Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Where to go
Posted by: laplander
Date: September 26, 2017 01:20PM
If you had a new Equinox in your hands right now where would you go detecting :detecting:
and what mode{s} would you use
Based on what we know {From the Minelab release only}

Re: Where to go
Posted by: laplander
Date: September 26, 2017 01:23PM
I'll go first
I have a fair site in the UK Where loads of tiny hammered silvers and Celtic golds have been found.
High frequency prospecting of course.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: September 26, 2017 01:45PM
The the places that in the past gave up huge amounts of coins to my E-Trac and CTX. These places are also typically full of trash. I'd want to see if it can pull more than the others couldn't. I'd be trying every mode. The low singles for silvers, the high singles for gold and the multi just to see how it compares on targets. I'd also want to take it to some new ground, like a nice old curbstrip where I could hunt and mark targets with both the EQ and CTX and see if one can find targets the other cant.

Posted by: greenmeanie
Date: September 26, 2017 03:59PM
The 800 right into the ocean.

CTX 3030
TreasureTurf.com

Posted by: GKMan
Date: September 26, 2017 05:11PM
My 1793 field.. It has given up so much that now I can barely get anything out of it. The farmer doesn't seem to have plans to plow it any time soon, so I need to try hitting it with something else

Gary
Dutchess County New York
I love The Game of Tones....
https://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer
Present: CTX 3030, Detectorpro Uniprobe
Past: Minelab E-Trac, Explorer II, Sovereign
Oldest US Coin: 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
Story here http://goo.gl/1GR9cR

Oldest Silver: 1776 1/2 Reale
Story here http://goo.gl/KaY13f
Oldest US Silver 1851 Half Dime

Oldest Coin: 169? King William 1/2 penny
Story here http://goo.gl/xKjtrQ

Oldest Find: 3500 to 5000 year old Copper Adz
Story here http://goo.gl/Xr6qIM

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: September 26, 2017 06:30PM
Jason in Enid
The the places that in the past gave up huge amounts of coins to my E-Trac and CTX. These places are also typically full of trash. I'd want to see if it can pull more than the others couldn't. I'd be trying every mode. The low singles for silvers, the high singles for gold and the multi just to see how it compares on targets. I'd also want to take it to some new ground, like a nice old curbstrip where I could hunt and mark targets with both the EQ and CTX and see if one can find targets the other cant.

Good answer. I too always like to take a new mouse-trap to parks that used to give up silver back in the 1980s, yet are stingy now. Always dreaming of how ... when the transition from TR disc. to VLF/GEB disc. occurred (1978 to 1980-ish), the first guys to wise up to the benefits harvested a lot of silver.

But to answer the OP's question: It depends on what its capable of. Is it a good park turf machine like Jason hopes for ? Is it a good iron-see-through machine for ghost-townsy sites ? Is it a good wet-salt beach machine ? etc........ So far , on the few cryptic videos put out, I haven't seen anything that current machines can't replicate. But who knows ? Has to be tested in the Monte-nail board test, for example. And if it passes, increase the nail sizes, too see how far it can be pushed while still getting hint of conductive, etc...

As for parks, I'd take it to a few parks I know of that can still produce an occasional silver or wheatie to my Explorer. I'd flag a suspected deep silver or wheatie type signal. Then try the new machine. Does it pick it up with "room to spare" ? Is it differentiated from all the signals I'd choose to reject around it ? Etc....

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: September 26, 2017 09:52PM
laplander
I'll go first
I have a fair site in the UK Where loads of tiny hammered silvers and Celtic golds have been found.
High frequency prospecting of course.
Hmmmm! I wonder where that could be? What's up, Doc! Ole' Bug's LOVES his carrots!!!:rofl:

Iowa Dale
PS: Can't wait to try the OX!

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: September 26, 2017 09:58PM
Oooh, I have lot's of "heavy iron" OLD spots I want to hit!!

Iowa Dale

To one of my worn out, beat all to heck sites that EVERYONE knows about.
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: September 26, 2017 10:50PM
I have one in Grainger County, Tennessee that I first searched with a Fisher 1220-X about...........1986 maybe?

Since then I (and several others) have hit it with different makes and machines running different frequencies (Fishers, Shadow X-5, Whites, Explorer, Sovereign, F-75).

Each revealed interesting observations. For example, while using the Fisher X-series detectors, we dug a lot of lead and buttons, and larger brass, but when the Shadow X-5 (higher frequency machine) hit it years later, it turned up numerous small percussion caps. Followed that up years later with a newer technology machine and found six eagle cuff buttons that several different machines and hunters had missed.

So, my suggestion would be take it to a place you and others have beaten to death with a variety of machines, and see what happens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login