Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Makro Racer 2 which coil to buy 5" or 4.5" X 5"N/T
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: September 09, 2017 08:44AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Makro Racer 2 which coil to buy 5" or 4.5" X 5"
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: September 09, 2017 11:17AM
Frank----Get the NEL Snake, you can't do better than that in a small coil for the R2 (IMO).----OOR coil (4.5"X5") would be my next choice.-----------Del
Frank in NH
n/t

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: September 09, 2017 02:03PM
Yep, I agree with Del, I would go for the Nel Snake/Cors Shrew ( exact same coil).

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Frank, my preference has always been to favor a
Posted by: Monte
Date: September 11, 2017 05:49PM
search coil made by the detector manufacturer. If they know how to make a decent detector, they should do the same with their search coils.

While I have used and like the NEL Snake elliptical DD coil, for me I prefer the slightly Out-Of-Round, which I call an 'OOR' coil, on the Racer, Racer 2 and FORS CoRe. I do use the 5+ round-shaped DD on my Nokta FORS Relic and Impact, and have used that size / shape coil on the Racer 2 and it worked just fine, but for the majority of the places most people hunt and the targets they are after in a very littered site, the 4.7X5.2 DD 'OOR' coil gets my vote.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact w/7" C., Impact w/5X9½ DD, Relic w/5" DD, Relic w/5½X10 C., Relic w/7X11 DD, CoRe w/'OOR' DD and CoRe w/7X11 DD
Tesoro:
Vaquero w/6" C., Bandido II µMAX w/6" C., Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" C. and Mojave w/7" C.

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: dfmike
Date: September 11, 2017 07:14PM
Monte, who sells that OOR coil or where can I find it ? On the Nokta site, there seems to be only 4 coils for the CoRe including the 5" round coil but no OOR that I can see. Could it be an older design ?

Active detectors: Fisher F5 , Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705

Posted by: Dave_E
Date: September 12, 2017 11:16AM
dfmike
Monte, who sells that OOR coil or where can I find it ? On the Nokta site, there seems to be only 4 coils for the CoRe including the 5" round coil but no OOR that I can see. Could it be an older design ?

I think the OOR coil is only a Makro coil.

Date: September 12, 2017 11:26AM
No, they also provide an "oor" coil for the Forse CoRe. The Red Racer and Fors CoRe & Fors Gold had 'oor Coils. Then the Racer 2 came along. The R2 and Relic both got the newer 5" round coils. You can go to Kellyco and get an "oor" coil for the Fors CoRe. In fact, you have a choice. If you like White colored coils you can get the Fors Gold "oor" coil.The Fors CoRe oor coil is black. The Fors Gold and CoRe coils are compatible. ( but Not the Fors Gold +)

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: September 12, 2017 11:53AM
I've found that for my Racer2, I really only need two coils - the Snake/Shrew coil and the factory 10"x5.5" DD, aside from the 15.5" coil, all the others are redundant once you have the Snake/Shrew coil and the factory 10"x5.5" DD IMHO.

Date: September 12, 2017 11:56AM
Gregg-----You're gittin tah be a coil expert!----How do ya keep all that straight? (I'm kiddin ya)-----Patsy & I each got the OOR coils for our CoRe detectors--they just have the "Nokta" decal on them.---We also got the 5" round for the Relic--it has the "Nokta Relic" words on the decal for it.---They are all black coils.-----------Del
OregonGregg
No, they also provide an "oor" coil for the Forse CoRe. The Red Racer and Fors CoRe & Fors Gold had 'oor Coils. Then the Racer 2 came along. The R2 and Relic both got the newer 5" round coils. You can go to Kellyco and get an "oor" coil for the Fors CoRe. In fact, you have a choice. If you like White colored coils you can get the Fors Gold "oor" coil.The Fors CoRe oor coil is black. The Fors Gold and CoRe coils are compatible. ( but Not the Fors Gold +)

Date: September 12, 2017 12:15PM
LOL yep Del, I'm an expert, an "ex" is a has been and a "spert" is a drip under pressure :smoke:

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 12, 2017 11:54PM
For the Racer 2, in order of preference for iron infested sites.
1. CORS Shrew or NEL Snake
2. Makro OOR
3. Makro 5" round

JMHO even though I'm right. :clapping:

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: September 13, 2017 06:14AM
Tom why do you find the Shrew better then the OOR? I have the regular 5", guess I should not have sold the Shrew. I do have the OOR for my Nokta.

Posted by: Kapok
Date: September 13, 2017 08:15AM
Likewise, I sold my Cors Fortune and wish I had it back. I'd buy the Makro 9.5x5 coil if I could find it anywhere.

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 13, 2017 09:19AM
I prefer the Shrew because I feel it's a little sharper or has a more narrow field of detection left to right and I like the added length front to back for a little more coverage. Of course the added length can be a hindrance if you have a piece of junk close to a good target one way but I try to hunt trashy areas from more than one direction.

I also have the CORS Fortune and preferred it over the Makro 5.5x10" solid coil. I don't know that I actually preferred the Fortune but between the two, I figured the Makro coil would sell for more and I like the CORS just as well, so the Makro went to Fleabay

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Date: September 13, 2017 01:06PM
Tom-----What do you think of the CORS Fortune compared to a NEL Sharpshooter on your Racer 2?
Tom Slick
I prefer the Shrew because I feel it's a little sharper or has a more narrow field of detection left to right and I like the added length front to back for a little more coverage. Of course the added length can be a hindrance if you have a piece of junk close to a good target one way but I try to hunt trashy areas from more than one direction.

I also have the CORS Fortune and preferred it over the Makro 5.5x10" solid coil. I don't know that I actually preferred the Fortune but between the two, I figured the Makro coil would sell for more and I like the CORS just as well, so the Makro went to Fleabay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login