Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: pondering the minelab equinox please chime in multi freq mode
Posted by: lytle78
Date: October 26, 2017 03:59PM
“Tuned for different scenarios” doesn’t necessarily mean using different frequencies - it could mean different software settings for all. Kinds of operations parameters.

Their existing multifreakers use two freqs. The high one 8 times the frequency of the low one. The only two Equinox frequency pair in that relationship is 5 and 40 kHz.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 26, 2017 04:44PM
calabash digger
I was just bringing up a thought I had about a detector that's coming out, that's it and I will be buying one myself to add to my arsenal. I just wanted to discuss the disadvantage of higher freq and get others thought on them.. Heres a question ??? If minelabs run 25 kh and processes it in a way where it cant see gold it makes 25 kh kinda useless doesn't it?? Since 25 kh should be smacking gold , whats the point?? What is high freq for? Ive tested the etrac, ctx on a gold earring in the garden and neither could see it and yes the deus could with the hf coil so what it .. It was in a freq I would never use for relics.. 54kh and 74 kh .
sprchng
It's not a matter of what frequency or for that matter how many but HOW that signal is processed that's important.
You seem to assume that everything is done the way XP does it with the Deus,,,more of your bias showing I'm afraid.
One of the primary frequencies ML runs is 25khz at the same time as 3 khz and processes those signals in a way totally different than the Deus , hence their superiority in the ID department in modern trash.

Minelab may be using the higher FBS machine frequencies for rejecting soil mineralization, auto ground balance, etc. vs trying to hit on small gold targets. Deus will hit all my small gold targets with the HF round coil, my Se Pro won't hit any of them even if you rub them on the coil.

multi freq mode
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 26, 2017 07:06PM
I believe Charles and Rick have it right.

Minelab has been using 2 frequencies for the BBS and FBS detectors; 3.125kHz and 25kHz or a slight variation up or down depending on EMI. The transmitted frequencies are NOT simultaneous, but sequential.

Following this Minelab methodology, the Equinox 800 might have 5,10,15kHz as well as 20kHz and 40kHz. IF Minelab continues using pairs, and IF they are using the lower frequency for the hunting and the higher frequency for the ground cancellation/ground noise, might they be using the 5kHz paired with 20kHz for PARKS, 10kHz paired with 20kHz for FIELDS, 15kHz paired with 20kHz for BEACHES and then 40kHz pairs with 20kHz for GOLD?

And also have the ability to NOT pair the 5,10,15,20 or 40kHz and use any of them as stand alone. It would require also using a NORMAL ground balance methodology like other signal frequency detectors.

Just mulling this over. Thoughts?

Rich

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: October 26, 2017 07:17PM
interesting thoughts thanks for posting that...

Date: October 26, 2017 07:49PM
We’ll see when someone puts the required test instruments on it.

Minelibe is likely to NEVER tell us - after all, they speed that 28 frequency fairy tale for decades.

They have excellent technology - but they persist is letting their Marketing Department tell fairy tales.

Rick Kempf

Date: October 26, 2017 08:22PM
lytle78
We’ll see when someone puts the required test instruments on it.

Minelibe is likely to NEVER tell us - after all, they speed that 28 frequency fairy tale for decades.

They have excellent technology - but they persist is letting their Marketing Department tell fairy tales.

Rick,

I think you read Geotechs recent comments regarding the BBS and FBS methodologies. I've heard reference to these thoughts for years but had never had it spelled out and diagrammed that way.

Knowing this, it would seem to make the equinox even MORE attractive in that you can move up and down the frequency scale to optimize finding items down and up the conductivity scale and still have the Minelab ground handling.

What would be interesting is if Minelab has come up with a way of doing 3 or 4 frequencies sequentially. Similar in fashion to the V3i where you can watch the target response to each of the different frequencies hitting it. Which signal responds BEST. That would be a bit of a power pig though.

Interesting.

Rich -

Date: October 26, 2017 08:43PM
we'll see - but they will never TELL us.

Rick Kempf

multi freq mode
Date: October 26, 2017 09:07PM
lytle78
we'll see - but they will never TELL us.

:shrug: There would have to be just a little confessing there, so I think you're right. I've enjoyed using my Explorer XS and E-trac's over the last 17 or so years, so I won't complain.

I'm trying to determine what changes I should expect to see in my finds pouch, IF I continue to frequent the same types of places I normally hunt.

Rich -

Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: October 26, 2017 09:48PM
I always thought that if minelab and whites got together and made an Etrac / V3i lumped in one you wouldn't need anything else...

Date: October 26, 2017 10:00PM
Ksdirt
I always thought that if minelab and whites got together and made an Etrac / V3i lumped in one you wouldn't need anything else...

Maybe that is what we're going to see. With a little bit of Deus throw in for SIZE.

Rich

Date: October 27, 2017 05:45AM
not a bad combo imo!

Posted by: vanner
Date: October 27, 2017 07:42PM
Reading in there literature it says it has several preset programs , park , field , beach etc. In each of these mode the multi frequency is set up different. I recall seeing one of these multi frequency modes set up at running only the three lower frequencies. Been a while since I've read it. Hope thishelps

Date: October 27, 2017 07:52PM
it does! that would be killer if a relic program spand 5 kh to 20 kh

Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: October 27, 2017 09:48PM
if I'm getting it right... if you listen to Brandon as he shows alittle bit about setting it up...you can go into each program and change the settings to your likeing....don't no what all you can change but I would think friq. would be one of them..

Posted by: metalpopper
Date: November 06, 2017 07:45PM
Hi there Cal.

Using any higher frequency than 25 KHz (as an example), will do just what you have rightly described as 'light-up all the 'good, bad and ugly' stuff.

Higher frequencies are OK for tiny, thin, money metals, etc just as long as there's limited crap surrounding such.

Bad ground will attenuate depth in an exponential manner, which becomes an obvious limitation for the higher frequencies.

So for me, I think that 40 KHz or higher, is a detecting 'Tooth pick', to be used for sussing out near surface, valuable minutia......Matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login