Findmall.com

Minelab EQUINOX Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: I dont understand the hatred:confused:
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: November 08, 2017 09:05PM
Wayfarer
Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. :wink:

Mmmmmmm.......steak.......dammit now I'm hungry!!:drool:

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: November 08, 2017 10:03PM
Wayfarer
Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. :wink:

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

If the Eq lives up to its hype, count me as a happy buyer!

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 10:04PM by Champ Ferguson.

Second that, if and when I see posts of finds like when the XS first came out...
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: November 08, 2017 10:11PM
Then I will buy one.

Until then I'll read about the new technology, perhaps try find some background patent info, and refrain from comment.

I would love to see my old sites come alive again; but I've bought a couple of detectors with this hope and am still swinging my original XS.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 10:13PM by Chris(SoCenWI).

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: November 08, 2017 10:36PM
Champ Ferguson
Wayfarer

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

Me too. Been there done that with buying technology only to have it superseded by a newer and cheaper model. That's just the way it goes - time marches on. Happens all the time in all kinds of technology. I'm with you that I'd rather see a leap in detector technology than cling to yesteryear's flagship models. If you drop $2K+ on a flagship detector, you can't expect it to stay on top forever. 5 years for the CTX was a good run. If they can pull off a better detector for less $, it'd be great for all of us.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Re: Second that, if and when I see posts of finds like when the XS first came out...
Posted by: Rick(ND)
Date: November 08, 2017 11:48PM
Chris,

I got 2 of the new Minelab on order, 1 from a dealer and one from a guy up here in ND that wants to become a dealer (I am not a dealer anymore for MInelab)and needs to get 6 Minelab in for his first order.
Now when you make your yearly run up to MN maybe we can meet or something so you can try a new Equinox 800 out and just see what you think.
This new Equinox sound good from what we are reading and I know you and James like the XS, as much as I like my Sovereign GT, but just got to try something lighter weight so I had to get one to see if it can work for me and my hunting.

Rick

Sovereign GT
soon to be added the Minelab Equinox 800
Noka Impact Pro
Timberwolfs HP for the Sovereign
Uni Probe For The other detectors
Got the detectors, just need time to use them

Thank you Rick. I look forward to that....
Posted by: Chris(SoCenWI)
Date: November 09, 2017 02:46AM
I didn't make it up to MN this year, hopefully next. We still have some detectable days left this year down in Southern WI. I missed out on some good construction sites down here and read of some up north there, not sure if the James gang was able to hit any of them. I wish he would start posting again.

Chris

Posted by: amberjack
Date: November 09, 2017 06:57AM
I am unsure about IQ as I haven't used one so most of my posts reflect that I don't pretend to know things I don't so its just shooting the sh$t till I get to have a swing, but I know one thing for sure :clapping:

FFB

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 06:59AM by amberjack.

Posted by: dbado1
Date: November 09, 2017 07:36AM
Wayfarer
Champ Ferguson
Wayfarer

Me too. Been there done that with buying technology only to have it superseded by a newer and cheaper model. That's just the way it goes - time marches on. Happens all the time in all kinds of technology. I'm with you that I'd rather see a leap in detector technology than cling to yesteryear's flagship models. If you drop $2K+ on a flagship detector, you can't expect it to stay on top forever. 5 years for the CTX was a good run. If they can pull off a better detector for less $, it'd be great for all of us.

Well said, Guys.
Used to be a guy would have to spend some big bucks to build a rifle that would shoot a half inch group at 100 yards. Now, most major rifle manufacturers produce a over the counter rifle gauranteed to shoot half inch groups for under a grand. Technology marches on and becomes less expensive. Good for us.

Dean

Posted by: Beyonder
Date: November 09, 2017 09:57AM
IDXMonster
There are a lot of things that people like to bitchh about,it seems to give many comfort in some way. The "If I can point out others' perceived shortcomings,then maybe my own won't be so noticeable..." mentality... That's what I would expect in a 7th grade hallway. It carries a long way though,WAY into adulthood for many. The one thing I've seen break this habit for people is some big life changing event, i.e. a near death experience(horrible accident,health issues) or the actual death of someone close. It brings back into focus for those people what is actually important in life. Petty and meaningless(because no data really exists from real world users for any amount of time) conjecture about the Equinox is just that. While I am skeptical that this new machine will find what I exclusively hunt(deep silver) better than the CTX,I have to remind myself that several Explorer and etrac users once thought the same thing. I am counting on Minelab to deliver a nice all around machine that appeals to many customers because of the wide spread of environments in which it can hunt ,the light weight, and the rest that makes it uniquely what it is. It WILL do very well,not because of these attributes alone,but because of the reputation the company has for producing very highly intelligent machines. They have brought a lot of good things to the detecting table in the past,and this new machine won't be any different in that regard.
Will I buy one? Sadly,I'll be warming the bench,waiting to get into the game only after our team has a significant lead...if it revives everyone's old dead sites,I'm in. If not,I don't have a need for it. Im hoping the reports come fast and furious,and this is yet another great machine in the Minelab lineup,even if I personally don't need it right now.

One of the best posts on the internet. :)

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 09, 2017 10:31AM
Champ Ferguson
Wayfarer

Yep, if the EQ were equal to the CTX in performance, I would be ecstatic to drop half the weight and have a smaller, easier to pack detector. Honestly, I'm not looking for the EQ to beat or even replace my CTX. I'm excited for the ability to jump from multi to single freq, at my choice of freq and with adjustable recovery speed. The soil in my area is pretty mild, but some places are loaded with iron. So to able to have a DEUS-like trash hunter and then with a push of a button, an FBS-like coin hunter for the clean areas is a dream come true.

I know a lot of people have scoffed at the "makes all VLF obsolete" claim, but I think it does. It's not "obsolete" as in doubles the depth compared to all others, or "obsolete" as in finds silver dimes under a steel drum lid. I think it makes them obsolete because I can choose the freq I want without changes coils, I can chose the reactivity speed, I can switch from single to multi, I can hunt parks and then walk right down into the ocean surf and keep hunting. There is no other detector than can do all those things. So I think that bit of "hype" really does pan out.

As for the human nature aspect, I think you hit it. I think of people are scared that the $2500 stick they bought is now going to be up-ended by an $800 rival. Too many people look at detecting like it s a job and they have to get XXX performance increase for every dollar spent. I look at it as a fun hobby. I'll buy what I can afford if it works better or makes swinging easier. Even with a $2500 detector, this is the cheapest hobby I have seen. Hell, look what guys spend on hunting, fishing, golf, and don't even think about building a 4x4 (or any car hobby really) without a lot of time or lot of cash.

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: November 09, 2017 11:02AM
I hope it is all they say it is. It will be very exciting to have a new high performance detector for 800.00 bucks. The multiple freq at same time has got me chewing at the bit to get one. That comes from a guy who uses a deus ,, hate on that lol

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 09, 2017 07:36PM
You forgot that we spent many hours and money developing a load that would shoot an inch group with that rifle. I have almost quit reloading as I can get out of the box rifles and ammo that do the job that I once spent hours obtaining.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: November 09, 2017 07:44PM
I worked retail for many years and some folks just like to boast Mine is bigger, Better, Bader Etc than yours. Now with what may be an excellent new machine coming on the market the are worried sick that it may just be Lighter Faster and easier to use than theirs.

I am a bit on the conservative side (loll) and tend to wait until an item has proven itself before I put my money on the table. I will do the same with the EQ. I have seen too many products hit the market with great hype and then not even come close to performing as promised.

I certainly hope the EQ lives up to the promises as at nearly 77 years of age my sovereign GT is getting a bit heavy. My Xcal not so bad with the straight shaft.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: November 09, 2017 07:51PM
GeorgeinSC
I worked retail for many years and some folks just like to boast Mine is bigger, Better, Bader Etc than yours. Now with what may be an excellent new machine coming on the market the are worried sick that it may just be Lighter Faster and easier to use than theirs.

I am a bit on the conservative side (loll) and tend to wait until an item has proven itself before I put my money on the table. I will do the same with the EQ. I have seen too many products hit the market with great hype and then not even come close to performing as promised.

I certainly hope the EQ lives up to the promises as at nearly 77 years of age my sovereign GT is getting a bit heavy. My Xcal not so bad with the straight shaft.

Nothing wrong with waiting to see. By spring we should have a very solid idea of its abilities.

Posted by: dbado1
Date: November 09, 2017 08:57PM
GeorgeinSC
You forgot that we spent many hours and money developing a load that would shoot an inch group with that rifle. I have almost quit reloading as I can get out of the box rifles and ammo that do the job that I once spent hours obtaining.

Yes Sir. I still roll my own but see an end coming to that as well for the reason you stated. I just bought a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor but no dies. Gonna go factory ammo. New tech less fuss.

Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login