Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: No beach videos on Equinox has me scared ill wait!!!!
Posted by: Des D
Date: November 06, 2017 05:20PM
Minelab's own two recent statements describing 'Multi IQ', state:

"Multi IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS"

"Multi IQ... blah blah blah, creating a very sensitive and stable detector"

These two descriptions of MIQ are good, informative but at the same time throws up a lot of questions.
Such as: 'almost as well as BBS/FBS': is that based on what 'a tester' or 'more than two tester's' said or is it a statement from Philip Wahrlich?
And what are 'they' or 'he' basing that opinion on? Did Philip go to the beach out at Glenelg and go in the water? Is Philip a detectorist or a 'white coat' observer?
BBS is 'Sovereign/Excalibur' technology and FBS is 'Explorer/E Trac' and both are very good in seawater.

So, the most important Q. is: "Why doesn't 'Multi IQ' cope with saltwater and beach conditions as well as 'BBS/FBS?'

In another extract from press releases it deals with 'ground noises' especially from saltwater use being a troublesome factor for most detectors but intimates that 'Multi IQ' is good at 'noise reduction!'

So is it stability in saltwater, depth on the beach or sensitivity to particular metals at the beach is the issue?

Having said all the above, I'm going to stick my neck out and say, " I think the 'Equinox', will be very good at the beach"

Why am I saying that? I prototyped every Minelab detector since 1999 to 2013 on the beach up to four times per week and sometimes more including, 'Explorer', 'Quattro', other 'Explorer' models, 'X-Terra', 'Safari', 'E Trac', 'GP', 'GPX', 'CTX' ( I also tested inland too - mornings and beach afternoons. I was criticised once for testing on 'so many different beaches!' Why do you do that? I drove extensively to different areas to sample the saline content, seaweed amount, temperatures, you name it I looked at it)
They all worked well and they all had their 'quirks', I had to find.

'Equinox', will be the same. It'll work well and we'll have to find its quirks, if it has any and it must have one or two?
I'm guessing it's 'operational nature over wet sand' will be 'X-Terra' like, that is a bit wild if not GB'd properly and over-driving Gain.
It'll 'sound off' if you hit the coil off the sand and it'll be very stable with the coil submerged?

It just might not have the super depth of the FBS system and that begs another Q. we've seen videos showing great depths on test - so does that amazing 'depth' suffer at the beach?
It shouldn't! Sometimes better depths are seen on the beach than seen inland?
So, the plot thickens!"

Posted by: Neil
Date: November 06, 2017 07:53PM
Good post Des. Ive enjoyed your input over the years.

in everything give thanks
Etrac
X5

SunrayGold and Detectorpro Black Widow headphones

Posted by: Des D
Date: November 07, 2017 06:10AM
Thanks Neil. I appreciate that.

They're interesting questions aren't they?
What might appear 'not as good' to a tester or a designer with a limited or huge amount of knowledge might be perfectly acceptable to us as end users?
Time will tell.

Posted by: Nuke em
Date: November 07, 2017 01:07PM
Des D
Thanks Neil. I appreciate that.

They're interesting questions aren't they?
What might appear 'not as good' to a tester or a designer with a limited or huge amount of knowledge might be perfectly acceptable to us as end users?
Time will tell.

I think Des it will be as good at least as the Terra 705 on the dry , but i am not so certain on the wet ?
Being it will have a slightly bigger coil and better electronics and speed than the Terra it should work brilliantly .
Anyway i will be on the beach the same day as i get it . I must make sure its what i want or i wont buy the second one.
Anyway 5 freqs working together might be enough for good stability in the wet and i bet the speed will be slower in the preset beach program , 1 or 2 probably .

Like your vid's on YT i have seen on the AT max and so on . Pity they are erratic a bit on the wet .

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 (might sell) , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 (ordered) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: November 08, 2017 07:48AM
Des...... id say because we are working with limited multi choices. The FBS has never really said what freqs they use. I realize the various channels are just a slight shift in freqs. ML has always made us think there are multi freqs being used..... not this time. So depth and sensitivity has to work in the freqs mentioned.... and maybe they have improved the processor. If they go with 5 and 15, thats pretty close to the 3 and 15khz the DFX uses. Pretty stable at the beach...... but at least 3 " less depth in the dry sand. 3khz did have a little issue with EMI on some beaches too. If the other is 5 and 10khz..... then you would think it will be stable...... but at what cost to sensitivity and depth? Getting close to the average 5-7khz for a detector to have very little issues to run stable.

Des.....i get salt water noise, but to be honest i deal with that and can pick out targets pretty well. The noise that creates the most difficulty for me is black sand concentration. You can tell on a sanded in beach if you are working in fluffy loose sand....... its much quieter than hard pan sand. So i hunt for those spots. I know im working in some older targets there. Any time you get a really smooth running detector it seems to many deep targets are being filtered out..... is this the case? It would be like running in auto..... which always seemed to have a FIXED depth..... it just wouldnt recognize a target at a cut off..... where as manual knew there was something there, but couldnt quite tell you what it was at a varied depth.

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Hello
Date: November 16, 2017 02:50PM
Here's a beach test report I've just found on the internet
I managed to test the stability on the beach today. Sensitivity 22, which is very high, I walked across dry sand down to the water using “Beach” Multi frequency, with no falsing. I then tried “Park” and “Field” modes. “Park” also works on the beach in multi frequency, but “fields” extra sensitivity makes it false on wet sand.

Posted by: NorCalGold
Date: November 17, 2017 09:47AM
Hello
Here's a beach test report I've just found on the internet
I managed to test the stability on the beach today. Sensitivity 22, which is very high, I walked across dry sand down to the water using “Beach” Multi frequency, with no falsing. I then tried “Park” and “Field” modes. “Park” also works on the beach in multi frequency, but “fields” extra sensitivity makes it false on wet sand.

He goes on to say:

"Any settings over 20 causes falsing anywhere. We’ve pushed to have too much sensitivity this time. I’ve always thought the CTX has not got enough, so this time we get 5 positions over the safe point. 22 on the beach was very usable, with only an occasional false sound (sometimes several minutes apart)."

This is going to be one heck of a machine on the beach by the sound of it.

Posted by: orgone500
Date: November 17, 2017 02:06PM
I think Minelab are playing fox. Get everyone nervous about the beach performance, then just before release, drop a video showing how well the Multi-IQ performs on wet sand, maybe even a head-to-head comparison against another single frequency detector to show the performance of Multi-IQ.

Snare the fence sitters when it matters, at release day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2017 02:08PM by orgone500.

Date: November 17, 2017 03:50PM
orgone500
I think Minelab are playing fox. Get everyone nervous about the beach performance, then just before release, drop a video showing how well the Multi-IQ performs on wet sand, maybe even a head-to-head comparison against another single frequency detector to show the performance of Multi-IQ.

Snare the fence sitters when it matters, at release day.

Gordon Heritage has done a test on the beach in the UK or somewhere in Europe , he says it works very well at sensitivity 22 and says that the machine has been up sensitised by 5 notches so 22 might be not far off the ET's top end.
Cant say where is on . Findmall rules . But anyway he is a Minelab man and i have been moaning at him a lot to get a test done . I dont think he would say untruths as it would look bad on him and he knows what i'm like if i get unhappy with a machine!

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 (might sell) , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 x 2 (ordered) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Posted by: "Carolina"
Date: November 18, 2017 07:19AM
I have decided to take a wait and see attitude and let the snow birds do some real testing during my winter months. Waiting on the spring thaw, some real test reports. After all, I have already found most of the targets in my living room and three months of warranty sitting in my closet doesn't make since. Good luck to all !!!

MINELAB CTX 3030
MINELAB Excalibur II
MINELAB Excalibur 1000
MINELAB Excalibur Gold Sword
VALLON VMH3CS
WHITES Dual Field

Date: November 18, 2017 09:41AM
"Carolina"
I have decided to take a wait and see attitude and let the snow birds do some real testing during my winter months. Waiting on the spring thaw, some real test reports. After all, I have already found most of the targets in my living room and three months of warranty sitting in my closet doesn't make since. Good luck to all !!!

I think you are right to wait if your not out.
But I reckon the machine will be fine on the beach.
Anyway when I get mine I will do a major hunt on a beach and test it to hell and back.
Roll on.

Posted by: NorCalGold
Date: November 18, 2017 09:54AM
Winter is a great season to hit the rugged, lonely, Northern California beaches. The black sand here will be a great test for the Equinox. The Safari, and CTX have done well, and we will hopefully SOON see how Multi-IQ handles it. I'm confident that Minelab has created another capable detector. And this time, one that is truly all-terrain.

Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Carrot

Lack of Field Reports on the Equinox has me scared!
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: November 18, 2017 02:05PM
6000proxl
The lack of Beach videos apparently none leaves me to wonder idf the Equinox is going to perform as crappy a most other VLF machines on the beach! Ive put my order on hold until sprin on the 800 I have a CTX and until the Equinox is tested by real world everyday detectorist ill wait!

I understand being uneasy with an unproven commodity I think it is perfectly reasonable to stand by and WAIT for a track record to develop. We know little about this new detector and have few field reports on it, especially in the Salt Water/Beach and Prospecting Modes. We can make assumptions on performance until the end of the earth, but in the end, they are still assumptions that some are uncomfortable in trusting. That's okay. Buy one next year or the year after IF the equinox has proved itself.

Best of luck out there in the field with WHATEVER detector you are using.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Re: Lack of Field Reports on the Equinox has me scared!
Posted by: Ksdirt
Date: November 18, 2017 02:46PM
Rich (Utah)
6000proxl
The lack of Beach videos apparently none leaves me to wonder idf the Equinox is going to perform as crappy a most other VLF machines on the beach! Ive put my order on hold until sprin on the 800 I have a CTX and until the Equinox is tested by real world everyday detectorist ill wait!

I understand being uneasy with an unproven commodity I think it is perfectly reasonable to stand by and WAIT for a track record to develop. We know little about this new detector and have few field reports on it, especially in the Salt Water/Beach and Prospecting Modes. We can make assumptions on performance until the end of the earth, but in the end, they are still assumptions that some are uncomfortable in trusting. That's okay. Buy one next year or the year after IF the equinox has proved itself.

Best of luck out there in the field with WHATEVER detector you are using.

I've already seen enough to make me buy one...some impressive vids....can't wait
Rich -

Re: Lack of Field Reports on the Equinox has me scared!
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: November 18, 2017 04:43PM
Ksdirt

I've already seen enough to make me buy one...some impressive vids....can't wait

Ksdirt,

The timing of this release of the equinox is very good for me as I've been looking for an all weather detector to fill the last spot in my small detector arsenal. I have one on order myself.

I've been looking for a couple years and have almost pulled the trigger on a couple different detectors; but held off. The equinox 800 checks the boxes of my basic requirements and then some. I've been using Minelab detectors since back in 2000 so they are familiar to me and I have confidence the equinox will do what I have in mind. And who knows, it might even do more than I am expecting and that would be a pleasant surprise.

As for those unsure about the equinox, that's fine. They do have an advantage that sometime down the road they can check the forum and see if the users are making post after post of questions, confusion and complaints or good finds.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login