Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Some musings about HOW GOOD the Equinox might be...
Posted by: DigImust
Date: October 05, 2017 07:40PM
My take on the NOX preview is that the 'niche' audience you talk about is substantial enough in numbers worldwide to justify Minelab's investment in such a radical departure from what has preceded it. Their name recognition alone will ensure a successful product launch if they don't wait to long.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: October 05, 2017 08:53PM
tometusns
Thanks Steve, I enjoy reading your posts. As you know the weight was my problem with my etrac. It's in younger hands now and the extra coils are gone. I'm #2 on the preorder list at my local minelab dealer. Now I just wait and watch more videos as they become available.

Why thanks, tometusns, I appreciate that!

I am in the same boat as you, just watching for more info, and waiting until they are released and finally start arriving in our hands!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: ky digger
Date: October 06, 2017 09:16AM
I've looked all over and can find nothing to identify exactly how much this EQ is gonna weigh. As a DEUS owner I can believe that a ton of potential buyers will opt out if the EQ isn't very light weight. That was the problem with my previous Explorer and Etrac, and the only reason I went to Deus. By avoiding a direct answer about how much the EQ weighs it makes me think the worst.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: October 06, 2017 09:47AM
Check out Waterdogs 10/1/'17 post (Weight of Equinox) right here on the Equinox forum.
ky digger
I've looked all over and can find nothing to identify exactly how much this EQ is gonna weigh. As a DEUS owner I can believe that a ton of potential buyers will opt out if the EQ isn't very light weight. That was the problem with my previous Explorer and Etrac, and the only reason I went to Deus. By avoiding a direct answer about how much the EQ weighs it makes me think the worst.

Posted by: "Dr.Tones"
Date: October 06, 2017 10:37AM
2.8lbs

"X never, ever, marks the spot"
CTX 3030, pro find 25, Sampson "T" handle, Lesche trowel
Oldest US coin: 1693 William and Mary Half Penny

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: October 08, 2017 09:24AM
I'm not sure how "sitting on technology" is even possible. First why would you develop something superior only to sit around and wait on the competition? Why would you invest time and effort and work and money into something not to get a return on it? Do you think the shareholders would even ALLOW that? Can you imagine the reaction in the boardroom when it's announced we have a killer technology that will destroy the competition, but let's wait and see what they have to offer before we roll it out? Do you think that would fly? I've worked in capitalist businesses for many years and I never worked at a single one where that would happen. No one is in it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Makes no sense at all to me but maybe I am missing something.

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: October 08, 2017 09:30AM
Having said that, I'm very interested in the new machine, but I'm not selling anything or buying anything until it's released and I get some non-hype idea of its capabilities. Even then I'm not selling anything until I have it in my hands and some time with it. I confess to being a bit surprised that some people are dumping machines they are comfortable with that serve them very well for what is currently not even a production product that we know what it will do in the field.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 08, 2017 09:30AM
I see the tactic as logical and working. They seem to have put a whole lot of people who were getting ready to invest in the AT MAX on hold with little more than a small release of information.

I do think they may have jumped the gun if they are not ready to release it until next year. I am already rethinking my decision to hold off on the AT MAX. If the new NOX is not going to be released until next year I'll go forward with the ATM.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 09:33AM by Southwind.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: October 08, 2017 10:06AM
GroundHug
I'm not sure how "sitting on technology" is even possible. First why would you develop something superior only to sit around and wait on the competition? Why would you invest time and effort and work and money into something not to get a return on it? Do you think the shareholders would even ALLOW that? Can you imagine the reaction in the boardroom when it's announced we have a killer technology that will destroy the competition, but let's wait and see what they have to offer before we roll it out? Do you think that would fly? I've worked in capitalist businesses for many years and I never worked at a single one where that would happen. No one is in it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Makes no sense at all to me but maybe I am missing something.

Study the Japanese electronics and music reproduction industry from the 80s on to judge the value of the "planned obsolescence" business model if you want to see it's effectiveness in capturing an entire industry and driving out the competition. Labor costs are not the only reason America's one time dominance in those industries was destroyed , not by the product , but by the business model. I have no doubt Minelab has already conceptualized advanced models incorporating Multi-IQ technology with introductions in the next decade once the "obsolescence of all of other VLF machines" has a chance to take hold. Might just be bells and whistles or speedier processing but new models translates into continuing sales.

Posted by: ky digger
Date: October 08, 2017 10:18AM
I started out with the Sovereign back in the 90's. A great machine that was head and shoulders above the rest. Then I switched to an Explorer. Another great machine that eclipsed the competition. Then I got the E Trac. Once again Minelab delivered a machine with terrific features that set them apart from the rest. At no time over a 20 year period did I ever order a new MInelab that disapointed. I was forced to go to an extremely light weight machine due to a shoulder joint problem, and realized I would have to settle for less than I was used to. Now Minelab has presented me with another new machine that I can swing all day. Why in the world would hesitate to go back? I ordered mine yesterday.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: October 08, 2017 11:32AM
GroundHug
......... but I'm not selling anything or buying anything until it's released and I get some non-hype idea of its capabilities........

You will need to wait about year after its released for sale for that. A lot of these same people who are currently selling detectors in order to purchase the latest and greatest model, also dont hold detectors long enough to REALLY become good with them and learn the tips, tricks and techniques to get the most out of them. They will be selling the EQ and buying something else soon enough. Because a lot of those people are looking for it to be "the best" (as with everything they buy), their initial reviews are going to be glowing tributes of praise, and they have no other detector which to compare finds in the ground.

Posted by: AustinEd
Date: October 08, 2017 03:08PM
I researched everything I could find very thoroughly. This gave me the confidence to pre-order a Equinox. I do not know if it will go deeper than a CTX, but I think it will be close. What my research says is that it will be superior in iron and trash to anything out there. Depth is one thing, finding goodies in trash is another. Give me great ID capability and trash capability and I will let the depth fall where it may. I just hope to have mine by Christmas.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 08, 2017 04:29PM
Well I don't know where the idea come from that we are just jumping on the newest machine out expecting it to be the next best thing, but I think most are like myself.

This isn't my first rodeo are far as looking to buy a new detector. I do very throughout research before I even put one in the look a little closer box. I don't base any of my decisions to look closer on tester's reviews. I put more weight in reading the response users post after they have read the reviews. I watch every video I can find and I base my opinion ONLY on what I see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears. I know what I'm seeing and hearing without the person opinions of those making the videos. No offense, I appreciate the time spent making the videos, but I only go by what I see and hear. That being said, what I see and hear of the NOX so far is enough for me to put it in the closer look box, and I have actually already put it in my buy to try box.

It's passed all my prerequisite tests.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 04:31PM by Southwind.

Date: October 08, 2017 05:36PM
Southwind
Well I don't know where the idea come from that we are just jumping on the newest machine out expecting it to be the next best thing, but I think most are like myself.

Why do you assume I was talking about you?

If you watch a lot of the forums, there are LOT of people (and they are often the most vocal) who jump from machine to machine. They always have to have the latest "whatever". They are also typically the same people giving EVERY detector glowing reports and it is obviously the best thing ever invented, yet months later they will have sold it and bought something else.

This is why I said to wait a year for the "real" results. In a year, the dedicated user will still be swinging it and they will have hundreds if not thousands of hours on it. They will be talking about its good point AND its bad points. You will also have a chance to see the finds being made. There have been a lot of new detectors released over the last 10 years, yet the E-Trac and CTX (and a few others) are the ones still showing consistant good results. Many others that were hyped as the greatest new detector have become mostly forgotten by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 05:43PM by Jason in Enid.

Date: October 08, 2017 05:48PM
AustinEd
I researched everything I could find very thoroughly. This gave me the confidence to pre-order a Equinox. I do not know if it will go deeper than a CTX, but I think it will be close. What my research says is that it will be superior in iron and trash to anything out there. Depth is one thing, finding goodies in trash is another. Give me great ID capability and trash capability and I will let the depth fall where it may. I just hope to have mine by Christmas.

Yep, there are times when max depth is needed but most of the time you will need to find the (silver) needle in the (iron) haystack. the sad fact of life is that 99% of the places we hunt have been hunted before. The easy targets are gone and now we have to work harder to recover the ones still hiding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login