Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Too many new toys coming out. A man can go broke buying all these new detectors.N/T
Posted by: bulletman
Date: September 24, 2017 06:55AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: If any of the testers of the equinox read this forum, why don't you conduct a conclusive test of the machine?
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: September 24, 2017 07:03AM
Do you people not realize what the testers are for? They aren't there to tell us jack or @#$%& about how the detector works! They are there to tell minelab what works and what doesnt so the final product goes out in the best possible form. Everyone @#$%& about the testers not giving us this, or not giving us that, need to learn how companies work.

Re: Tyber
Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: September 24, 2017 08:00AM
TyberOz:

Lighten up dude! You seem to be the one with issues here. The man just asked for some honest video footage. If you think Brandon isn't acting on what Minelab wants, well, your nuts. Do you think he paid his way to Detectival? Do you think he was out back Minelabs tent by accident. Has he had the detector for nine months? Do you really think he will lay down the CTX and use the Equinox as his go to first choice machine? Do you think he did not know the trick with the piece of iron? All this has done for me is raise a red flag and made me back up a bit. I'm sure he had Minelabs blessing on all this footage rather than risk shooting himself in the foot so to speak with Minelab. If everyone wishes to run right out and buy this machine blindly, it's fine with me. After all, it's their hard earned money, but for me, more videos and testing will be needed. After all, I have a CTX which will do all this machine does so no hurry needed. On another note sprchng hit the nail on the head!!! Before you go ballistic this is only my opinion and you are certainly in tittled to yours. Happy Hunting with your new machine should you decide to purchase one.

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Re: If any of the testers of the equinox read this forum, why don't you conduct a conclusive test of the machine?
Posted by: MI-AuAg
Date: September 24, 2017 10:05AM
Good post, and reasonable position "Carolina"!

Jason, to your point about testers, "they aren't there to tell us jack", is I believe, somewhat idealistic.

The now famous, or infamous "parachute" promo declared a couple things by Minelab. One being, that Minelab declared Gary Drayton, Brandon Niece, Derek & Sharon Mclenna, and Neil Jones to be "our experts". The term "our" usually means belonging to. So, as both testers, and representatives of Minelab in it's rollout of the Equinox, any information gleaned during testing (both positive and negative) would be considered proprietary information belonging to Minelab to disclose, or not, as they see fit. That assuming normal disclosure agreements were signed.

As such, any release of information, or public disclosure regarding the Equinox by those individuals, would presumably be at the direction of, or with full knowledge of Minelab officials. Being as Brandon Niece did endeed "tell us jack" e.g., publicly releasing a video, and declaring the Equinox to be his #1 detector over the CTX, or something to that effect. That kind of refutes the "they aren't there to tell us jack" assumption. "Testers" are there to do whatever they agree to do, or not to do, as an orchestrated promotional campaign to release and sell a product.

The other decarations by Minelab in the "parachute" promo, the "NEWS FLASH" that it "OBSOLETES ALL SINGLE FREQ. VLF DETECTORS" and "NEW TECHNOLOGY IS ABOUT TO LAND" simply created much anticipation and conjecture, with lots of questions and woefully few answers, as of yet! Any questions, or requests for details involving those two bold claims (especially the new tech) should be expected. Minelab hung it out there!

I believe a wait and see approach as to new abilities if any, and questions where appropriate, is good way to go.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 24, 2017 10:50AM
I understand the role of the tester. I think what has been posed is a fair question in light of what Minelab has chosen to announce.

As was mentioned, was this information release about the new Equinox timed to take some of the wind out of the sails on a couple other new releases by the competition? Seems very possible. Not a thing wrong with smart marketing but don't throw a hissing when it prompts potential buyers, that may have changed their minds and decided to wait rather than buy say the new AT MAX, start wanting to know a little more to justify why they should possibly wait.

If you know me you know I take issue with tester's to begin with. Same tester's, same results, same old same old."This detector [enter name of new detector here] is blah blah blah." I plan to buy a Equinox just based on what I've seen, but I still would love more info if the manufacturer can been convinced it is for the better. We all know what will be released to the public is ONLY the good stuff.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 10:56AM by Southwind.

:cheekkiss:N/T
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: September 24, 2017 11:50AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 24, 2017 12:03PM
And Carolina is just playing "the devil's advocate " too. :/

Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: September 24, 2017 12:04PM
I couldn't have put it better myself , Carolina. Thank you. As far as depth tests are concerned, the only thing I have to add is this: YouTube contains countless videos of depth testing various detector brands-- the vast majority being straightforward air tests or "target buried" tests. Everyone knows air tests are not necessarily an indication of what the detector is capable of in real life, while a buried target test is somewhat more so. But placing a coin down in the bottom of a freshly dug hole without filling it, well.......... all that tells me is the machine will hit a dollar sized coin 13" on an air test.

So, we wait.

Posted by: louie41
Date: September 24, 2017 12:08PM
Great, now I have to wait for fishers new announcement as well. Waiting on whites new release also. Almost pulled trigger in a MXSport now on holding pattern again

Posted by: Tyber0z
Date: September 24, 2017 12:56PM
I'm light. The reason I'm challenging Greg is because he made a comment about "deception" in another thread, and now he made a post talking about "sleight-of-hand". It's weird to me that someone would come to a forum loaded with all these biases for a brand new machine that we know little about. It's more than just skepticism. Almost as if this person has made a decision to not like the machine and is now actively trying to influence others. He and others like him hide behind the motto "I'm just asking questions", but it's obvious the questions aren't coming from a well-intentioned place. What would be fair and unbiased would be to say:

"I don't think the open hole test is a good measure. I'd like to see a buried target or a known target in a test bed."

Or

"The iron test can be improved upon in a few different ways, for example placing the iron on top of the coins, or using a smaller piece of iron"

Etc etc. instead of these nuanced approaches, however, we have multiple people coming to this forum solely to cast doubt and no suspicion. There's even another guy in another thread suggesting that a video of the Nox being used in the field is not the Nox because it has a different coil (which, even if true, means nothing, because we know the machine will have different coils). And this isn't restricted to just this forum. On Dankowski, Friendly, and other forums there are ill-meaning people that care less about honest discussion and more about disturbing the discussion and slinging accusations. I understand skepticism and concern, but I don't understand people actively coming to these places to make trouble.

I see this type of behavior in the gaming community as well. People see a tease of a product, they immediately react negatively for whatever reason, they demand answers of people and companies, and when the answers don't come immediately, they cry foul and insist that there is an actve effort to lie, cheat, or trick the customers. It's a weird, conspiratorial, reactionary type of behavior that I will just never understand. I mean, this is MINELAB. They make great machines and no one doubts the abilities of products like the CTX and the E-Trac. Making false claims and demands of them isn't going to satisfy you. Just wait, speculate if you like, and see what the results are when they start coming in.

Until that time, can we stop posting comments and threads basically accusing Minelab of trying to rip us off?

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 24, 2017 02:51PM
Well to be honest, the reason I think we see these "doubting thomas's" is because the tests we see are always the same and never really serve to prove anything. This leaves doubt in the minds of would-be buyers like myself. I plan to buy one and am in fact on the waiting pre-order list, I only offer a possible reason behind these "negative" responses other than a conspiracy.

I myself keep asking the manufacturers of new detectors why the same old tired tests. Obviously, the response of the potential buyers, and let's face it it will be the potential buyers asking question, not those who have no plans to buy one, DUH! It's a very simple request and could be performed by current testers and still be effective. Take the damn detector to a well hunted park and show what it can do that the other 20 detectors I've tried couldn't. You either have a winner, which will sell quicker than you can produce them, or a flop which goes to the cheap sale market very quick. Common sense tells me if you really believe you have a winner that will usher in a new era of detecting, then simply prove it. Not by throwing coins in a hole, putting a ruler on a table or, in my opinion, the useless nail board stunt and take that sucker out in the real world and show us what it can do.

So this is why you get so many people sounding cynical. The proof that you have a great detector is so simple to prove, yet we see the same 20 year old tests being done as we're told this is the greatest detector made to date. It seems like such a simple answer to eliminate the doubt in many yet no testers do this simple test that would prove a detector is what I need or not. It's make you wonder like it's being avoided for a reason. Hence the doubt in buyers minds, and also why you see all the "I'm waiting to see how others feel about it". You know what that statement says? Your testers SUK and people don't trust their opinions because they're are avoiding the simple tests that will prove, or disprove, the worth of a new detector.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 03:14PM by Southwind.

Posted by: crazyman
Date: September 24, 2017 03:10PM
These arguments seem to always breakout when a new detector is announced. I can see both sides but nobody can claim anything until they actually have one in their hands. I've been using Minelabs for years so no axe to grind here but they should have spent less time jumping out of air planes like it was an Elvis concert and more time actually testing the different settings in the test garden that was set up for that purpose. That above ground iron test and open hole depth test that other detectors can also mimic doesn't help the narrative that this new detector will make all other single frequency detectors obsolete.

XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab Advantage
Whites XL Pro
Whites 5900 Di Pro SL

Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: September 24, 2017 03:10PM
Did Brandon or anyone find any targets with the Equinox during the hunts Saturday and Sunday? I know he did say it was his new go to machine and was forced to swing the CTX Friday. Just wondering if anyone heard?

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 24, 2017 03:26PM
Have to agree with Jason. The tester is there to give feedback to the company, on prototype versions of a unit, so as to give the company "independent" and "in the field" perspectives regarding both good and bad things with respect to the machine. The purpose is so that the company can make hardware and/or software improvements and adjustments to unit. As I understand it, it's often an "iterative" process, where tester gets the machine, tests it, suggests changes, sends it back to the company, the company makes changes and then sends unit back to tester, tester re-tests and then provides more feedback, etc. etc. until the company feels it has worked out all the kinks and has a machine ready to be released. During that time, it would make little sense for a tester to be making "performance" videos targeted at interested customers/detectorists...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: Bryan V
Date: September 24, 2017 03:27PM
Minelab's not trying to trick or deceive people like has been inferred by by people on this forum.. They don't have to prove anything to anyone either..
Minelab is legit and they make some of the best detectors on the planet!
This Equinox will perform and it will perform very well.. No doubt in my mind.
While everyone is sitting home winning about trickery and testers those of us who know and trust Minelab will be out enjoying the new Equinox...

Another thing... I won't be surprised if it does perform as good or even better then the CTX or E-Trac.
Just because it's sold below the price of either doesn't make it less inferior...
Maybe they just want those two models to fade away because of high manufacturing or warranty costs.
FBS might not be the only technology that can ID targets at depth.
Only A few of the many detectors I have ever owned can hit a dime at 10" in my mineralized ground.
The CTX, E-Trac, 705 with 15" 3kHz coil and now to my surprise the Gold Monster that you would think could never do that.
Minelab knows how to punch through bad ground, period..

Worse case scenario the Equinox makes the perfect companion to our FBS detectors for when we find ourselves in a sea of heavy trash or iron...

Bryan

Minelab E-Trac
Gold Monster
Amigo II 5.75
Cibola GB Mod
Golden uMax/Sweeper

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login