Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
First Outing with the PI
Posted by: Popsgoatee
Date: January 19, 2012 07:35PM
Had a couple of hours to run out and try this thing out. The beach I took it to hasn't been the most productive in the past but is well used (and hunted by others) and I thought if I could find some targets here it would be a good test run.

Found the usual clad coins, (1) quarter, (5) dimes (1) Nickel (8) pennies and then a boatload of nails of all sizes. Targets ranged from the few inches to 14 inches deep, man that was fun! I know it isn't anything earth shattering but it was just the fact of locating the targets as well as the depth that was fun. There was a few times I couldn't even see the target my coil said was there, did pull a dinky staple about a quarter inch long up from around 8 inches, that blew my mind!

Now I have a question for you PI users, with my Wader, almost all nails would double beep but with the PI only some would. I did have a very large range of sizes from full to smaller chunks as well as wire thin remnants but again only a few of the large amount I found double sounded. I always approach each target from multiple angles to get a clean sound so I know that's not it. Any thoughts?

Another question is with my settings, is the tone suppose to be smooth with a PI or slightly irregular? Also when I stop to dig and let my coil touch the ground it sounds off, I backed off on the threshold to barely audible but don't want to miss the "whispers" I'm running the freq. all the way and then back a hair, seems to do well there, we do have quite a bit of black sand around here so maybe that' part of the slight falling I'm getting.

Anyway always appreciate the input here, thanks!!

Ken :o)=

Re: First Outing with the PI
Posted by: tvr
Date: January 20, 2012 08:02PM
Ken,
Well if you walked around the target while swinging and did not get a double blip from any approach, then the target was not going to give itself away as wire or nail. Many wire or nail or hair pin targets do double blip along one axis and not another, but some don't. Could be target orientation such as long axis sitting vertically in the sand or some other factor. Round or square or irregular shapes of iron that are not much longer in one direction than another, often don't give themselves away.

The tone (or background threshold) is not entirely smooth with my HH Pulse, nor with the Sand Shark. There area interfering sources that make it much worse. Getting near another PI, an Excal or Sovereign or when I was close to a DFX the threshold was all over the place. Also nearer to the wireless internet hubs at some hotels would make it more irregular but with a periodic cycle to it.

I have not had mine sound off just sitting the coil on the sand. If I bumped the sand fairly hard on a swing when I was trying to keep an even distance to the sand, then I'd get a sound off, but, of course, going over the spot again gave nothing. I've found that over heavy black sand streaks I need to slow down a lot or it sounds on the black streaks. Kind of like when I needed to slow down to get best results on the nickle in the air test.

On the coil sounding off; when I had stepped on a coil on the Sand Shark and apparently damaged it (nothing visible, but behavior changed) it would sound off hard on waves and when just set down with the coil flat on wet sand. I could use it over wet sand but could not touch the sand or water or set the coil down without getting a loud screech. I got a used coil to replace the damaged one and the sounding off issue was solved. The HH Pulse is affected some by waves but not a hard sound off on every wave.

Sounds like you had a fun outing!
Cheers,
tvr

Posted by: therover
Date: January 23, 2012 09:21PM
Ken,

Sounds like you are getting the hang of the PI. The only advice I can give you is this:

1) You are hunting with a PI, so go into the game knowing you are going to dig more junk but also not miss much.

2) The HH PI will hit much harder and deeper on nickels and targets in that range of conductivity.

3) KEEP USING IT. It will take you a good 30-50 hours on that unit to start to really hear the differences in smaller targets, ferrous targets and the crisper, narrow targets that turn out to be nickels, pull tabs and gold rings. You will also start to learn what shallow iron sounds like, as well as elongated targets like wire, nails, etc. The majority of double hits are shallow, elongated targets. Also, realize you WILL be fooled by deeper iron...especially deep rusty washers and other rounder iron targets. Just the nature of the beast.

4) Sweep slow and low.

5) You already are doing this...HAVE FUN WITH THAT UNIT. It's a good one.

Posted by: the Swede
Date: January 25, 2012 03:30PM
Me just cancelled me earlier purchase of the HHPI...!!! ;-)

therover
Ken,

Sounds like you are getting the hang of the PI. The only advice I can give you is this:

1) You are hunting with a PI, so go into the game knowing you are going to dig more junk but also not miss much.

2) The HH PI will hit much harder and deeper on nickels and targets in that range of conductivity.

3) KEEP USING IT. It will take you a good 30-50 hours on that unit to start to really hear the differences in smaller targets, ferrous targets and the crisper, narrow targets that turn out to be nickels, pull tabs and gold rings. You will also start to learn what shallow iron sounds like, as well as elongated targets like wire, nails, etc. The majority of double hits are shallow, elongated targets. Also, realize you WILL be fooled by deeper iron...especially deep rusty washers and other rounder iron targets. Just the nature of the beast.

4) Sweep slow and low.

Date: January 25, 2012 10:23PM
Why??

the Swede
Me just cancelled me earlier purchase of the HHPI...!!! ;-)

therover
Ken,

4) Sweep slow and low.

Date: January 29, 2012 11:18AM
Thanks for all the input guys, looking forward to some decent low tides to keep working it! HH!! :twodetecting:

Posted by: ROBOCOP
Date: March 07, 2012 05:45PM
Also first outing with the PI today. I was on the beach with a windy big surf pounding noisy day but the headphones were great.
I used the PI settings I learned in this forum. I have a 11 inch coil and used max volume and max frequency and threshold at about 10 o'clock.
After about 15 minutes I had the hang of it. Found a 1 inch nail at 6 inches, a piece of 1 inch square foil at about 12 inches and a kitchen knife at 8 inches in 2 and a half hours. I'm using HYTECH Lithium -Ion rechargeables rated at 600 mah. Got the charger and 4 batteries thru Horizon Battery for $80.
I'm checking them with a meter periodically to learn their drain rate. Their good for 500 recharges!!! A guy with a Garret came by when I was digging out the foil and he saw how deep I was digging and he said "Are you getting a reading off the wet sand?" When I found the foil and showed it to him I think he was amazed that there really was something there that deep. That was priceless.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login