Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
" Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."
Posted by: Donna(NJ
Date: October 19, 2017 12:51PM
Not really looking to find silver coins on the beach....

Interesting tidbit....

May have to wait awhile before I jump....

HH
Donna(NJ)

Re: " Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."
Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: October 19, 2017 02:08PM
So are we saying the nox won't see the silver Dime or quarter or even pick it up hardly say at 10"...is the nox just a gold machine and clad...?:shrug:

Re: " Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."
Posted by: treasure_hunter
Date: October 19, 2017 02:39PM
I don't see it saying it want hit silver, it is saying it want hit silver as hard as FBS/BBS, not that it want see it.

Posted by: happycamper08
Date: October 19, 2017 04:20PM
After reading that statement from minelab I think I will stick with the etrac for a while longer.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: October 19, 2017 04:29PM
have to remember this was made to take on the Deus in Europe and that will be interesting to see how it does over there...

AJ

" Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions."
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 19, 2017 05:04PM
From what I'm reading, the ONLY reason Minelab is saying that BBS and FBS have an advantage on silver is because of their LOWER starting frequency (3kHz) vs that of the Equinox (5kHz). The lower frequency performs slightly better with higher conductive targets like silver.

Rich (Utah)

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: October 19, 2017 05:38PM
Rich (Utah)
From what I'm reading, the ONLY reason Minelab is saying that BBS and FBS have an advantage on silver is because of their LOWER starting frequency (3kHz) vs that of the Equinox (5kHz). The lower frequency performs slightly better with higher conductive targets like silver.

Rich (Utah)

With the 5 , 10 and 15 khts freqs they should work very well.
If not then why are the Deus so good at 18 khts ? Yes i know there are other freqs .

The Equinox will be as good as you need .

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 (might sell) , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 (ordered) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 19, 2017 06:05PM
Minelab's statement is kind of useless without knowing the BBS and FBS machine settings. For example BBS is WAY more stable than FBS on a wet saltwater beach with both machines adjusted for high performance. I'm not saying the Excalibur can't false but a FBS machine like an Se Pro adjusted for high performance probably falses 50 times to 1 BBS false. So how does Multi-IQ compare, the jury is still out. As for the silver comment okay a silver coin or ring is a big fat juicy silver signal but small silver jewelry, chains, ID between foil and nickel, and would benefit from a higher frequency, so again I think the jury is still out.

Multi-IQ on a saltwater beach, its GOLD I'm interested in silver is just parking meter money. If Multi-IQ is better on small gold BBS and FBS won't get a signal on, or deeper on gold vs BBS/FBS that's a win!

Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 19, 2017 06:26PM
I'm with you Nuke em. In my mind, any slight disadvantage due to the differences in frequencies will be made up with better separation and perhaps any unique abilities of the multi-IQ technology. Plus it is water resistant and much lighter than my E-trac. I don't have water resistant as part of my arsenal right now and light weight is always nicer.

Too, I don't plan on giving up my E-trac or Racer 2. I think an Equinox will complement the E-trac and Racer 2 I currently use most of the time.

RIch (Utah)

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: Cal_Cobra
Date: October 20, 2017 12:01AM
Rich (Utah)

Rich (Utah)

Exactly, and until we have production units in the field to try out, nobody here can quantify exactly what "slightly" means in the real world....

Leave it to you, Charles...
Posted by: wpaxt
Date: October 20, 2017 09:45AM
...to cut through the baloney and offer an insightful opinion. Why Minelab doesn't add you to their field testing group is beyond me.

BTW, I'm still working on your Dark Science notes on the Explorer. Pretty heady stuff for my little brain but it's starting to make sense.

Bill (S. CA)

Re: Leave it to you, Charles...
Date: October 20, 2017 10:08AM
wpaxt
...to cut through the baloney and offer an insightful opinion. Why Minelab doesn't add you to their field testing group is beyond me.

BTW, I'm still working on your Dark Science notes on the Explorer. Pretty heady stuff for my little brain but it's starting to make sense.

Bill (S. CA)

Tip of the iceberg Bill, contradiction #1 the Equinox has better target ID at depth...the only way to achieve that is to better deal with soil mineralization. Even in mild mineralization the deeper the coin, the more soil mineralization swamps the coin signal until its completely swamped and the coin vanishes with the soil rejection. So air test depth vs actual depth achieved in the soil. So if the Equinox is better at cutting through the soil mineralization vs FBS then which machine actually goes deeper on silver in the soil? Bingo!

Other variations, Equinox improved target separation hitting on silver hiding in the shadow of trash and iron vs FBS, Equinox higher frequencies hitting on silver tipped on edge presenting only a partial surface area of the coin to the coil e.g. higher frequencies are better for getting hits on smaller targets which is what a coin tipped partially on edge presents to the coil. Equinox hitting on 3 cent silver, half dimes, gold dollars.

A good case could be made for taking an Equinox into the sites pounded to death with FBS. Its not going to be a gold rush like the site was never hunted lets be realistic, FBS machines are quite good. But if your sites are dead the Equinox may latch on to some additional finds the FBS machines can't touch. I think the more mineralized the soil is, the better chance of that happening. Ditto for the more trash/iron infested the sites are.

I recently purchased another machine, it can operate at 56 kHz. I assembled a collection of targets for testing, silver coins, copper, bronze, several gold coins, and a bunch of gold jewelry of various sizes. For the coins I was testing them on edge, 45 degree angle to straight up on edge to the coil. It was an eye opener to watch this new machine at 56 kHz hit strong on all these targets when my mighty Explorer Se Pro weak to no signal at all. Naturally I have to wonder how many targets I walked over with the Explorer the past 17 years.

RAIN-CHECK..... Re: " Multi-IQ copes..etc
Posted by: metalpopper
Date: October 23, 2017 08:46PM
Rich (Utah)

Rich (Utah)

BBS and FBS .....Their LOWEST FREQUENCY is 1.5 KHz........

So BBS and FBS will perform MUCH BETTER on THICKER SILVER and COPPER coinage. (> 2 mm thick) ...matt

Posted by: metalpopper
Date: October 23, 2017 09:18PM
Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS,.....( mmmm?????)..matt

Charles (Upstate NY)
Minelab's statement is kind of useless without knowing the BBS and FBS machine settings. For example BBS is WAY more stable than FBS on a wet saltwater beach with both machines adjusted for high performance. I'm not saying the Excalibur can't false but a FBS machine like an Se Pro adjusted for high performance probably falses 50 times to 1 BBS false. So how does Multi-IQ compare, the jury is still out. As for the silver comment okay a silver coin or ring is a big fat juicy silver signal but small silver jewelry, chains, ID between foil and nickel, and would benefit from a higher frequency, so again I think the jury is still out.

Multi-IQ on a saltwater beach, its GOLD I'm interested in silver is just parking meter money. If Multi-IQ is better on small gold BBS and FBS won't get a signal on, or deeper on gold vs BBS/FBS that's a win!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your highlighted statements are correct Charles, but I think readers should know why.

How many harmonics does BBS use?...17? (Long time ago since I've handled one.)

Compare that to BBS..28

It's the extra HIGHER harmonic frequencies that contribute to the 'chatter' factor.....but they also offer better sensitivity to thin section stuff..and lower conductivity items..gold chains etc.....matt

Date: October 24, 2017 06:42AM
metalpopper
Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions ALMOST as well as BBS/FBS,.....( mmmm?????)..matt

Charles (Upstate NY)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your highlighted statements are correct Charles, but I think readers should know why.

How many harmonics does BBS use?...17? (Long time ago since I've handled one.)

Compare that to BBS..28

It's the extra HIGHER harmonic frequencies that contribute to the 'chatter' factor.....but they also offer better sensitivity to thin section stuff..and lower conductivity items..gold chains etc.....matt

FBS (Explorer, etc.) seem good on small/thin targets until you test one head to head with an actual high frequency machine. I recently assembled a bunch of small gold targets for testing, gold earrings, chains, and gold bits. My 56 kHz machine smacked every single target, the Explorer Se Pro couldn't detect any of them even if you rubbed the target on the coil. So there is much room for improvement on small gold which his why the Equinox interests me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login