Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Closer to Michigan..... (Nudge nudge) --- Well, shoot me some suggested Outing location ideas???N/T
Posted by: Monte
Date: June 04, 2017 06:39PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7
Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.
Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using White's Pro Star Headphones w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Tools: Using White's Ground Hawg shovel and Digmaster digging tool

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Racer & Racer 2 snags a few goodies.
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 05, 2017 08:20AM
I'm very impressed with your finds from the Racer 2.
Just curious about what your approximate percentage of trash to goodies are? Even with my Minelab Explorer I often dig trash just to see what it is. Ya just knever know. :-)

Beautiful finds! Wow! Love 'em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 08:21AM by Tony N (Michigan).

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: June 05, 2017 09:00AM
Tony N (Michigan)
curious about what your approximate percentage of trash to goodies are? Even with my Minelab Explorer I often dig trash just to see what it is. Ya just knever know. :-)

Well, I have no idea about the percentage of trash to goodies ratio, never have kept track. But when I post a pic of the finds I don't post one of the 5-gallon bucket of junk I also found that day. :smile: I dig a lot ( bad, iffy and of course good signals) Digging trash/junk is part of the game.

If I ever do get frustrated, it is when I detect hours on end, finally get that beautiful signal, one that you would bet your life that it is a coin, pop the coin out of the ground in a 150-year old ghost town and it's a 1960-70's era coin.

But you are absolutely right when you say " I often dig trash "signals" because you never know when that trash just might be something nice. Last year on the Red Racer I got a solid mid-tone signal, that was about 8 points lower on the VDI scale than a Nickel. In my mind I am thinking small 22 shell casing or something along those lines. I still dug the target out and to my surprise, it was an 1874 three cent Nickel. So yes sometimes that trash turns into something nice.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

"it was an 1874 three cent Nickel" ... for newcomers the this sport let me clarify.
Date: June 05, 2017 05:13PM
That was a 'nickel' (the primary metal alloy) 1874 3¢ piece. Some folks might struggle to figure out a 3¢ 5¢ coin thinking it was a 'Nickel' not knowing that some of the 3¢ pieces were made of 'silver' and some made of 'nickel.'

The tinier 'silver' 3¢ pieces are more difficult to find due to their small size, but the 'nickel' type 3¢ coins are more difficult to find due to the effects on the metal 'nickel' (a ferrous type or magnetic-based metal) on the EMF. Those are some of the coins we encounter, like a Flying Eagle or other 'fatty' type early Indian Head 1¢ coins that easily fool the 'average' Coin Hunting hobbyists into ignoring them because they don't have a nice-and-proper 'Coin Type' visual Target ID response, thus over-reliance on a visual TID can lead to many desirable coins/target being ignored because they7 don't appear to be a common coin.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: June 07, 2017 11:59AM
OregonGregg
Hi Brian, well weeded out for the most part, but we have been in the Wells area for five outings. Time to find different areas/places. For example, the one in Eastern Oregon gives the folks in western Oregon, WA and ID etc a chance to do an outing and not have to drive so far. So you have any spots ( not your top secret ones) in or around your area that might have potential for an outing next year ??

Monte would like to try and find spots in different areas of the US. That way it would give folks a shot at an outing that might be fairly close to them.

There are some in eastern NV (close to Austin) that I think merit a group hunt, let me think about it and I'll shoot Montee some suggestions.

My largest block is time to get out and detect :rant: Oh and most of my sites are getting played out :(

ttys,
Brian

Old sites to hunt ... :unsure:
Date: June 09, 2017 08:21AM
Brian,

If you have some site ideas, please share them.

Sorry you couldn't make this Outing we're enjoying right now. It's Friday morning, the 2nd or of 4-day WTHO here in Eastern Oregon. We have a very good turn-out of participants from Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington, and two of the three old coins found on our first day were made by Makro Racer 2 users.. Gregg Z. (aka Oregon Gregg) found an 1897 Indian Head 1¢, and Roger P. was working his Racer 2 when he found his oldest US coin, an 1863 Seated Liberty 10¢. That was near where Darby H., using a Fisher F75, had just recovered his oldest US coin to date, and 1836 Capped Bust 10¢.

Yes, many of the sites that have old coin potential have been hunted quite a bit and are getting 'thinned out' but we should never give up. The IH 1¢ came from the town I call 'Lonesome Arch.' and the two silver 10¢ coins came from the one I call 'Lone Tree.' The same towns where I pulled an 1953 large 1¢ just about 2 months ago.

I am always open to any suggestions to try and work up another Welcome-to-Hunt Outing, either for next years Putting agenda, or possibly even try to fit one in this year for early September.

We hope to see you on one of the nest WTHO's, and best of success in the meantime.

Monte

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

(503) 481-8147

A fun trip.
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: June 13, 2017 06:36AM
Was a fun outing these last few days over here in Eastern Oregon. Some nice coins and artifacts were found. I didn't manage to snag any silver on this trip, instead just opting to stay low key with an 1897 IH, 1925 Buffalo and 1906 V . The last day we hunted a local park and got a 1944 Wheatie.

We originally had three sites on the list but one became overgrown with weeds and only hunted the two. The two sites were only approx 2 miles apart ( Lone Tree started first and was the oldest and years later moved to what became Lone Arch ) so you could hunt one awhile pop over to the other and see what was happing etc.

All my finds came from Lone Arch as Lone Tree was not being good to me. The one pic is a shot of Lone Tree ( Lol the tree didn't make it in the pic)

I was using the Red Racer & Racer 2.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login