Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: What isn't/is the Equinox?-A reminder
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: September 20, 2017 07:44PM
To be perfectly honest,ever since I've started using FBS with the Explorer2 and then the FBS2 powered CTX,I'm just very curious about the processing that goes on. I know Minelab may be wary of a rival using any "blabbering" for nefarious purposes,patents or not. I'm just very interested in the operation of both machines and WHY they are SO much better at doing what I need them to do. It's strictly curiosity. I've said before that I don't care HOW they work,I care THAT they work. I'd love to know HOW to expand my knowledge of the hobby,that's all. But,since that information directly from Dr. Candy is probably not coming any time soon,I'll continue to use these great machines with continued great success.
All good thoughts here...here's another. Why did Minelab unveil the Equinox where they did?

Re: How much more new can one do with a frequency?
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 20, 2017 08:32PM
Jason in Enid
I don't think minelab patents the details of algorithms for exactly how their detectors do what they do. I do also think its extremely difficult to reverse engineer this stuff. The secret isnt in the physical design (although some aspects probably are) the secret is in the programming that's surely flashed onto e-prom chips. How the core program interacts with those proms wouldn't be written in BASIC language. So unless someone has access to Minelabs computer engineers (or the NSA decided to find out the secrets of the CTX) I doubt anyone outside the company can tell you or me exactly how this stuff works.

Sure, it would be great to know the details. It probably could help us pick up the strengths and weaknesses better. But once the genie is out of the bottle theres no putting it back. Releasing the exact "hows" would result in it being copied by every manufacturer and maybe done better. Companies like to only compete with themselves; only releasing the next tech when the current tech has reached market saturation.

Hmm. Some good points Jason. Thanks.

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: Architex
Date: September 20, 2017 09:12PM
IMHO because they were getting hammered by the Deus in Europe. Seems fairly obvious that the new model is aimed squarely at the Deus. Plus I think England has more detectorists than other Euro countries (maybe). Plus England speaks the same language as us (sort of - LOL).

One Man's Trash...........is what I usually find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: September 20, 2017 09:31PM
I think the unveil was planned for its target audience. The DEUS has been a huge hit in Europe, where field hunting and heavy iron are problems. Hell, it even looks a lot like a DEUS. When I saw the very first pic of it, I thought it was a photoshop joke.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 21, 2017 05:59AM
As a salt water hunter you are right it may not replace the Xcal or CTX. However, if it gets the depth of an Xcal and is lighter...... then it has that big plus for smaller gold in the dry sand. Unlike the Deus it can go in the water. I see this as a possible replacement for the Xcal as a wading machine not to mention.... again, those single freqs means a huge plus out of the water. Lets face it the Xcal isnt ever going to be a dirt machine. Its not going to replace the CTX..... to many features that makes it a success as a dirt machine, but i can see people choosing to use it over a CTX out there. If its simple, fast, and deep for less than the price of an Xcal.....its a real winner. They havent really advertised it as a beach machine ..... but its seems to really have the pluses weve been asking for in a new Xcal. Ive seen all the hype videos...... show me one on the beach.... in the water ML.

Dew

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Re:BUT.....
Posted by: Normx2
Date: September 21, 2017 07:24AM
One positive thing for sure? Minelab now has a new US service in PA!!!

Re: Re:BUT.....
Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 21, 2017 07:49AM
As a programmer, software is actually pretty easy to reverse engineer. From a chip or other media makes little difference. The output can be read and converted to code with little effort. Hence the reason most gets a patent before releasing a design.

PICkit 2 or 3, or an ICD 2 or 3 - all Microchip manufactured Programmer/Debuggers save as HEX and BINGO!

Just saying.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 07:55AM by Southwind.

Posted by: Permit
Date: September 21, 2017 08:22AM
Ok just a simple question, any idea how much it will weigh? getting old here and i want a light detector that does not tempt me to break into Ft. Knox..............

Posted by: Architex
Date: September 21, 2017 09:15AM
NEWS FLASH: The Deus can go underwater, and can do it without all the fuss of the factory method.

One Man's Trash...........is what I usually find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !.

Posted by: MI-AuAg
Date: September 21, 2017 09:39AM
I think my point/question is being somewhat misconstrued.

With it's very nice feature set, the Equinox, even using only usual VLF technology, would still be a very popular, functional machine, I have no doubts whatsoever.

In regards to the "totally new technology", I have no desire at this point to know, or be divulged, ANY proprietary secrets, or particulars of "HOW" it works. Just what it will provide, that up to now has been undoable?

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS "NEW TECHNOLOGY" IS GOING TO, OR EXPECTED, TO PROVIDE IN BETTER PERFORMANCE/END RESULTS, NOTHING MORE. THE TERM "NEW TECHNOLOGY" USUALLY SUGGESTS, OR INFERS SOMETHING BETTER, IN PERFORMANCE/END RESULTS. WHAT CAN BE EXPECTED THAT IS DEMONSTABLY BETTER SUCH AS WITH COMMON DESIRES OF DETECTORIST'S, DEPTH, SPEED, IRON UNMASKING, ETC..

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, NOTHING SPECIFICALLY HAS BEEN ASSOCIATED PERFORMANCE WISE WITH THE "NEW TECHNOLOGY". WHY KEEP AN EXTRAORDINARY PERFORMANCE BREAKTHROUGH IF ANY, A SECRET??

It's clear that IF there is anything there, Minelab isn't saying so. It makes no sense to me not to flaunt it, if it's there. Those are the things that drive sales!

One minor disagreement sgoss66. Being as the Equinox is listed on a retail website (Kellyco for one) accepting orders, and most likely downpayments, or full payments, I would consider it as being "for sale". Units just aren't being made available for shipment yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 09:41AM by MI-AuAg.

Posted by: tometusns
Date: September 21, 2017 10:07AM
Permit
Ok just a simple question, any idea how much it will weigh? getting old here and i want a light detector that does not tempt me to break into Ft. Knox..............[/queote]

I've seen two different weights posted 2.3lbs and 2.5lbs. Either way it's light enough for us getting older treasure hunters.

Posted by: Beyonder
Date: September 21, 2017 11:15AM
This detector makes you wanna shout!!!!

Re: Re:BUT.....
Posted by: ML
Date: September 21, 2017 01:10PM
Normx2
One positive thing for sure? Minelab now has a new US service in PA!!!

Do you know where in PA?

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: September 21, 2017 04:10PM
I have been waiting for an all terrain detector with the features I need, so far this comes closest. Waterproof to 3 meters, selectable single freq cuz I hunt fresh water only and multi freq when needed. The ergonomics alone look to knock the MXS and AT's to also ran status for fresh water hunting.

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

What is the Equinox?
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: September 21, 2017 05:15PM
The Equinox appears to be a direct response to the XP Deus, which DOMINATES in Europe, hence the introduction in England. (a shot over the bow) It also challenges the impressive Nokta Impact that was introduced earlier this year.

For me, it could fill a number of boxes on my Want/Need list as an all purpose detector:

Rain Proof / Shallow Water capable
Fast Response for target separation
Multi-Frequency
Wireless headphone system
Reasonably priced.

One concern I have with the Deus is the on board rechargeable batteries. Obviously not replaceable in the field. The Equinox shares this design. Is the industry moving this way and will I have to adapt? Maybe so. With my acquisition of a Racer 2 early this year and use of the wireless headphones, I've unexpectedly become a fan (of wireless headphones) and have started working into the 'recharge the headphones' mindset.

Lastly, how will the discrimination perform? Will I get false signals over those deep rusty nails and bottle caps? We'll know more as those that have been field testing start posting their personal findings.

Rich (Utah)

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login