Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
DetectorPro PI: gain and pulse delay?
Posted by: TheHawg
Date: September 01, 2009 05:08AM
I am reading Clive's book on PI detecting and was wondering if the DetectorPro's frequency control was related to either the gain or the pulse delay he speaks about that other PI machines have. I was wondering also how the DetectorPro PI stacks up against these other PI machines he speaks about; mainly the Whites Duel Field that have gain and pulse delay settings.
Thanks,
TheHawg

Re: DetectorPro PI: gain and pulse delay?
Posted by: Mr.Bill
Date: September 01, 2009 08:19AM
The Headhunter PI is un-like most other PI's out there. When adjusting the "freq." control, it changes about 4 or 5 parameters in the circuit. The pulse delay, pulse width, and PPS rate to name a few. The Headhunter's pulse delay is from 15 ÁS. to 50 ÁS.. The pulse width 30 ÁS. to 150 ÁS. Transmit frequency, (PPS), 2000 pps to 10,000 pps.

Now I mentioned this because only Eric Fosters PI's have this arrangement, it's on his Goldquest series. Eric designed the Headhunter PI for Detector Pro, and based it on the Goldquest series units, actually the Beachscan PI.

On the Whites Dual Field: Originally the Surfmaster PI. When they did the partial modification to the original Surfmaster PI they decided to remove the pulse delay adjustment, and installed an adjustable receiver gain control. They called it the Surfmaster PI Pro. Not a very good move. When Eric did some design work for Whites recently,(Whites TDI) he designed the Dual Field Mono coil for them. Whites made a few changes to the coil and installed it on the Surfmaster PI Pro. They made a few changes to the Surfmaster including re-installing the Pulse Delay control. They then called the Surfmaster Dual Field.

Now on paper the Headhunter PI & the Dual Field should be neck n neck. In reality, the Headhunter PI has a slight edge. This mainly has to do with production procedures differences between company's. Detector Pro's are hand built, and adjusted units. Whites are more automated.The set up adjustments are a lot closer & tighter on the Headhunter PI. This gives it the edge, but they are close to each other.

I hope I didn't make this more confusing than needed be.

Later
Bill

Mr. Bill

Posted by: therover
Date: September 01, 2009 08:19AM
Hawg,

The Detector Pro PI's frequency control is a pulse delay. This PI, with the 11 inch open coil, is probably one of the deepest out there. Runs smooth and the delay helps tune the detector to the conditions you are hunting in. It also has a volume knob as one if the outside controls, which is a good thing. Some PI"s out there do not have a volume control or if they do, it's internal. There are lots of times when you want to adjust this based on the outside noise ( wind, ocean, rain, machinery, etc.). I would rather have a volume control I can adjust on the fly as opposed to having to open up the machine, or worse, have to fashion padding or whatever in the headphones because the sound it too loud ( or worse..the sound is too soft and you cannot hear the threshold changes). And the headphones are top notch...comfortable.

The 2 main bugaboo's I had with it was it's hard to pin point with the open 11 inch coil until you get some practice under your belt and the fact that the battery life for these units is between 8-10 hours. I sold mine ( wish I didn't but at the time PI's were not my thing. I have a Goldquest V2 now which I love but it's not water proof. I am thinking about getting it waterproofed but then again I am also thinking about getting another HH PI !).

One other issue with some hunters is that when they dove, the headphones leaked. I am not a diver, and don't go past waist deep when hunting, so I never had that problem. I did hunt in the rain, and got the occasional wave break over me, and I did not have any issues. I had the model rated to 100 feet. I think the new models are rated to only 6 feet, but they still have the connector where you can change coils. Great option for a PI, although the coils are not cheap.

If you are thinking about getting one, talk to Mr. Bill at Surfscanners ( best dealer for Detector Pro products in my opinion). Talk to him about the differences between the models of PI's out there, and also the difference between the open 11 inch coil and the 8 inch spider coil available for the DP PI.

When I had mine, I much preferred the 8 inch coil over the 11 for most of my hunting. The 8 inch coil seemed more stable in the water, still went deep, was a little more sensitive to the smaller targets and I could differentiate some sounds a little better, but the best part was the pin pointing. A heck of a lot easier with the smaller coil.

I think the HH PI is one of the best PI's out there.

JC

JC hit the nail on the head :thumbup: :) :)N/T
Posted by: Mr.Bill
Date: September 01, 2009 08:30AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Mr. Bill

Posted by: TheHawg
Date: September 01, 2009 01:07PM
thanks Guys. I already have the DetectorPro PI. I was just reading Clive's book and wondered about the adjustments. I haven't found much gold in the past, but I found 3 gold rings the last two trips with the DP PI. I don't know if it was just luck or not. And two of these were really big. I think one was lost by a giant. I could almost wear it as a bracelet and it was DEEP. It also has 5 diamonds. Yee Haw!!!
Thanks for the explanations.
TheHawg

It's a little luck, but you do have a great PI that will find gold jewelryN/T
Date: September 01, 2009 02:14PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: PI JOE
Date: September 01, 2009 06:31PM
Well said JC! I started waterhuntin in 2005, I purchase my PI from Mr Bill and found lots of old gold with it in the winter...Mr Bill you know the beach I'm talkin about. As you guys know, Old gold is very deep...Craig-PI and I hunt together and he will tell you how deep those rings are! March of 2007, Craig myself and three other guys work the hellout of this big cut and pull out 12 gold rings 10 silver! This was a two days hunt, I got 3 gold rings...one ring was 14-18"! Very happy with my choice. Thanks Mr Bill.

PS Mr Bill, I will show your post DP PI- Dual field to Craig!! LOL

DP HEADHUNTER PI
DP PiratePro
WHITES IDX-PRO

Hey PI JOE
Date: September 01, 2009 07:30PM
You and Craig PI are the reason why I went back to hunting with PI units here on the NJ beaches. I think it is fair to say, once you continue to use a PI and get comfortable and confident in the sounds/tones they emit, that a lot of shallow trash and iron can be differentiated from the better sounding targets.

As always, one has to dig lots of the trash targets such as pull tabs, aluminum can slaw, copper, etc. in order to get the gold jewelry and silver coins, but surface iron bits and nails are beginning to make sense to me. I think once you get 20 hours or so under your belt strictly using a PI, things begin to click. One of my main things was getting the idea of passing over all these 'chains' that are giving me double beeps, are really shallow nails and bobbie pins. Sure, I still dig 2 or 3 to start the day to get feel for the sound, but after that, sweeping from all angles and listening to the sound and getting that nasty loud, wide double hit from one angle and the single, less nasty hit from another angle, you know that it's probably the nail or bobbie pin. I now leave those targets alone unless there is nothing hitting then I dig em to be sure. But when I am hitting coins, rings and other non-ferrous targets on the beach ( like this Sunday) then those double hits are left in the sand.

I am really glad I am back into the PI thing. I use my Goldquest V2 most, but recently purchased an older, used Surf PI with Mr. Bills mods that I am going to send back to him for a check up and I am seriously considering getting another HH PI ( with 8 inch coil to start). Matter of fact, I will be putting up several of my land units as well as a few water units for sale to pay for the purchase.

There aren't many times in the last 2-3 months where the PI could not be used. At certain times and tides at one beach, you really can't use it because there are so many nails and iron that the time/good target ratio is not favorable. And that is during the Winter months where you don't dare go into the water so its all wet sand, suds and sem-dry sand hunting.

Anyway, I do feel that the HH PI is right up there with the best of the others and has some features that the others can't touch.

One of the best things about the PI units also is, you can put it in the hands of a newbie that wants to start beach hunting and not worry about if the machine is optimized. Just set it up for stable running and off they go. Yes, they will dig lots of garbage, but isn't that part of the fun ? At least you know the newbie will not miss anything metal and possibly come up with the prize of the day. I know there have been times when I let friends use several different VLF machines on the beach and after 20-30 minutes of not finding anything, they got bored. I kept wondering if the machine was set up correctly, did they accidentally alter something, was the mineralization really effecting depth, etc. Next time out, gave them a PI. Yes, they dug lots of stuff, but at least they were digging and they were not bored !!! They found coins, nails, washers, etc. No jewelry, but since they found stuff, it wet their appetite for more.

JC

Re: Hey PI JOE
Posted by: the Swede
Date: September 03, 2009 01:08PM
...and I who almost had made my mind up getting the Excalibur II... DARN! :blink:

Posted by: ujat
Date: September 03, 2009 03:43PM
Confirmed! It is a great machine. Still learning it but on the second hunting with it i pulled out a 1980 50 Lire Coin from a depth no less of 50 cm ( 19 inches!!!). The only drawback: it is power hungry!

Posted by: PI JOE
Date: September 03, 2009 09:06PM
ujat
Confirmed! It is a great machine. Still learning it but on the second hunting with it i pulled out a 1980 50 Lire Coin from a depth no less of 50 cm ( 19 inches!!!). The only drawback: it is power hungry!

Yes Sir, Raw power....:hot: I love it! I get about 6 - 7 hrs. :cool:

DP HEADHUNTER PI
DP PiratePro
WHITES IDX-PRO

Posted by: ROBOCOP
Date: September 21, 2012 09:33AM
Detector Pro HeadHunter PI 11 inch coil.

I revived this old thread because I always appreciated the info it provided and it relates to my current question.
The multiple parameters adjusted by the frequency control knob?
My current settings for Florida east coast beaches are as pictured:
Frequency @ 4:30 and tune at 11:30. Small red dots on ear cup case. And I use full volume.
At this setting I have a slight threshold sound and no falsing unless my swing speed gets a little too fast or my change in direction of swing gets too fast.
My question is can I approximate what my pulse delay, pulse width and transmit frequency actually are by the knob positions?

Or do I just assume that the circuitry will maximize to the best of it's ability gold targets (lowest pulse delay - among other things - based on conditions)

Thanks

PS I use Lithium - Ion rechargeables that recharge to 8.24 volts nominal and are rated @ 600 mah and I keep them above 7.9 volts when in use.

Is Mr. Bill still around?

HH PI 11" coil...hard to pinpoint, yes, but...
Posted by: brissietex
Date: September 21, 2012 05:21PM
I am not so sure how much smaller that I would want to find stuff with my HH PI, though...

I have several tiny eyelets and washers that I have found over the last few beach hunts and though they were a pain to find in spoil heap (even with a pin-pointer), they came in nice and clear in the ground. That is one of the deceptive (yet great) things about the HH PI...sometimes it hits so hard that you think the target is much bigger than it actually is. Now if I could only have an anti-bobby pin filter on it. :-)

I personally like the 11" coil for the coverage even with the tough pin-pointing. I don't get out often enough and even then, my time is limited so coverage is more key to my fun right now. I am also one of those guys who loves his 15" WOT coil on his Explorer. You know what they say about the size of a guy's coil....:detecting:

cheers...Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login