Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Racer 2 impresses
Posted by: semtav
Date: September 12, 2017 10:12PM
Picked up my Racer 2 from the PO this evening so I thought I'd go test it in a little spot that is full of bottle caps. I've found quite a few silver dimes and wheats here, but had finally run out of good signals with my MXT All Pro with the standard coil on it. Thought it would be a good place to test out the Racer, because I bought it specifically to hunt trashy areas. Put the 5" coil on it, and just turned it on and put it in the two tone mode. Didn't do anything else to it. It sniffed out a wheat penny amongst the other signals in about 5 minutes time. Just impressed that it could do that with the junk that was there. I purposely hadn't dug up all the bottle caps specifically for this reason. I can't say the MXT wouldn't have found it with a smaller coil, but the MXT loves bottle caps so its been hard to distinguish between them and coins at times. Not so with the Racer, totally different sound,

Re: Racer 2 impresses
Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 12, 2017 11:49PM
Try this around those pesky bottle caps.
Small Coil
Three Tone
Gain 50
ID Filter 13
Tone Breaks 29 & 75
Tones 10 hz, 35 hz, 70 hz
Iron volume 0

You're right about the bottle caps and coins sounding different. Just place one of each about 6 inches apart and swing over them. The bottle caps have a rough or jagged sound as if the detector is seeing the jagged edge of the cap. Coins are smooth and round sounding.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: semtav
Date: September 13, 2017 02:03PM
Tom Slick
Try this around those pesky bottle caps.
Small Coil
Three Tone
Gain 50
ID Filter 13
Tone Breaks 29 & 75
Tones 10 hz, 35 hz, 70 hz
Iron volume 0

You're right about the bottle caps and coins sounding different. Just place one of each about 6 inches apart and swing over them. The bottle caps have a rough or jagged sound as if the detector is seeing the jagged edge of the cap. Coins are smooth and round sounding.

Thanks Tom, I'll give that a try. Gonna go double check a homestead I hit with the MXT last week. see if I can snoop anything out of the trash.

Posted by: below2doe
Date: September 13, 2017 03:39PM
What about aluminium screw caps Tom, Is their any way you can get a slight difference between a coin and the cap when the vdi is the same. Using the racer2 & the Impact.

Regards Below2doe.

Posted by: Kapok
Date: September 13, 2017 04:46PM
below2doe
What about aluminium screw caps Tom, Is their any way you can get a slight difference between a coin and the cap when the vdi is the same. Using the racer2 & the Impact.

Regards Below2doe.
Those are tough, especially when they're deep. IMO they give more of a "blat" sound and ID in the 50s. But I usually end up digging them anyway....

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: September 13, 2017 05:47PM
I haven't really tried to eliminate the aluminum screw caps. Like Kapok above, I dig em because many other targets can have the same VDI numbers.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login