Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Will this NEW equinox kill the X-terra series, or even the CTX series?
Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: September 26, 2017 08:51AM
hummm...wonder if the price tag on the equinox was like $1700 ..would we think it would be up there with the E & the ctx?

Posted by: enderman
Date: September 26, 2017 09:52AM
Xterra is already in it's second generation, so far it looks like the Nox is an Xterra on a software level.

Minelab could easily add FBS, in fact I think it is FBS when the multi Freq is selected. (Or BBS or perhaps a new name, same idea except BBS has a lower highest Freq)

CTX will probably stay, as it has the 2D screen, in theory it could be a better silver machine, it depends on how much they cripple the Nox to prop up the CTX.

IMO BBS would work just as well as FBS on land. Multi frequency on the Nox will be similar, it's the lower Freqs that do all the heavy lifting with regards to silver hunting.

Honestly they could do with culling the lineup. 3 Xterras and 3 GoFinds is ridiculous, put your best foot forward.

This machine should replace the Etrac as well.
If this machine isn't as deep as the Etrac while using Multi Freq, Minelab will be skating on very thin ice, dare I say it would be a flop with the serious guys.

Nobody will buy a Nox over a Deus if the multifreq does not work as well as the traditional FBS/BBS machines, assuming money was not an option, why would you?

If they muck up the Multi Freq and miss the Deus market, I think it would still do OK in the sub $1000 category. Just it would be a shame because they have the ability to have a monster that would cover the $500 - $1500 detector range with one machine.

In fact, combining a Etrac with Xterra into another lightweight machine in 2017 would be very trivial. If this is not the case, someone should be fired, especially given all the "new tech" "obsolete other machines" talk.
Those of us who are reasonable are not screaming about the "new tech", we can read between the lines, that being said there is a certain expectation of performance here.

My understanding is that Minelab is run by a different company now, the last couple of machines came out while they were at the wheel. If they screw this one up too, it will sink the company.

-GoFinds are a joke, though a great concept, they just happen to be hard to use. Nice screen, nice buttons though.
-New Minelab looks at the classic Excalibur that was $1500 and good to 80 foot deep and comes out with a machine for $3000 grand that leaks at 2 foot. Nice screen and buttons though. I am not a CTX basher, though the price-to-leak ratio is not lost on me. Again great concept though.
-New Minelab cancels the Explorer XS and leaves you with either a Etrac that you can't read the screen, or the Safari that always leaves you wondering if the grass is greener. (It's not, Safari slams silver as good as the Etrac)

If this machine flops, the "old" Minelab as we know it will be gone, unless they keep afloat selling CTX and Excaliburs which were designed in the 1990s. Tesoro survives on old tech, but they are Mom n Pop compared to Minelab which is part of a bigger company. They will simply end Minelab or sell it if it becomes too much of a distraction to their bigger picture. They are not a consumer based business, they sell tech to other large business and organizations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 09:53AM by enderman.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: September 26, 2017 12:25PM
Interesting analysis. It is ironic that the ‘Nox’s likely first customers are the ML faithful - yet it is these experiences and committed users who - in many cases - feel their favorite and expensive machines somehow “threatened” by the Nox. Understandable enough.

With both technology and competition marching on, prices are falling and performance and usability are rising. The days of detectors selling for $1500 plus are probably gone unless some breakthrough combination of performance and target value happens. This is exactly what happened with ML’s GPZ 7000.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Bryan V
Date: September 26, 2017 01:22PM
Minelab is not going to be on "thin ice".. The Equinox is not going to be "a flop".
I think the Equinox was brought out to complete with Deus, Impact and AT Max...
It will perform.

Minelab has stated the Equinox is "above the X-Terra series" and that the FBS and BBS will still have an advantage finding silver coins.
I think Minelab will probably come out with a high end Flagship in the next year or so that will be a lot like the Equinox but with
all the fancy pants bells and whistles of the CTX for the high end coin hunter.

Bryan

Minelab E-Trac
Gold Monster
Amigo II 5.75
Cibola GB Mod
Golden uMax/Sweeper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 01:39PM by Bryan V.

Posted by: underwatermetalman
Date: September 27, 2017 09:29PM
My two cents here is this, the Equinox series is designed to impact two competitors the Deus and the AT Pro/At Max. The light weight design, frequency adjustability fast recovery speed and has the ability to water hunt is going to have a huge impact on detectorist's around the world. I would like to see how it is in depth and how it reacts to salt water beaches before I decide which way I am going to go. The recovery speed for trashy areas has me tempted though....

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: September 28, 2017 07:14AM
underwatermetalman
My two cents here is this, the Equinox series is designed to impact two competitors the Deus and the AT Pro/At Max. The light weight design, frequency adjustability fast recovery speed and has the ability to water hunt is going to have a huge impact on detectorist's around the world. I would like to see how it is in depth and how it reacts to salt water beaches before I decide which way I am going to go. The recovery speed for trashy areas has me tempted though....[/quote

Its Minelab multi freq. It will work in salt water no doubt . Its not like the single freq machines of the competitors . The AT Max and Pro are best suited to fresh water hunting and might work in salt but will either need constant adjusting or loose depth.

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 (might sell) , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 (ordered) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login