Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Let's hype the Fight before it is time to get it on!
Posted by: dbado1
Date: October 06, 2017 10:01PM
Well said, Dr. Tones. My detector dealer now does 99% of his business on the net. He still holds clinics, etc. for the local guys. He probably wouldn't be in business today if he hadn't moved to aggressively doing business on the net. A least two local shops have gone under and the third is nothing more than a gathering spot for the old guys to re-live the "glory days". It won't last much longer is my guess. Evolve or become extinct. That's business. And, like it or not, the dealers are in business to make a profit....and the net is where it's at.

Dean

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: October 07, 2017 08:30AM
what this really means is that we as customers are no longer locked in and forced to pay outrageous prices of a local dealer who got to charge whatever markup he wanted because you had no where else to buy from

I was a ML dealer in the 90's
Posted by: bugg
Date: October 07, 2017 08:49AM
I was only allowed to sell in half of the state I lived in. To get the word out was brutally expensive . I sold 6 to 8 detectors a year. I did not last but 3 years. Just was not worth the hassle. I could have used the net back then, but basically non existent. That would have made the difference.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: October 07, 2017 08:57AM
how did we live without all these devices that steal our time and expose our every move :shrug: love my computer but it comes with a price...50 years will expose the flaws in society that smart ph's etc have caused...
nothing is free as the saying goes or is it?

AJ

Posted by: woodchiphustler
Date: October 07, 2017 01:26PM
"Dr.Tones"
Does anyone else see the irony? Complaining about the Internet ON THE INTERNET :shrug: The internet has only killed off local shops that refused to change with the times. The ones that embraced it to reach outside of their usual realms while maintaining their local customers are doing better than ever. Kinda like when the rail came through and put out all the businesses along the stage. I think if it weren't for the internet, this hobby would be reduced to a handful of users supporting one or two manufacturers. Machines would be more or less the same and wouldn't evolve beyond what they've been in the past. The fact of the matter is that more minutes of media were watched (and uploaded) on mobile devices last year than on network television and for the first time in history, in 2016 more advertising money was spent on YouTube than on all major television networks combined. My point is, it's not changing. It's far more effective for manufacturers to reach their (in this case very specific) demographic online than it would be otherwise. It only makes sense for them to seek opportunities to promote their products via online influencers. Not saying I'm on online influencer. There are far bigger fish in that sea than I. I for one would also prefer to watch Taylor Swift ;)

Not complaining. The Internet is here to stay. I have field tested just about ever machine produced and what I mostly see is novices trying to become experts! Continued success!

George Tex Kinsey
The Original Buttondigger since 1969
Still on the "right side of the grass"
A Findmall fan and supporter.

Date: October 07, 2017 01:32PM
Elton
George:
Have you looked at the other side of things. Perhaps the internet has allowed the manufactures to sell more product and remain in business.
I know it has helped the distributors and dealers for certain, and therefore the manufacturers with detector orders...This internet forum ( Finds Treasure Forums ) has enabled the dealers to sell many, many products.........

I understand Elton. I have done allot of purchases and trades with dealers. Unfortunately I'm no longer able to view the classifieds because of my trading. That has me @#$%& off because I feel I have contributed to this forum over many years!

George Tex Kinsey

Date: October 07, 2017 01:35PM
IDXMonster
"Right side of the grass"...:lol: Keep on keepin' on my man!

Not as easy as it used to be!:stretcher:

George Tex Kinsey

Date: October 07, 2017 05:15PM
Hey AJ,
"Steal our time". You mean like television? The only time my T.V. was on was when there was a football game on. Because of recent "goings on" with certain players and teams...my T.V. stays off. I guess it all depends on where you want to spend your time. I agree with you, though, the net is just as bad as the boob tube. I don't do social media of any type so that helps too. If "they" want to look at my every move, bummer for them! They would fall asleep from boredom.

Hey George,
Everybody has to start somewhere. We were all novices at this game at one time. We all see the "experts" making novice mistakes on You Tube as well. As you well know, it isn't easy detecting and shooting video at the same time. Dr. Tones does a great job.

I was nugget shooting a few days ago with a very experienced guy. Argueably an "expert". He gets back to the quad and shows us his "nugget"...it was a small rock. We asked why the rock was so special. To his shock, he realizes that he put this rock in his nugget bottle instead of the target! He hikes all the way back to the hole and finds the target, which, (thankfully) turned out to be a nice nugget. Obviously, he committed a rookie mistake by not re-checking the hole. We all had a good laugh. It happens to all of us.

Dean

Posted by: "Dr.Tones"
Date: October 07, 2017 05:55PM
Yeah, I'm far from an expert and you'll never hear me claim to be. I just like to share what I have learned with others while I continue to learn.

"X never, ever, marks the spot"
CTX 3030, pro find 25, Sampson "T" handle, Lesche trowel
Oldest US coin: 1693 William and Mary Half Penny

Posted by: Dale(Ia)
Date: October 07, 2017 09:07PM
"Dr.Tones"
Yeah, I'm far from an expert and you'll never hear me claim to be. I just like to share what I have learned with others while I continue to learn.
And I for one, appreciate that from you..........Keep your posts up & keep producing your video's!

Iowa Dale

Posted by: tbw
Date: October 07, 2017 09:20PM
I also appreciate all that you have contributed to our hobby. Keep sharing your knowledge and producing your videos. Would love to have you come and speak at our club in Reno, NV.

Date: October 07, 2017 09:47PM
Dale(Ia)
"Dr.Tones"
And I for one, appreciate that from you..........Keep your posts up & keep producing your video's!

Iowa Dale

Ditto!

Dean

Posted by: "Dr.Tones"
Date: October 07, 2017 10:02PM
Hopefully soon? I need to make a phone call and set it up. I've been talking about it for a few months. I think things are settling down enough now that it should be possible. Hope to see you guys soon!

"X never, ever, marks the spot"
CTX 3030, pro find 25, Sampson "T" handle, Lesche trowel
Oldest US coin: 1693 William and Mary Half Penny

Date: October 08, 2017 03:24AM
Looks like "The Fight" has a split decision" Interesting debate! And as you see it did not get ugly like most !

George Tex Kinsey

Posted by: amberjack
Date: October 08, 2017 03:29AM
:bouncy: yes we live in the information age...some of it needs some sorting to find truth but that's half the fun right :pulltab:

AJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login