Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Some musings about HOW GOOD the Equinox might be...
Posted by: tbw
Date: October 08, 2017 05:55PM
Well said Jason in Enid.

Posted by: Southwind
Date: October 08, 2017 06:23PM

Why do you assume I was talking about you?

LOL and why do you assume I was talking about you?

My reference was to the many posts by those who seem to think many of us have made the decision to give one a try with no justification other than thinking it's the next best thing. I was just making the point I think a lot are like me and have actually done some very in-depth research.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: October 08, 2017 07:57PM
Southwind

Why do you assume I was talking about you?

LOL and why do you assume I was talking about you?

My reference was to the many posts by those who seem to think many of us have made the decision to give one a try with no justification other than thinking it's the next best thing. I was just making the point I think a lot are like me and have actually done some very in-depth research.

LOL, touche!

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: October 08, 2017 10:26PM
tbw
Well said Jason in Enid.

seconded

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: mtwolf2270
Date: October 09, 2017 08:33AM
GroundHug
Having said that, I'm very interested in the new machine, but I'm not selling anything or buying anything until it's released and I get some non-hype idea of its capabilities. Even then I'm not selling anything until I have it in my hands and some time with it. I confess to being a bit surprised that some people are dumping machines they are comfortable with that serve them very well for what is currently not even a production product that we know what it will do in the field.

Well I must ask this question if everybody sat back and was not willing to try this machine based on minelabs reputation and history then whos reviews would you read to make your decision? Selling a detector to try a new one doesn't appeal to everyone but shouldn't be a suprise. I sold my se pro for the ctx never looked back. As for me 5 years plus the ctx is getting old in todays tech market. While depth is great the new machines have better recover speed and that alone could mean better results. So I for one am willing to bank on how well minelab does what the do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 08:38AM by mtwolf2270.

Date: October 09, 2017 09:51AM
As far as my decision to give the Equinox a try is based on mainly two things. First is Minelab reputation and my personal experience. <-- A big factor. And second, what I have seen personally on videos. People reviews, personally, I don't put much weight behind. Bias opinions influence review outcomes. You know my view of the same testers over and over and over and over. Worthless in my opinion.

First a new detector must draw my attention. By this I mean manufacturer, class, and the few posters I trust that give their honest opinion. At that point I start my own research. Every video I can find. I ignore pretty much everything being said and concentrate only on what I see and hear. When I see a tester/review I feel is being manipulated by the presenter its put that person on my wasted space list.

My need are specific to me. Depth is a very important factor and the ability to ignore nails very low. Not a problem in my soil. Being able to hit the super deep coins in our city park is probably top billing for me with a close second in the ability to hit hard and deep on small odd shaped gold such as earrings and chains. And very accurate Target ID with a high resolution. None of that 30 tatrget ID segment stuff. Give me a minimum of 50 if not at least in the hundreds.

And save Internet space with those dig a hole and throw in a coin crap or the nail board BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 10:08AM by Southwind.

Date: October 09, 2017 11:24AM
Southwind
As far as my decision to give the Equinox a try is based on mainly two things. First is Minelab reputation and my personal experience. <-- A big factor. And second, what I have seen personally on videos. People reviews, personally, I don't put much weight behind. Bias opinions influence review outcomes. You know my view of the same testers over and over and over and over. Worthless in my opinion.

First a new detector must draw my attention. By this I mean manufacturer, class, and the few posters I trust that give their honest opinion. At that point I start my own research. Every video I can find. I ignore pretty much everything being said and concentrate only on what I see and hear. When I see a tester/review I feel is being manipulated by the presenter its put that person on my wasted space list.

My need are specific to me. Depth is a very important factor and the ability to ignore nails very low. Not a problem in my soil. Being able to hit the super deep coins in our city park is probably top billing for me with a close second in the ability to hit hard and deep on small odd shaped gold such as earrings and chains. And very accurate Target ID with a high resolution. None of that 30 tatrget ID segment stuff. Give me a minimum of 50 if not at least in the hundreds.

And save Internet space with those dig a hole and throw in a coin crap or the nail board BS.

VERY good post, Southwind. Agree strongly with a vast majority of it. First, indeed, as you said, is Minelab's reputation and my personal experience that push me to at least put the Equinox into the "I need to check this out more deeply" category. Few machines make it into that category for me, given my comfort and trust in my current machines.

Also agree with you on depth, and highly accurate ID with depth, being HUGELY important.

The only place I differ is that I DO want the ability to work skillfully amongst the nails.

I see it this way -- at most sites that have been heavily hunted, there are two categories that most of the good targets that are left in the ground will fall into -- too DEEP to have been easily located by others, and too HIDDEN (i.e. partially "masked" by iron or "partly hidden under" some other type of trash). Obviously some are SO deep, or SO masked/hidden, that they simply can't be detected. But some are at the fringes -- and these "fringe" targets are the ones where advances in detector technology can help to turn them into much more readily detectable targets. SO -- to me, a machine that offers maximum depth and maximum ID accuracy with depth, AND a machine that is highly skilled in working within trash -- great separation, and great ability to "handle" nearby iron without falsing -- would be an absolute WINNER of a machine, for me.

I DO think there is SOME value in videos where coins are buried, and in a nail-board type test. NOT really in that they accurately mimic the real world necessarily, but they DO help you to see how a machine reacts as compared to other machines. And, MORE importantly, it helps you to hear how the machine SOUNDS, and see a bit of how it behaves, tonally.

Anyway, very good post, Southwind.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Date: October 09, 2017 12:10PM
We all have those places where we know there are goods to be recovered if only the right detector were used. I have many. All I'd like to see is when a new detector comes, out the tester takes it to that special place a few times and puts it to the test. You either come to the boards and if you found nothing you say it is a nice detector but doesn't seem to have anything special. If you come home with some goods you can say this detector is special or hit it out of the park. That's what people want to read. Not the "This detector has the potential to be like the 500 other models out there".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 12:19PM by Southwind.

Date: October 09, 2017 02:53PM
Southwind --

Agreed. That site I described above, is one of those sites. My friend who hunts it (it's a few hours from me) is one of the best, most experienced detectorists I know. The ONLY machine in his arsenal with which he can find targets there, is the CTX -- and usually only with the 17" coil (he has hit a few he could barely get with the stock 11", early on, but usually it requires the extra 1-2" afforded by the 17"). No target there is shallower than 10" deep. He and a buddy who also runs a CTX/17" have hammered it hard, but he still finds like 1-3 coins, on average, when he puts in 3-4 hours of hunting time. This is an absolute PERFECT "test pit" for him to experiment with new detectors on (with some of those deep targets ALSO having "masking/iron proximity" issues as well). There is no doubt whatsoever that there are lots of coins there JUUUUUST out of the reach of the CTX...

I cannot wait to have him put an Equinox on that site (hopefully, he will get one and learn it well, and then try it there; he's thinking about it...)

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login