is compatible with either the R1 or R2. I think the coil was model # RC 13

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 02:39PM by OregonGregg.

Posted by: TallTom
Date: May 10, 2016 09:26PM
OregonGregg
The original Red Racer small coil was 4.7 x 5.2 inches a little Out Of Round (OOR) Monte coined the phrase and we have been calling it the "oor" coil ever since. It is compatible with the Racer 2. The new small coil that comes with the Racer 2 is slightly bigger at approx 5.5" and is round. Either coil is compatible with either the R1 or R2. I think the coil was model # RC 13

Right. The original small Racer coil was called the RC13. The newer one that is 5.5" and really round (should we call it the RR, not the OOR?) is
being called the RC13E. It appears that Makro is still selling them both, at least the US distributor lists them both as available.

In So. Calif. using Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, and Tesoro Sand Shark.

hrefab ...Let me explain the 'ORR' and the current small DD offerings.
Posted by: Monte
Date: May 11, 2016 01:43AM
hrefab
Can I get a clarification on this OOR coil?
Yes, and I will have to take the credit for the popular use of the name 'OOR' which stands for 'Out-Of-Round.' Most popular search coil design shapes have either been round, or a very pronounced elliptical shape. In 2001 Tesoro came out with a new coil design called an 8X9, and that Concentric coil was a replacement for the standard 8" 'round' Concentric coil. Because the 8X9 search coils was no longer a round shape, and definitely not a fashionable elongated elliptical shape, I dubbed it an 'OOR' coil because it was just barely Out-Of-Round.

When I got my Nokta FORS CoRe in January last year, and Makro Racer in February, their smaller-than-stock search coils were an out-of-round shape as well, measuring 4.7X5.2 in DD configuration. Because these smaller-size search coil were just slightly no longer 'round,' I called them an 'OOR' search coil in any discussions I had and in print in e-mails and Forum posts, and that seems to have caught on in many general discussions.

hrefab
It's NOT the same one that comes with the Racer2 Pro Package?
No, the 'OOR' shaped DD coil was available as an accessory, or it was part of the Pro Package for the Nokta FORS Gold and FORS CoRe at 15 kHz and the original Makro Racer at 14 kHz. The FORS Gold + and newer FORS Relic, both operating at 19 kHz, have an available 5½" diameter round DD coil and not the 'OOR' shaped design. The 5½" DD is also the smaller size coil used with the 56 kHz Gold Racer. The new racer 2, also operating at 14 kHz, shares search coils with the original Racer, but the smaller coil, available in the Pro Package or as an accessory, is the round-shaped 5½" DD design. (Note: Nokta/Makro Detectors calls it a 5" DD, but the physical measurement is very close to 5½" so that's what I have called it.)

hrefab
Is there a part number for the OOR coil and is it compatible with the Racer 2?
The 'OOR' shaped coil is cataloged as the: RC13 DD Coil, and the newer 5½" round DD coil is the: RC13E DD Coil.

The last I noted both sizes were still being offered through the USA Distributor, but it seems like there is a recent 'trend' for many to seek the 'OOR' shaped search coil. Maybe it looks more 'fashionable' to some folks, but the in-the-field performance of the two is just about indistinguishable, and I personally kind of prefer the newer round 5½" DD coil on my models. I would like to see an RC13 E Con. being offered to have a Concentric coil in that housing size, but until then either of these smaller DD coils provide exceptional and virtually identical performance in dense iron littered sites.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX-7
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, and chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my accessory coil tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 01:53AM by Monte.

Re: hrefab ...Let me explain the 'ORR' and the current small DD offerings.
Date: May 11, 2016 10:13AM
Thank you Monte. That sure clears it all up! I am nothing but amazed with the performance of my Racer 2.. I haven't really tried the small coil yet, other than putting it on very briefly, but every is telling me that it's a mind blower!

Yes, hrefab, the Racer 2 is a "mind blower" when
Posted by: Monte
Date: May 11, 2016 05:32PM
it comes to hunting in and around dense brush, metal structures, heavily littered sites, and especially most iron infested places where I spend at least 85-90% of all my detecting time. The 'secret' is not just learning how the Racer 2 works and mastering the various settings and sweep technique/coil presentation, but making sure you have one of the smaller-size coils mounted. Take your pick between the 'original' smaller Racer coil, the 'OOR' design, or the newer and current offering, the round-shaped 5½" DD, they are both excellent coils to complement the Racer 2 performance in all sorts of challenging conditions.

hrefab
Thank you Monte. That sure clears it all up! I am nothing but amazed with the performance of my Racer 2.. I haven't really tried the small coil yet, other than putting it on very briefly, but every is telling me that it's a mind blower!
You need to try it, and remember not to be sweeping too quickly, especially in rocky conditions or in severe mineralization or dense trash. Just use a 'comfortable' slow and methodical sweep, overlapping at least 50%, and you're going to find targets that have been masked from detection by many/most other detectors.

I wish you lived close enough and were able to come join a bunch of metal detecting adventurists next Thursday-thru-Sunday on our WTHO to search at least six ghost town sites out of Wells, Nevada. It's just an open invitation to anyone and I can guarantee many participants are going to go home with some rewarding and pleasing keepers from this outing, just like they did on the last two outings.

I can also guarantee you that many attendees will be working a Makro Racer or Racer 2 with a smaller-size coil, or a sister company Nokta FORS CoRe, Gold + or Relic, also with the smaller-than-stock search coil. The Nokta/Makro Detector users were present last May, and we saw at least double the number of Nokta/Makro users attend in September, and we also had 3 more than the number who made it out in May. I will NOT be surprised to see at least a half-dozen FORS series models in use and probably at least 10 Racer-series models put to work as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX-7
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, and chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my accessory coil tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Yes, hrefab, the Racer 2 is a "mind blower" when
Date: May 12, 2016 01:00AM
Monte

I did give the small coil a try tonight and while it did perform quite well in separating out target from trash, I was rather disappointed with the depth or lack of it that it exhibited. (I made a post about it on the forum so I won't repeat here). Perhaps you could take a look at that post and comment. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or have the wrong settings, but I did do as you said and slowed my swing down quite a lot and overlapped on known targets and couldn't get below 5"... Open to advice as always.

Thanks

Re: Yes, hrefab, the Racer 2 is a "mind blower" when
Posted by: Southwind
Date: May 12, 2016 03:24AM
I had the Red Racer with the 4.5x5 coil and I now have the Racer 2 with the 4.5x5 and found in both cases they were just what one would expect. They have good separation because the detecting pattern is small but like all small coils the price is depth. Don't know why anyone would expect anything different from this machine?

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: amberjack
Date: May 12, 2016 09:06AM
if you can 5" on a dime in mild ground I wouldn't be complaining :biggrin:

AJ

Date: May 12, 2016 10:22AM
Not complaining, just questioning. I had read some posts claiming that the depth would blow me away... Well, 5 inches didn't blow me away and I was wondering if perhaps I was doing something wrong. I've since been informed that the depth is correct for that coil and that it's the separation that makes it a valuable tool. I don't usually use small coils so I'm not very familiar with their performance. As long as the coil is operating properly, I'm pleased. Having had that validated by people WITH experience with the coil in question is what these forums are for and why we ask questions.

Thanks

Posted by: amberjack
Date: May 12, 2016 02:42PM
depends on a lot of things like with everything detecting there is no right or wrong answer just the closest to the one we might need :blink:

sure it can get better depth than 5" but you would have to have optimal conditions !!

its why I night hunt a lot its better.

AJ

Posted by: nycapt
Date: March 15, 2017 01:56PM
You made me a believer!
Thanks Jackie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login