Findmall.com

Makro Detectors Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Concentric coil
Posted by: Scottowl
Date: October 17, 2017 01:23AM
The 7" concentric coil I ordered showed up last Friday, and some exceptionally nice weather for this area(or anywhere, really) allowed me to get some time in with it.

Understand this is shallow clad(nothing over 4"), but within the first half-hour I did not need my pin pointer or trowel. I used a coin probe and an index finger to make all recoveries. The pin pointing ability of this coil is very enjoyable.

I can expect the VDI numbers to be more closely grouped to the target(no more than a 3 numeral fluctuation with the concentric, opposed to a 5 or more swing with the DD coils).

I won't abandon the 2 DD coils I have, especially the 5" round one. I will be finding the time for the concentric, however!

I have previously noted the R2 with the appropriate coil can out-gun either of my MXT or IDX detectors. I also have a XL Pro, that I thought was safe from the Racer. However, after further review, I can see where the R2 and stock elliptical coil can emulate that performance as well. Are there any larger coils out there that can do a good job hunting ball fields, with the goal of increased ground coverage?

Another bit of versatility my other detectors cannot match was driven home in a situation I put myself in the other night.

It was late in the evening, with less than an hour until dark, and I arrived at a field I had been meaning to check out for a while. I was so rushed to get in maximum detecting time that I made the 1/2 mile hike without my headphones! Rather than go back after them, I decided to do without, and let her blare!

I was in 2 tone, which can be chattery, and there were curious kids around. Since I didn't want a siren calling them over, I decided to turn the sound off and use the vibrate feature. I ended up really liking that, especially after turning on the backlight as daylight was expiring. I had 2 senses calling attention to targets while freeing up my ears to listen for anybody wanting to join me.

I'm sure you guys know about this already, but I was pleased to find out about it. I realize it is not ideal when you are in the trash or looking for deep targets, but sometimes mindless 'cladding' lets me blow off some steam.

This little R2 unit has really been changing my detecting habits. I find myself looking for the most advantageous sweep speed and techniques, as well as wanting to work on faster, more efficient and NEATER recoveries.

So far so good with the Racer 2.

Racer 2
XL Pro
Classic IDX
UMATILLA COUNTY, OREGON

Re: Concentric coil
Posted by: oleterryg
Date: October 17, 2017 08:36PM
I too enjoy the 7" concentric on my Red Racer. Favorite coil.

Posted by: dfmike
Date: October 18, 2017 07:32PM
Just wondering: Does the vibration negatively impact battery life ? I've never tried the vibration mode on my CoRe but I could use it in places that have very little trash. I have been using my Makro pin pointer in vibration mode exclusively since day one and love it.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

The newer 7"Concentric coil is my #1 favorite for most
Posted by: Monte
Date: October 19, 2017 09:03AM
general-purpose hunting, and that applies to either a Makro Racer 2 or the Nokta Impact. The round 5" DD is my #2 search coil favorite for the very densely littered sites or those with a more confined search area due to rocks, dense brush or building rubble. If I prefer a DD coil that is a little larger, then my 3rd search coil pick is the open-frame 5X9½ and then, if I really feel the need, I opt for a standard coil. In then end, however, if I were restricted to only one search coil for all my hunting needs with a Racer 2, it would be the 7" Concentric coil.

Best of success to you as we get out to enjoy some pleasant fall weather. Let's hope for a milder winter than last year as it was torturous and record-setting here in Vale. Matter-of-fact dawn is just now starting so I think I'll head off to enjoy a nice day. It's a crisp 30° now but is supposed to work up to about 72° today and be mostly sunny. Now all I have to do is find a potentially productive site to hunt. :detecting:

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Impact (2), FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: November 16, 2017 07:07PM
I have 4 coils for my racer 2,,and although I can agree that each coil serves a purpose I use the stock coil 95 percent of the time.The makro oor,snake and the makro 5x10 enclosed,,none give me as hard or more solid audio and visual ID as the stock coil..I guess I’m just the opposite of everyone,I think the stock coil is the best..I hunt Parks,yards,Woods,curb strips,just about everywhere.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: November 17, 2017 05:21AM
Scottowl - You've found out the same thing I did after I first got a Racer. It replaced a few of my favorite detectors like the MXT Pro and a Mr. Bill modified IDX Pro. I loved those two but didn't have a need for them anymore. I hated to part with the IDX but it just sat on a hook in the garage all sad and everything, so I sent it to a new home where it would be loved by someone that had not used a Racer before. I have since moved to the Racer 2 and the Impact. My most used Racer 2 coil is the 5.5 X 9.5 CORS Fortune (same as the NEL Scout). Next it would have to be the CORS Shrew (same as NEL Snake). I prefer it over the OOR and 5" round DD coils I have, for it's extra coverage and being able to get it into tight spots.
I recently received the 7" concentric coil for my Impact and it will probably become my most used Impact coil though I do have the three other Nokta Impact coils.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: November 17, 2017 08:07AM
That's what is great about having the Racer or Racer 2 is that between the manufacture and aftermarket, there is a pretty extensive choice of coils.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Scott, how is that 7" Concentric coil working out for you?
Posted by: Monte
Date: November 17, 2017 06:17PM
It's been 5 weeks since the theft from my Tahoe and mothering has surfaced, so I started rebuilding my detector battery. I already got my 2nd Nokta Impact and now have every coil made for it, making up all the coils U had at the time of the theft. Yesterday I got a 2nd FORS CoRe back in my Regular-Use Detector Team, and I have a 2nd FORS Relic on the way to me now as well. I have also been slowly replacing the two detector bags I used for accessories coils, rods, headphones, pinpointers and such, and about the only available search coil I still need to get is the 7" Concentric for the Racer 2.

I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 7" Concentric on my Impact and to get a 7" Con. for the Racer 2 to be well outfitted again. Of all the search coils stolen, it is the 7" Concentrics, and 5" for the Impact, that I missed the most. Sure hope to do that before the deeper cold and snows come our way. I just checked your town and NOAA thinks you'll have a good weekend, in the low-to-mid 50°'s, so I hope you can find some sites to hunt.

You've had the 7" Concentric for about a month and I'm curious what you think about it now?

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Impact (2), FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Concentric coil
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: November 17, 2017 07:04PM
Good Report Scottowl, :thumbup:

Rich

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login