Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Racer 2
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: March 21, 2017 06:42PM
Gregg,

A Walker is always a great find - That snake is one mean little coil, do you have to wear special boots when you're using it? :cheers: - My CORS Point is on the way. I have just the place to give it a try when it becomes open. :thumbup: Meanwhile, it was another few hours at the Racer 2 Training grounds earlier today.

I adjusted Di3 mid-tone up to the 50 (500's) so I could hear it better and voila, i found a larger percentage of foil today. Imagine. About halfway thru my time there, and seeing that I was finding more foil, I asked myself, if I am going to dig mid-tones and high tones just the same, does it make a difference for me to be running on Di3, or could I just as easily use Di2 and run my tones ferrous / non-ferrous ? So, I changed over to Di2 and ran it this way for my last 45 minutes. Does Di2 seem to operate smoother to you? Or is it just a perception since there are fewer different tones going on?

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Re: Score one for the Racer 2
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: March 21, 2017 06:59PM
Rich here is a good test. Do the nail board test in Di3, then do it again in Di2. In Di2 the target pops or does sound better. If a site was only infested with nails Di2 would be a good choice. But as we know they are not and Di3 becomes the better choice. With the rusted tin etc in Di3 it is easier to tell the rusted tin. For parks etc Di2 is a good choice. Infact to get a better answer, post this question over at Monte's site. He is far better at explaining stuff than I am ..........stay tuned Monte just happened to call.....so I told him to check this out :smile:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Mode / Tone choices with the Racer 2.
Posted by: Monte
Date: March 23, 2017 08:26AM
Rich, I am sure you are going to patiently put in the time to learn your Racer 2. Once you get comfortable with the mode you prefer to use for an attached search coil, then you can save all the settings you prefer for each different search mode and be ready to quickly shift to them on-the-fly if, and when, desired. We all have our preferences for search modes used, settings we like, and a Discriminate level that we can tolerate. I have found it interesting to read the modes and settings used by many posters. I know I have my preferences, and I don't mind sharing them, but I also definitely don't encourage anyone to use the settings that I like. They have to learn the detector and how it works, then settle on the settings for them and where and how they hunt.

I like to use the 2-Tone mode a lot, but mainly when using a larger or standard-size 7X11 DD when searching more open areas with sparse trash. I like the 2-Tone mode(s) when working low-to moderate littered sites with a mid-sized coil, like the 5½1X10 Double-D or Concentric, when iron nails are the primary ferrous trash offender at a location.

I opt for Di3 / 3-Tone mode (on the CoRe, Relic and Racer 2) for a lot of urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting in a trashier environment or close to metal structures, and for Relic Hunting when dealing with a lot of debris in an area, especially when I encounter a lot of sheet-iron such as rusty tin. In those cases I can get better target information, both visibly and audibly. Note that almost all of the time when I use a 3-Tone operation on a Racer 2, Relic or CoRe, it is when I have a smaller-size coil mounted to help deal with the dense trash and/or confined spaces caused by dense brush or building rubble.

Rich (Utah)
Does Di2 seem to operate smoother to you? Or is it just a perception since there are fewer different tones going on?

Rich -
The VCO enhanced modulated audio of the 2-Tone modes does tend to be 'smoother' to me and often less 'noisy' compared with the processed audio of the 3-Tone mode on the Racer 2, or CoRe or Relic. But I like how both the 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes perform and convey useful information in addition to just providing a good-target response.

Keep us posted on how you and your Racer 2 and coils are getting along, and I look forward to seeing you on one or both WTHO's this year .... better equipped. :wink:

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star Headphones w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg shovel and Digmaster digging tool

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Mode / Tone choices with the Racer 2.
Posted by: GlenOK
Date: March 23, 2017 08:39AM
Good info Monte , I,m new to the Racer and trying different modes. Do have preferences on the tone break in Mode 2 and 3? Thanks., GB

Choices with the Racer 2.
Date: March 24, 2017 10:04PM
Hi Monte,

Once I find a detector that fits, I tend to hang onto them a pretty long time. I am looking forward to the WTHO's as well. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it is ALWAYS appreciated.

Rich -

Monte
Rich, I am sure you are going to patiently put in the time to learn your Racer 2. Once you get comfortable with the mode you prefer to use for an attached search coil, then you can save all the settings you prefer for each different search mode and be ready to quickly shift to them on-the-fly if, and when, desired. We all have our preferences for search modes used, settings we like, and a Discriminate level that we can tolerate. I have found it interesting to read the modes and settings used by many posters. I know I have my preferences, and I don't mind sharing them, but I also definitely don't encourage anyone to use the settings that I like. They have to learn the detector and how it works, then settle on the settings for them and where and how they hunt.

I like to use the 2-Tone mode a lot, but mainly when using a larger or standard-size 7X11 DD when searching more open areas with sparse trash. I like the 2-Tone mode(s) when working low-to moderate littered sites with a mid-sized coil, like the 5½1X10 Double-D or Concentric, when iron nails are the primary ferrous trash offender at a location.

I opt for Di3 / 3-Tone mode (on the CoRe, Relic and Racer 2) for a lot of urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting in a trashier environment or close to metal structures, and for Relic Hunting when dealing with a lot of debris in an area, especially when I encounter a lot of sheet-iron such as rusty tin. In those cases I can get better target information, both visibly and audibly. Note that almost all of the time when I use a 3-Tone operation on a Racer 2, Relic or CoRe, it is when I have a smaller-size coil mounted to help deal with the dense trash and/or confined spaces caused by dense brush or building rubble.

The VCO enhanced modulated audio of the 2-Tone modes does tend to be 'smoother' to me and often less 'noisy' compared with the processed audio of the 3-Tone mode on the Racer 2, or CoRe or Relic. But I like how both the 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes perform and convey useful information in addition to just providing a good-target response.

Keep us posted on how you and your Racer 2 and coils are getting along, and I look forward to seeing you on one or both WTHO's this year .... better equipped. :wink:

GlenOK, here are my Tone Break and other settings:
Date: March 26, 2017 12:14PM
Racer 2:

GEN (All Metal): Gain-'90' .. Threshold-'55' .. iSAT-'01' .. .Audio Tone-'50' .. Tracking (All Modes)-'00'

Two- Tone (or Di2): Gain-'95' .. ID Filter (Disc.)-'03' .. Iron Audio-'02' .. Tone Break-'10' .. Audio Tone-'10'/'50'

Three-Tone (or Di3): Gain-'99' .. ID Filter (Disc.)-'03' .. Iron Audio-'02' .. Tone Break-'10'/'65' .. Audio Tone-'10'/'40'/'70'

COG (Beach): Gain-'90' .. ID Filter (Disc.)-'10' .. Iron Audio-'02' .. Tone Break-'10' .. Audio Tone-'10'/'70'

DEEP: Gain-'90' .. ID Filter (Disc.)-'03' .. Iron Audio-'02' .. Tone Break-'10' .. Audio Tone-'10'/'70'

I don't use Notch Disc. more than once or twice a year. My Tracking is almost always 'Off', set at '00', except maybe two or three times a year when I use it in All Metal GEN mode, if conditions allow. I prefer the highest Gain setting I can use, and will increase some of the 2-Tone modes, if I feel comfortable with it where I am hunting, or might reduce the Gain level, if there is EMI or other obvious reasons. To be honest, that seldom happens. All my Racer series, and Nokta FORS series and Impact models have preferred settings saved for each mode which makes all of them quick to get into action.

Sorry for the tardy reply but I have been away detecting for a couple of days. :detecting:

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

(503) 481-8147

Posted by: smitty2020
Date: March 26, 2017 12:59PM
Thank you When I get my Racer 2 I will be using those settings. :clapping:

Re: GlenOK, here are my Tone Break and other settings:
Posted by: GlenOK
Date: March 26, 2017 01:09PM
Thanks so much Monte. Will be trying these settings. GB

GlenOK .. Go ahead and try me settings, but remember,
Date: March 26, 2017 02:51PM
one of the things I really like about the CoRe, Relic, Impact, Gold Racer and Racer 2 is that they are really simple to set-up and operate, and that you can try any settings you like, and have the ability to Save all the settings you like to have to hunt YOUR way!

Find out what works for you in which search mode, and with which search coil(s), then the device is almost a "turn-on-and-go" type simile operation. Just power it up, Ground Balance, and away you go!

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

No blarney here, and you can try MY settings as well.
Date: March 26, 2017 03:49PM
54 minutes later Oregon Gregg caught my error and called me, but I was not able to Edit. Findmall Forum Folks ... PLEASE, extent the edit time to at least 1 hour or maybe 2.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Sataro
Date: March 30, 2017 10:50AM
Congrats on a great find!

Nokta Impact | Whites MXT Pro | Tesoro Vaquero | Tesoro Cibola | Lesche Digger | Garrett Pro-Pointer | Deteknix Xpointer

Racer 2
Date: March 31, 2017 12:19AM
Sounds like a great test Gregg, except I don't have one of Monte's Boards - I'll have to pick up an official Nail Board from him the next time we meet. I have plenty of nails and a 'copy' of the layout, but I don't think the scale is correct, in fact, I'm sure it isn't, which makes my tests good only for me.

I have been able to get out between rainstorms and do my own testing on live targets, swapping modes, changing settings, seeing what changes makes things better or worse. Lots to learn. Soon, I anticipate doing some door knocking and see how the Racer 2 does in some old yards. Lots of odds and ends in old yards. I have a couple areas I want to use the CORS 5" Point coil on that I have hunted HARD since 1985; to the point I haven't found any keepers for a while so I'm not expecting miracles, but if I can turn up a few, I would be IMPRESSED.

Rich

OregonGregg
Rich here is a good test. Do the nail board test in Di3, then do it again in Di2. In Di2 the target pops or does sound better. If a site was only infested with nails Di2 would be a good choice. But as we know they are not and Di3 becomes the better choice. With the rusted tin etc in Di3 it is easier to tell the rusted tin. For parks etc Di2 is a good choice. In fact to get a better answer, post this question over at Monte's site. He is far better at explaining stuff than I am ..........stay tuned Monte just happened to call.....so I told him to check this out :smile:

Rich, I am certain you are
Date: March 31, 2017 01:07AM
going to be impressed the more you use the Racer 2, be it old private yards or some of the older and well used parks over that direction.

I will have a handful of Nail Board kits with me on the Welcome-to-Hunt Outings in May and June, but I'll also have a couple along when I make a trip back to your area in the next few weeks. I need to get an 'original' Silver Sabre to a good friend in Ogden, and visit my youngest son and his family in Farmington, so I might fit in a drive down to meet up with you, if we are able to.

E-mail me and let me know what your work schedule usually is or what days or evening you might have available between now and the 9th, if you would, That way I can bring along a NB, let you check out the Nokta Impact, and who knows, maybe you'll find enough change out detecting to be interested in a used but very good-working Tesoro? :poke:

I'm up late working on getting a new-to-me detector ready for some appearance upgrade and start cleaning the few coins I have managed to round up out Coin Hunting this month. We started out with a lot of snow still keeping us at bay, and have had slowly improving weather to get out now and then, but also deal with a lot of rain that's causing a lot of rapid snow melt and flooding. Making it tough to get into several old sites until water recedes. So if you're still up, shoot me an e-mail.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login