Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Makro pointer concerns
Posted by: aag800
Date: November 18, 2016 08:38PM
I just bought a new Racer2 with the holiday package from Backwoods Detectors and took it out today for a lunchtime hunt. Love the racer2! Everything about it so far. Unfortunately I did not have the same affair with the pointer. The beeping did not really"ramp up" gradually as I got closer to the target and then it would not consistently go solid when I was touching the target. I tried it with a penny on the surface and it did it over and over. It was super confusing when I was looking for a target in a hole and I was touching it with the pointer still beeping and not solid. Wondering if my experience is just characteristics of the pointer or if I have an issue.

Re: Makro pointer concerns
Posted by: staffydog33
Date: November 20, 2016 06:27AM
I own the Makro Racer 2 and it's absolutely fantastic, but after a couple of days using the makro pointer, me and my old man sold them, coz they were falsing and doing all kinds of random weirdness.

Now we own detecnix pi pointer in orange.

Blows away the garrett easily ....and WAY cheaper at £62

Date: November 27, 2016 08:43PM
I really wanted to like this pointer, but it is pretty much useless and disappointing. The buttons are in a terrible spot, especially with gloves on. It is way too loud and why does it beep 6 times when it shuts off? Besides that, it does not really "pinpoint". It does not ramp up nor does it go solid when you are touching the target. This wasted a lot of time today. I tried a new battery and all different settings. I'm assuming by the lack of responses, that my findings are common and no one chimed in to help me out and defend this pointer. Disappointed. If anyone would like it, I can cut you a great deal.

Well, I do NOT have any Makro Pointer concerns.
Posted by: Monte
Date: November 28, 2016 08:24AM
Nor do I have any complaints about my Nokta Pointer as I use them both.

No, they do not 'ramp up' quite the same as some other pointers, but they do increase to a degree. And while some pointers even get the 'solid buzz' or 'solid beep' I have tried some that quickly ramped to a solid response but were still an inch or so away from the target. I have also had several pointers, including the major offering out of Texas, that had failure issues, a couple of them, that left me stranded w/o a pinpointer when out afield.

Both my Makro and Nokta pointers are a very solid build quality, and the pinpointing ability is quite satisfactory. I don't rely on a pinpointer for all target recoveries, and I have evaluated some that I just didn't care for and got rid of them. Pinpointing a located target isn't all that difficult when you learn how to pinpoint with your detector and the coil mounted. I can achieve that task w/o difficulty 90% of the time w/o using a pinpointer, but on the 10% or so times I need one, either my Makro Pointer or Nokta Pointer handle that chore well.

The hold for 6 quick-beep shut-off design is just what it is, part of how they designed it, and it doesn't bother me. I have never put either of them back in a scabbard still turned on like I have with some models that had a simpler push-on and push-off button when my press of the button didn't shut it off. Besides, it only takes an extra 1 to 3 seconds to turn them off after target recovery.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX-7
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, and chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Additional search coils. mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my accessory coil tote.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg Shovel and DigMaster digging tools.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Date: November 28, 2016 11:46AM
Pinpointing with the racer2 and the Core is spot on and makes it easy. Woods hunting In the dirt/rock out in my area, makes a good ppointer necessary. Searching too long to find out you are digging a buckshot is a waste of time when time is of the premium.
Another complaint is that it works beautifully one hole and then way off the next. That probably sums up my frustration the best.

Posted by: nugget71
Date: November 29, 2016 04:54PM
Have you even tried dropping the sensitvity??? On setting 3 mine works perfectly in wet salty sand.

:garrett: AT GOLD with stock coil (current)
:makro: Makro racer with stock coil (current)
:tesoro: Diablo 2 x 2 with stock coil (20 kHz)retired
:fisher: Fisher gold bug M-Scope with small and large coil (retired) 19 kHz
:tesoro: Lobo supertraq with stock coil (retired) 17.8 kHz
:garrett: AT Pro with stock coil (retired) :garrett: Pro pointer + 5x8" coil + water proof headphones. 15 kHz
:minelab: Minelab X-Terra 70 (Stock concentric 7.5khz 9" coil, Elliptical 10.5" 18.75khz DD coil and 6" DD 18.75khz coil) (retired)
:minelab: Minelab SD 2200 with stock 11 DD coil (retired)
:garrett: Garrett Ace 250 (retired)
:minelab: Minelab Explorer II (retired)
:minelab: Minelab Explorer (retired)
:minelab: Minelab GP Extreme (retired)
Banned from the X-terra forums for giving an opinion, be careful what you say people, you have been warned!

Date: November 29, 2016 06:22PM
Yeah, I tried all settings

Posted by: volpe
Date: November 30, 2016 05:47PM
I'm wondering if EMI or ground mineralization can cause some of the aberrations. Mine, on two separate occasions, in two different places, has indicated a target after removing item(s) and my detector no longer registers a target in the ground. It has also given indications when held pointer end up vertically. Changing batteries did not change results in either circumstance.

Posted by: Flintstone
Date: November 30, 2016 08:30PM
Volpe, If you are using a detector with iron knot out and there is iron in the hole the pinpointer will pick it up and your detector wont.

Posted by: dan h
Date: November 30, 2016 08:54PM
Makro pinpointer, use default settings, and it works fine.

Posted by: foggynotion
Date: November 30, 2016 09:16PM
I had been using one since December 2014 and was happy with it, but recently it stopped beeping and only vibrates. I emailed Makro about possibly purchasing just the end cap to get it working again, but they did not respond.

Posted by: Nokta Detectors
Date: December 01, 2016 06:51AM
foggynotion
I had been using one since December 2014 and was happy with it, but recently it stopped beeping and only vibrates. I emailed Makro about possibly purchasing just the end cap to get it working again, but they did not respond.

Hello. Who did you send the email to?
Can you please forward the email to me at dilek@noktadetectors.com?

Posted by: Nokta Detectors
Date: December 01, 2016 06:53AM
Anybody who has an issue with their pointer can email me diretly with the serial number of the device and a short video.
If indeed my team verifies that there is a defect, we will gladly replace it for you guys.

Posted by: foggynotion
Date: December 01, 2016 11:10AM
Nokta Detectors, Thank you for responding to my post. I will forward the email to you later today. Not sure if I can do a video, but I can send you a pic and a copy of my sales receipt.

Posted by: volpe
Date: December 01, 2016 03:15PM
I have a racer2, the iron audio is set to 3 and can be heard. One target was aluminum, a light bulb base, and the other a nickle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login