Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: 7" concentric for Racer
Posted by: oleterryg
Date: August 30, 2017 03:36PM
In a 2 hour hunt this morning, I found 26 older clad coins, 4 q, 4 d, 1 n, 17 p. Two of the q were 1965. Close.

I hunted a small area around a ball field, beyond the outfield. I really wasn't expecting much, but wanted to give much new combo a shot. I love the 7" coil. Flat out I do. Of course the 7" is no good without the Red Racer. It's a magnificent combo.

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: September 01, 2017 09:35AM
Finally had a chance to use the 7" concentric coil on my Racer 2. And as everyone has stated above it's a great coil. Took it out to one of my local ghost towns and it found some keepers, a Chinese cash coin and doo dads. Its the little button with the flower design, it's about the same diameter as a pencil erasure. In the iron nail/trash mix, it was able to hit that and sniff it out. I was impressed.

The coil works nicely and provides additional coverage without being a "big" coil. On Rusted Tin pieces, well, rusted tin is rusted tin and the nightmare in any ghost town. The rusted bottle caps it would knock them down into lower numbers and give a better scratchy signal and if you backed the coil off a little bit the numbers would immediately drop, generally, on a good non-ferrous target the numbers will hold fairly tight when you back the coil off slightly.

It's great to see Nokta/Makro finally come out with a concentric coil. It's definitely a coil that will stay in my arsenal and will get a whole lot of use. That's one of the things nice about the Racer(s) is the coil selection. You can get a coil that is 4.7x5" up to 15" with a nice selection of sizes in between.

Now if I could just get a Concentric for my Fors CoRe :smile:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: September 01, 2017 10:28AM
Gregg----(IYO), what's that new 7" concentric doing better than the Snake coil on the Racer 2 in our ghost towns/old camps out here?-----I can usually tell the steel b.c.'s (crown caps) with the Snake--but the busted tin still gives me fits.-----Is that new coil any better in that regard?---------Also--is it passing the nail board 8 for 8?-----------Del

"Now if I could just get a Concentric for my Fors CoRe ":smile:
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 01, 2017 10:46AM
Gregg, you are another who now offers their wish for a similar 7" round Concentric coil for their Nokta FORS CoRe, and I'll add a need/desire to produce one for the also excellent FORS Relic. I know that my 7" Concentric is staying full-time on one of my Nokta Impacts, and I would like to have such a Concentric coil for the CoRe and relic as well. As you are now finding with the Racer 2, this new design 7" Concentric is a 'must-have' coil for any avid detectorist!

And you are also correct, as most of us know, the Nokta / Makro team are great at listening to and working hard to meet the needs of their loyal consumers.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe (Using mainly the 'OOR', 5", 4X7½, 5X9½ open-frame DD's or 7" Concentric coils as needed. Other coils on-hand.)
Tesoro:
Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave (With either a 6" or 7" Concentric coil in use, or maybe 8X11 DD on the Vaquero.)

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

"but the busted tin still gives me fits.-----Is that new coil any better in that regard?"
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 01, 2017 10:51AM
Yes, it is. Like a good Concentric coil, it surpasses the Double-D's in many ways with more tell-tale audio and visual information.

D&P-OR
Gregg----(IYO), what's that new 7" concentric doing better than the Snake coil on the Racer 2 in our ghost towns/old camps out here?-----I can usually tell the steel b.c.'s (crown caps) with the Snake--but the busted tin still gives me fits.-----Is that new coil any better in that regard?---------Also--is it passing the nail board 8 for 8?-----------Del
I'm not Gregg, but absolutely, no problems at all on the NBPT as it gives very clean responses, 8-out-of-8 without a whimper.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe (Using mainly the 'OOR', 5", 4X7½, 5X9½ open-frame DD's or 7" Concentric coils as needed. Other coils on-hand.)
Tesoro:
Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave (With either a 6" or 7" Concentric coil in use, or maybe 8X11 DD on the Vaquero.)

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 01, 2017 01:28PM
Monte - Have you heard when Nokta will be shipping the concentrics for the Impact? I keep checking but I haven't been able to find one for the Impact. Wish I could have been a tester for that coil.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: September 01, 2017 03:52PM
Hey Del, so what does the 7" concentric have that the Snake doesn't.....

I feel for most the sites I am not losing performance using this coil while gaining a bit more coverage at the same time. But only having the coil a few days I do want to see what it can really do. On the NBT with a zinc penny, the coil had no problem what so ever doing the test. In fact, Monte has a T2 Classic that he got in a trade deal that has a Snake coil attached to it. On the NBT the 7" Concentric coil outperformed the T2. The 7" easily hit 8 of 8 while the T2 struggled on a couple of the directions. The Racer 2 with that coil also gave a cleaner response in 2 & 3 tones over the T2. I also tried my R2 with Snake coil getting the same results. So in most situations ( maybe all) the 7" gives me the performance without much worry.

However, for my own curiosity, I will do the Unstandard NBT, making the test harder and harder until the last coil standing. I want to see how this coil hangs in there with the smaller OOR coil, 5" coil and the NEL's. My gut feeling is it will do pretty darn good. And as Monte stated the Concentric does help in identifying the crap better. Am I ready to throw my snake coil away.........nope. I'm pretty parcel to that coil, it does very well in hunting those iron/rusted tin sites.

My thinking now is that I will prob use the 7" to hunt sites like Lone Tree, Cobre, Tobar etc.....trashy sites but not extremely trashy. Sites like Toano where I couldn't even ground balance the oor coil without walking back out to the road we drove in on to finally find a spot that was free of iron/rusted tin etc. In the extreme trash, I'll still grab my snake coil. I am familiar with it and know what it can do. But like I said, time will tell. I do know that I will be using the new 7" coil a lot. I feel it's a great coil to have in the arsenal. Even if not hunting ghost towns, it would be a great "all round" coil to have. It's a breeze to swing on the Racer 2.

Sidenote: On the NBT that we did yesterday, we randomly picked a spot and threw the NBT down on the ground while at "lone tree'' So, besides the 4 nails to contend with, there was other debris in the ground and under the nail board, the reason why the T2 struggled on a few directions. We then raised the coil while doing the test to see how high we could get above the board before losing a reading entirely, the T2 was able to get about 1 to 1.5" higher over the Racer 2. Monte ran the T2 while doing the test and I used my Racer 2's

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: September 01, 2017 08:20PM
Thanks for the responses guys.----I guess I will have to pull out my ever de-flatting wallet & get one of 'em.:smile:-----I'll tell you one thing though---it's got one tough act to follow with that Snake coil on the Racer 2 (in my humble opinion).----The 7" C does sound like a nice/effective coil.--------Del

Date: September 01, 2017 08:35PM
I've owned my Red Racer for around two months. The stock coil was too heavy for my troubled hands. So I quickly purchased the 5" dd, which I used until purchasing the 7" c.

Imho, the Red Racer/7" combo is magnificent. Perfect. I don't know how it could possibly get any better. Everything Monte and Gregg have said is very true.

Date: September 02, 2017 03:08PM
I don't think it is my imagination, and I don't take measurements, except with my Lesche shovel blade and Pin pointer, but I am finding coins, bottle caps, and pull tabs, deeper than I have experienced with any detector/coil combo. I am talking about my Red Racer/ 7" concentric, combo. Just flat out digging deeper targets. I believe this coil is juiced up.

Dug up 2 wheaties this morning. Both were as deep or deeper than Makro PP. Depth reading on Racer was 7", the length of shovel blade. After digging up a 7" dirt ball, I still had to dig some more depth with my Lesche knife. Bingo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 03:16PM by oleterryg.

7" concentric for Racer
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: September 05, 2017 09:48PM
I have a 7" Concentric on the way. I have just the place to give it a run and see how she does.

Rich (Utah)

* minelab etrac * makro racer 2 * minelab equinox 800 *. . and others *

1st day of detecting school . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted by: Kapok
Date: September 05, 2017 10:10PM
Got my concentric but have only hunted with it once. I took it to a spot with a lot of deep iron with 1920s-40s era coins above and mixed in, and it performed admirably. ID was spot on for the targets I dug. I haven't yet determined if the depth and separation rivals the OOR coil. Although I'm not a nail board test kind of guy, but I love hearing the results from you who are, so thanks for that.

I love the way it feels on the Racer--balance is perfect. I'll put the concentric through its paces more this week.

Thanks again to Nokta/Makro for their responsiveness in offering us so many coil choices.

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login