Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: The Haters keep on Bashing our Racer!
Posted by: Kapok
Date: July 16, 2017 09:24PM
Cal_Cobra
I suspect some of the Racers up for sale are from people that upgraded to the Impact. I have the Red Racer, Racer2 and Impact, and to be honest, I'm not seeing a need to keep the Racers now that I have the Impact, same with my F75 LTD2, their redundant.
Do you see a marked improvement in the Impact over the R2? I have the R2 and love it, but would upgrade to the Impact if it is significantly better.

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Posted by: kajunman
Date: July 17, 2017 06:23AM
Cal_Cobra
I suspect some of the Racers up for sale are from people that upgraded to the Impact. I have the Red Racer, Racer2 and Impact, and to be honest, I'm not seeing a need to keep the Racers now that I have the Impact, same with my F75 LTD2, their redundant.

The Impact certainly appears to be a formidable, versatile machine. If it was waterproof that would up the ante even more. I think Makro/Nokta's next detector will be waterproof.

Posted by: staffydog33
Date: July 17, 2017 02:22PM
Makro are currently in the process of making the next Makro Racer and it will be waterproof.

I'm waiting, but soon as it's released...i'm buying one!!:clapping:

Matt

Posted by: Dave_E
Date: July 17, 2017 08:28PM
I know Dilek said they were working on a waterproof unit, but I never heard that it was a racer.

I love my Racer 2 and will never part with it, but I'd add a waterproof Racer or Impact as soon as they come out.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: July 18, 2017 12:12AM
Kapok
Cal_Cobra
Do you see a marked improvement in the Impact over the R2? I have the R2 and love it, but would upgrade to the Impact if it is significantly better.

I'm not sure I'd say I see a marked improvement per se, but the Impact gives me additional tools that I don't have on my Racer2. I had a couple of alkali soil sites that my 13-14Khz machines (Racers and F75) struggled at, but when I tried the Impact there, DI3 mode, simply switching from 14Khz to 20Khz tamed the site.

Posted by: Sonnyd
Date: July 19, 2017 03:20PM
Cal_Cobra

I think you are Absolutely Correct, about upgrading. I traded a two month old F75SE for a Red Racer, and I couldn't be happier. The F75 was "sketchy" at best on targets and even with DST was too noisy. Everyone is on the upgrade train. I've seen like new AT Pro's with accessories for sale for under 350, and even ones that aren't that cheap are way less then they were before the AT Max was introduced... In my case my trade for the Red Racer was the Best Thing to ever happen to me.... I don't have as much time detecting as some on here do, But I've go 30+ years in... Still no perfect detector out there, LOL

Date: July 19, 2017 03:22PM
Southwind
So if you don't praise the Racer as the greatest thing since sliced bread you're a "hater"

Says a lot about the company IMO.

Sometimes reality SUX doesn't it! Especially when people are willing to speak what's on their mind.

Can't say I've seen one at $250 but there is one right now at $270 that hasn't sold. A hint of the future R2 and Impact I think?

and it has a Repaired coil... How good was the repair??.... Some variables in that sale... Hope people stay skeptical, then maybe prices will come down, and I can buy a couple of each...I Love them......

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: July 19, 2017 04:04PM
It was me that Bought the Red Racer with the "fixed" coil. My kid cousin is just getting into detecting. He had a cameo colored commando Bounty Hunter thing. I did the right thing....I broke it over my knee and tossed it in the dumpster.

I just wanted to get the Red Racer. I know what it can do and will be a good lil' machine to learn on. As far as the coil if it stays together.....good. If not it will get tossed. I have quite a few extra Racer coils, so no shortage there. So in the meantime, he has been practicing up with my Red Racer. I am taking him to an old ghost town Sat. and let him play in all the iron nails and rusted tin. When he heads back to CO. he should have a Red Racer waiting for him. I'll send him home with a few extra coils to use.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: July 19, 2017 07:02PM
Kool Greg... I doubt you will ever have a problem with the repaired coil, but like you say you got it covered. Those of us that know how good these machines are, aren't fooled by the stuff like, "sure are a lot for sale" or "they sure are cheap, must not be any good" posts... Like my first post when I got mine, less then an hour in a spot I'd hunted many times with the F75 and AT Pro...Bam, that Gold class ring. I know I won't be selling mine soon. I traded a machine I paid 700 dollars for, for one that I knew I could buy new for 400. I did it because the F75. did NOT work for me, and the fact that I offered it Shipped for 350, and it sat like a lead weight...only offer I got on it was for 250, and I had to drive 1/2 way (70) miles to meet the guy... I Love both my Makro and Nokta. Btw, you got a heck of a deal, but you already know that. I'm still Loving that NEL Sharp!
Regards Sonny

Date: July 19, 2017 07:24PM
Heck, I still use my Red Racer all the time. That lil Red Racer has found me some nice coins, a half dime, a three cent piece (nickel type) a really beautiful condition 1861S seated quarter and the list goes on. In fact, most the time now, I leave the Snake coil on the Racer 2 and hunt the trashiest areas, to utilize the iron audio feature and I have the NEL Sharpshooter on the Red Racer for the less trashy or fringe areas of a ghost town. On Red, with the sharpshooter coil, I just flip to 3 tone, gain 70 and put the ID Filter at 21 and swing away.
And yep that NEL Sharp coil is a mean little coil.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: July 20, 2017 02:32AM
OregonGregg
He had a cameo colored commando Bounty Hunter thing. I did the right thing....I broke it over my knee and tossed it in the dumpster.

LMAO :detecting:

A Red Racer for $250, for that price you won't find a better machine, and it'll turn a beginner into a pro in no time!

Date: July 20, 2017 08:27AM
Hey Brian how you been doing? Looks like you had a fun trip with Tom CA not long ago. See ya guys found some nice stuff.

But yep the Racer will make a great machine to start learning and he won't grow out of it anytime soon. Plus being a machine I use makes it a lot easier to answer questions etc.

I read your post on the other site last night. It is a lot of info to digest. So I will re-read it again tonight. ( And I thought Monte was the only one that could make a post that rivals War & Peace :tongue: ) I can't say yet if it is making me lean towards an Impact or makes me appreciate even more the simplicity and performance of the Racer models. But it does sound like the Impact is doing you a great job.

gregg

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: July 20, 2017 06:25PM
Another great thing about the Red Racer and that NEL Sharp is........It's Freakin LIGHT......my shovel weighs about 3 times more then the Racer, LOL......

Date: July 21, 2017 03:53PM
OregonGregg
Hey Brian how you been doing? Looks like you had a fun trip with Tom CA not long ago. See ya guys found some nice stuff.

But yep the Racer will make a great machine to start learning and he won't grow out of it anytime soon. Plus being a machine I use makes it a lot easier to answer questions etc.

I read your post on the other site last night. It is a lot of info to digest. So I will re-read it again tonight. ( And I thought Monte was the only one that could make a post that rivals War & Peace :tongue: ) I can't say yet if it is making me lean towards an Impact or makes me appreciate even more the simplicity and performance of the Racer models. But it does sound like the Impact is doing you a great job.

gregg

Hey Gregg, Doing OK, just trying to stay cool lately :hot:

I can't compete with Monte in post length, I just don't have it in me to type out the Great American Novel - lol Aside from the (poor) ergonomics, the Impact is quite a step up from the Racers. If nothing else, having the same modes as the Racers gives you the ability to run it just like the Racers, but now you have the ability to switch frequencies which has been a game changer for me. Add to that all of the additional search modes, and I cannot justify taking more then one detector with me (aside from a backup in case the Impact fails). I just wish the grip was more ergonomic as it slows me down, whereas the Racers are so light that the ergonomics of the grip are more forgiving.

Tom and I had a decent trip, but it was more of a recon trip then anything. It led us to research more old sites to detect and scratch a few off our list. We're heading back out at the end of July, I'm just praying for some cooler weather....probably too much to ask for in the desert in the middle of the summer eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 03:56PM by Cal_Cobra.

Date: July 21, 2017 08:20PM
LOL I told Monte that same thing early on. If I bought an Impact machine, I would put it in 14KHz and set it up exactly as I would my Racer 2.......kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying one. Plus I guess ya have to consider the person swinging the machine. Hell, I'm just a dumb hayseed from Idaho, now living in Oregon. Simplicity works for me ( the Racers) Now you, your more of the geeky silicon valley type and the Impact is right up your alley ( i.e. Ya have a few more grey cells than me :) )

Monte told me awhile back, ya need performance and keep it as simple as you can. I 've followed that train of thought ever since. I just like to take my 2 dogs out, let'm run and I detect. If I find some goodies, that's great. If not it still was a fun day for me and the dogs. :smile:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login