Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Bye Bye Racer soon.
Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 17, 2017 06:34PM
While I agree LOCATION is among the most important factors to a successful hunt, But even a old coin rich location is worthless without a good detector capable of taking advantage of that great location.

Our club hunted the city park for 20 years with all kinds of different machines. Not beginner detectorist either, but well seasoned hunters. We used all kinds of detectors from Garrett's Tesoro's and never found anything but a hand full of wheats that were more than likely recent drops. Not until one day I bought a new high tech detector and took it to that park just for testing. What I found was thousands of old coins we had missed all those years. So many that there were more multiple coin holes than single coin holes. The coins had been dropped for so many years they were stacked on top of one another. My buddies bought them a new high tech detector and those detectors turned what we thought was a cleaned out baron site to one of the coin rich site to date.

Location is important, but having a good detector rates very highly as well.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: October 18, 2017 09:37AM
Attention Nox-A-Bees-----stay outta tall buildings.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: October 18, 2017 03:56PM
Southwind
While I agree LOCATION is among the most important factors to a successful hunt, But even a old coin rich location is worthless without a good detector capable of taking advantage of that great location.

Our club hunted the city park for 20 years with all kinds of different machines. Not beginner detectorist either, but well seasoned hunters. We used all kinds of detectors from Garrett's Tesoro's and never found anything but a hand full of wheats that were more than likely recent drops. Not until one day I bought a new high tech detector and took it to that park just for testing. What I found was thousands of old coins we had missed all those years. So many that there were more multiple coin holes than single coin holes. The coins had been dropped for so many years they were stacked on top of one another. My buddies bought them a new high tech detector and those detectors turned what we thought was a cleaned out baron site to one of the coin rich site to date.

Definitely agree, I'd love to find a site like you encountered.

Years ago I had a spot, that given its history, I knew had to be a decent spot, but in my early detecting years, the machines I had didn't get much there.

What I discovered is that the ground at this site was mineralized, and someone had strip mined this site digging the top 6" of targets. I found that after I got a CZ70 that could handle both the ground mineralization and punch through to the deeper strata of coins, that someone basically did me a favor by removing the top 6" of junk, and left the older coins :) Ended up recovering dozens of old silver coins, IHPs, early wheaties, tokens, etc.

It was a combination of location, and technology that brought home the goods from this site. Yet there are other sites, that are so have been thoroughly hammered by above average detectorists using the likes of the Etrac, CTX, CZ, F75, etc., that you will work hard to dig a single old coin.

Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 21, 2017 11:55AM
There is real value is having a couple three detectors that compliment each other. For decades I had been pretty much a one detector at a time guy. My little area of interest was hunting the yards of old homes. I always had THE detector I thought did that job the best. One stubborn yard opened my eyes that my ONE detector was great most of the time but did have troubles under some situations. I used another detector and was enlightened when I found many coins that had been hidden. A third detector found some coins left over and a fourth detector some coins and relics left by all of the previous.

I don’t usually get to hunt one particular yard so many times, but I did learn my lesson that detectors have different abilities and that having a couple three detectors allows me to come at a site from different directions if needed.

Rich (Utah)

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Rich, I agree, and then some.
Posted by: Monte
Date: October 22, 2017 01:28AM
Rich (Utah)
There is real value is having a couple three detectors that compliment each other.
There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. You did learn early on that there could be one very good 'specific purpose' detector for one or two types of comparable sites, but it really takes more than one detector to make a more versatile detecting arsenal.

As for a "couple three detectors" I think it could be simplified by saying 'some' or 'a few' because the number of different makes and models it might take to satisfy someone's outfit to be very versatile could be two, or it might be half-a-dozen to a wider range. That's what I've done since late 1971, and by '75/'76 I have generally maintained a detector battery of 3 to 6 complementary models and hand-picked search coils. Since mid-'83 to the present, very seldom have I owned less that 6 units and more commonly have 6 to 10 models and a good working set of search coils for them.

I do know many average Hobbyists who really don't get out metal detecting all that often, with some maybe only one or two times a month and only during very favorable weather. I guess for them one decent detector might do because they seldom venture into really stubborn sites with a lot of iron and other junk. But for the Avid Detectorist who puts in ample time and effort, frequently, 2 or 3 or more detectors ought to provide them with improved success in the long run.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: October 22, 2017 10:33AM
Southwind

Just curious Southwind was that the E trac? I love mine.

Confessions . . . . .
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 22, 2017 02:13PM
Monte
There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. You did learn early on that there could be one very good 'specific purpose' detector for one or two types of comparable sites, but it really takes more than one detector to make a more versatile detecting arsenal.

As for a "couple three detectors" I think it could be simplified by saying 'some' or 'a few' because the number of different makes and models it might take to satisfy someone's outfit to be very versatile could be two, or it might be half-a-dozen to a wider range.

Ok Monte, I confess. :pinnochio I currently have 'several'. Seven if I have to be exact. However, I am under pressure to thin the collection to those I use. I have a Golden µMax, a Sov GT, and Golden Sabre that aren't likely to be used anytime soon. My wife and I just moved and our new space is much smaller with less storage for extra stuff. I really need to trim down to a couple four. :biggrin:

BTW Monte, Looking forward to 2018 WTHO's.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Rich, best of luck thinning the two Tesoro's and Minelab.
Posted by: Monte
Date: October 22, 2017 04:04PM
An avid Tesoro enthusiast who likes some of the oldies ought to see the beautiful condition of that original Golden Sabre. Not only a very functional devise, it is one of the cleanest, almost 'as-new' looking specimens I have seen in a long, long time.

As for 2018's WTHO's, I hope to have a Forum post about them soon, but an e-mail will go out to all those on the WTHO Contact List as there will probably be three scheduled for somewhere between mid-April and mid-June. Then, if we can come up with another site where it isn't too blasted hot, we can work in a 4th WTHO next year.

Looking forward to the Outings and seeing all the good folks who attend. :cheers: (By the way, those are Diet Dr. Pepper Floats.)

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: staffydog33
Date: November 09, 2017 09:35AM
100% changed my mind.

I'm keeping the Racer 2 and sticking with Major!

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: November 09, 2017 10:49PM
Very glad to hear :-)
It's a great machine!!!

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login