Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Why use a Racer 2 rather than a Deus?
Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: September 09, 2017 09:14PM
Why the Impact ?? just because a machine has the ability to change freq. doesn't make it better. Give me a Racer 2 with a Nel Sharp coil or a Fors Core with the oor coil and I will out do your Impact machine in an iron /rusted tin infested site. The Impact is a great " all round" machine and does a lot of things good.........My Racer 2 or Fors CoRe with a proper coil attached, for the sites, I like to hunt ......does one thing great.

As far as the Deus.....depends on the environment you want to hunt. It's kinda like a Minelab....if you want to hunt parks it does ok. If you want to hunt extremely iron infested /rusted tin old sites like ghost towns etc.....there are better choices. You can try to convince yourself a 9" coil is going to do it all, it won't. It's no match against a small coil on any of the Nokta /Makro machines when it comes to handling these iron infested old sites. Like Monte has told me over and over....there isn't one perfect detector made. So I find what I think works best for me and the sites I like to hunt.

I hunt old ghost towns and old sites that are littered with iron and rusted tin 98% of the time....that's the kind of sites I am only interested in. Parks etc hold no interest for me. So I guess when you read my post....I am looking at this from that P.O.V I'm not saying the other machines are no good. I'm just saying what works for me in these old nasty sites.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: September 10, 2017 09:39AM
The ability to change frequencies makes it more flexible to the conditions you may be facing in the field. And from that standpoint, it flat out IS better. Give the Impact a smaller coil, and you may not do better.

I had a Racer 2 and saw no need for it after getting the Impact so I sold it. That doesn't make it a bad machine, I just felt it was redundant as the Impact in my opinion can do pretty much anything the Racer can, and then some. But the Racer cannot do everything the Impact can in terms of adjusting to your local field conditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 09:41AM by GroundHug.

Date: September 10, 2017 10:12AM
First off I want to say sorry. I didn't try/mean to come across so crash :smile: But yes I'll agree that the Impact does offer more than the Racer(s) as far as features and might give slight advantages because of those features, but, I also feel that the Impact does not make the other machines ( Racers, Fors Core and Relic) obsolete. And yes a 5" coil on the Impact does a tremendous job and will be for most intents and purposes all you need in trashy sites.

But as far as "Flat out Better" no, not always. In the extreme iron trashy sites, the Racer 2 with either a NEL Snake or Sharp and the CoRe with the oor coil will still unmask better than your Impact regardless of Freq. I realize that most people with an Impact are not hunting extremely iron /rusted tin infested sites. That is why I stated it was my opinion, my P.O.V In my area in Eastern Oregon, those are the sites I hit almost all the time. These little towns have one park and then ya have to travel miles to get to another so I almost never hunt the parks, instead I just enjoy hitting old stage stops, ghost towns, and old homestead sites etc.

But yes I agree, the Impact is a very nice machine and offers a lot of features/modes etc. But if all I have is a Racer, no worries, it will get the job done too.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: oleterryg
Date: September 10, 2017 11:20AM
Gregg, what about your White's M6? Compared to Racer?

Date: September 10, 2017 12:06PM
Hi Terry,
Back in the day it was an MXT and the M6. Actually, I used the M6 the most. Put a ton of hours on that lil machine and it did find me a bunch of stuff. But then back in early 2015, I got a Fors CoRe and shortly after that the Red Racer launched and got it too. It didn't take long to realize that the MXT and M6 in the iron infested sites didn't do near as well as the CoRe and Red Racer did.

I sold the MXT and kept the M6, more for sentimental reasons. Also, the M6 is still a heck of a coin shooter machine. I take it out and play with it once in awhile.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Date: September 10, 2017 12:45PM
Oh. I didn't realize the M6 had been out there that long.

Posted by: Old Virginia
Date: September 11, 2017 10:57AM
GroundHug
The ability to change frequencies makes it more flexible to the conditions you may be facing in the field. And from that standpoint, it flat out IS better. Give the Impact a smaller coil, and you may not do better.

I had a Racer 2 and saw no need for it after getting the Impact so I sold it. That doesn't make it a bad machine, I just felt it was redundant as the Impact in my opinion can do pretty much anything the Racer can, and then some. But the Racer cannot do everything the Impact can in terms of adjusting to your local field conditions.

I considered the Impact, but the weight scared me off. To me (and others that have shoulder/elbow join issues) that's a HUGE negative.

Yes, it's an 'older' model, by comparison.
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 11, 2017 10:59AM
oleterryg
Oh. I didn't realize the M6 had been out there that long.
Yes, the White's original MXR was followed by the M6 which eliminated several adjustment functions and incorporated a 7-Tone Audio ID. It was intended to be a 'simplified' MXT especially for urban Coin Hunting needs. Later, White's modified the original MXT and morphed it into the MXT Pro. Doing so they worked it to add the M6's 7=-Tone Audio ID. The MXT Pro was around for a couple of years before the decided to mess it up and add a 10" DD coil as 'standard' and called it the MXT All-Pro. The only difference, other than the coil, was an 'All' sticker on the side decal. All the while the M6 had been around.

The White's MXT, M6, MXT Pro/All-Pro and (what I consider the better Coin Hunting or versatile unit of the batch) the MX5 have been around longer than the popular Nokta FORS series and Makro Racer series models. They do work .... but do NOT work as well, or have as many useful adjustment features, search coil options and in-the-field performance as the Racer 2, FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Impact. Those White's modes are not bad, they can perform, but just not as well or as comfortably as the Makro & Nokta units which are more versatile.

See below as a hint.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe (Using mainly the 'OOR', 5", 4X7½, 5X9½ open-frame DD's or 7" Concentric coils as needed. Other coils on-hand.)
Tesoro:
Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave (With either a 6" or 7" Concentric coil in use, or maybe 8X11 DD on the Vaquero.)

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Date: September 11, 2017 11:13AM
Gregg, Monte, thanks for the well written, informative, information. This encourages my belief in my Red Racer. I can't wait to get to a salt water beach in October, to give the Racer a go. While I love my DeLeon, and wouldn't part with it for what I paid new, it just didn't handle wet salty sand very well.

Being new to this hobby, I count it a privilege to own both a DeLeon and a Red Racer. "IIt's a good time to be me". So to speak.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:06PM
LOL well speaking for myself, its just my opinion, rather good or bad. As far as beach hunting, I have never hunted on a beach. I have seen a few videos on you tube that folks made, I think DigFella did a good one of the Red Racer on the beach. It seemed to do darn good.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: staffydog33
Date: September 11, 2017 12:17PM
Please god, don't let Calbash Digger see this thread, or we'll never hear the end of how shi* the Racer is and every other detector in the world, compared to the Deus...lol

Matt.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:34PM
Old Virginia, I'm with you on the weight issue. That's another reason I like the RR so much with the 7" coil. Just perfect.

The only other metal detectorist I ever met, was swinging a AT Pro with what looked like an 11" coil. That thing was heavy, I mean real heavy. I figured 30 min would be tops for me.
He swung my Deleon with a 5.75 coil, and said: "Man, this is like swinging nothing."

Date: September 11, 2017 12:39PM
oleterryg
Gregg, Monte, thanks for the well written, informative, information. This encourages my belief in my Red Racer. I can't wait to get to a salt water beach in October, to give the Racer a go. While I love my DeLeon, and wouldn't part with it for what I paid new, it just didn't handle wet salty sand very well.

Being new to this hobby, I count it a privilege to own both a DeLeon and a Red Racer. "IIt's a good time to be me". So to speak.

I recently used the R2 on the beach. Ran VERY quiet. Though I didn't have a lot of time, I was impressed with how it performed.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:40PM
oleterryg
Old Virginia, I'm with you on the weight issue. That's another reason I like the RR so much with the 7" coil. Just perfect.

The only other metal detectorist I ever met, was swinging a AT Pro with what looked like an 11" coil. That thing was heavy, I mean real heavy. I figured 30 min would be tops for me.
He swung my Deleon with a 5.75 coil, and said: "Man, this is like swinging nothing."

I love my AT Pro's, but I only use the small 5x8 coil. The stock 11" coil is awful, in my opinion.

Date: September 11, 2017 12:41PM
Old Virginia
oleterryg

I recently used the R2 on the beach. Ran VERY quiet. Though I didn't have a lot of time, I was impressed with how it performed.

That's great to hear (read).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login