Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Trashy Park
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: October 04, 2017 01:21PM
charlie, I don't doubt you've scored those. Your reputation as a forum contributor and hunter is impeccable. The offer was not to "find better stuff" (than you could in your own back-pocket sites). The offer was one of technology.

And I'm guessing all those rings are beach finds, right ? And ... if they are turf finds, no venture as to ratios of aluminum to gold ?

I understand if you decline the offer. We've all got jobs, lives, etc... I can't even get anyone LOCAL to meet up and prove it. I've had several within driving distance (including 2 dealers), where .... all that is heard is the sound of cricket when the challenge is made.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 04, 2017 01:24PM
sgoss66
Charles --

AWESOME! That's a whole pile of "finds of a lifetime!" BEAUTIFUL condition on that Bust coin in the bottom pic!

Steve

A fraction of my digs, I dug 40 of those Spanish 8 Reales...wait for it...from a single hole on the beach. Killer day I'll always remember. I gave a bunch of 8 reales to family and friends, sold a bunch, kept just a couple that 1751 World 8 reale with the world between the pillars of Hercules because THAT'S cool! Also the 1776 because its the year the Rev war started. That photo with the coins embedded in shells and sand, there were two 8 reales stuck in that.

I sell most of what I find. This is some of what's left. Back in the NY days I sold off most of the Barber silver and Merc dimes. Kind of wish I kept one, a 1895-o Barber dime, worn but a key date. I sold off hundreds of Indian cents in batches. Ahahaha people were copying my ebay adds, "For sale Indian Cents, green slugs dug out of the ground with my metal detector". I tried to talk them down in value which made people want to bid on them even more it was hilarious.

I still have maybe 200 Indians. Somewhere in my best Indian cent container is an 1864L with an overstrike date, pretty cool maybe I'll dig it out and take a pic. I sent most of my gold over the years to the refiner in TX. I have just a few pieces left on hand that I dug shortly before I moved back to the west coast. There is ungodly amounts of silver jewelry on east coast beaches typically when I send to the refiner its up to a pound of gold and 5 pounds of silver. Much of the silver jewelry and old silver coins on salt water beaches is so old, tarnished, and corroded its not worth trying to save.

Steve I dug that Bust dime in my first year with the Explorer, maybe 2-3 months after buying it. Up to that point I wasn't 'that' hooked on detecting, was still playing golf back then. That bust dime hooked me on treasure hunting bad! lol

Here look at this honker diamond ring I dug on Hampton Beach, NH

Date: October 04, 2017 01:24PM
sgoss66
... That's why I don't think it's the "5% zinc" vs. "3% tin, 2% zinc" that makes the difference....

Huh ? My coin book says that the composition of both IH's AND lincolns is 5% "tin and zinc". It doesn't give 5% zinc to one, and the other with zinc AND tin. So I lost ya on this one.

Date: October 04, 2017 01:31PM
sgoss66

:surprised: :drool:

You dig that gold in the DIRT? Not the beach, from PARKS???

:surprised:

Ditto. And what the aluminum ratio ?

I know a fellow here locally who does indeed find gold jewelry from turf. But he's highly selective of the turf. He goes to upscale soccer fields, and knows exactly where the players lay their stuff down (taking their jewelry off "for safekeeping"). And these could be fields that post-date the dreaded round tab (which went extinct in the early 1980s, right ?) . And the fields are strictly athletic (hence not eating/drinking normally, which introduces foil).

But even though his ultimate jewelry ratios might be good (50 to 1 ?), yet he is NOT getting this as a function of "tones" (thinking he can discern the difference between gold and aluminum). Instead, it's A) location location location, and B) a bit of notching (ignoring commonly recurring junk items, like foil wads. Because he figures that the sports is primarily male, and men tend to have the bigger rings (not the dainty ladies sizes that read down into foil).

So, although some guys get their gold from turf, I bet it's more a function of location, and subconscious notching. JMHO

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: October 04, 2017 01:46PM
Tom_in_CA
sgoss66
... That's why I don't think it's the "5% zinc" vs. "3% tin, 2% zinc" that makes the difference....

Huh ? My coin book says that the composition of both IH's AND lincolns is 5% "tin and zinc". It doesn't give 5% zinc to one, and the other with zinc AND tin. So I lost ya on this one.

Sorry Tom! I was not clear. I was agreeing with you. I was saying that since BOTH IH's, AND Lincolns, were of that same 5% tin and zinc, that I don't think THAT is why an Indian sounds different from a Memorial (which is what I thought Chuck was implying). I was agreeing with you...

Steve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Fisher F19
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 01:49PM by sgoss66.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 04, 2017 02:15PM
Tom_in_CA
charlie, I don't doubt you've scored those. Your reputation as a forum contributor and hunter is impeccable. The offer was not to "find better stuff" (than you could in your own back-pocket sites). The offer was one of technology.

And I'm guessing all those rings are beach finds, right ? And ... if they are turf finds, no venture as to ratios of aluminum to gold ?

I understand if you decline the offer. We've all got jobs, lives, etc... I can't even get anyone LOCAL to meet up and prove it. I've had several within driving distance (including 2 dealers), where .... all that is heard is the sound of cricket when the challenge is made.

I'm a director in a large global firm not retired yet. I'm also limited in driving/detecting right now due to recent spine surgery and I had my right hip replaced. Still recovering from that, hence I spend more time hanging around the forum than detecting.

Yes most all of my gold with a few exceptions have been beach finds. I spent the first 8 years or so digging parks and cellar holes looking for high conductive coins. I could care less about nickels or gold in those days I hunted for silver, large cents, and colonials.

Then I switched entirely to hunting saltwater beaches. At first I REALLY sucked at beach hunting, its a different animal. Over time I got better at it to where now beaches fear me!

ok. N/T
Date: October 04, 2017 02:23PM
N/T

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login