Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
A beach week with HH detectors
Posted by: tvr
Date: October 26, 2014 01:57PM
Just back from a week in Panama City Beach. Perfect weather and perfect water for the entire week. Packed a Wader and HH Pulse for the week.

Hunted the first day with the Wader; about two hours over wet and dry sand and two hours in the water. Pretty much every target could be pulled up with one scoop, meaning that the deepest targets found were bottle caps or quarters at around 7 to 8 inches. Performance was OK in the salt water. Sweeping it slow kept it from falsing and it found targets at about the same depth as over the wet / dry sand. Using the Wader gave me a survey of iron conditions and the results were what I was hoping for; not too much to bring out the HH Pulse.

Spent the rest of the week with the HH Pulse. Got in about 5 hours detecting per day for the remaining days; nearly all in the water. Doesn't get much better than being able to see where the coil is and where the scoop is when chest deep in the water; and calm water at that.

Previous hunting with the HH Pulse found that it likes EverReady batteries and gets a bit noisy when I used Duracells. I packed some BJ's club 9 volts for this trip, as well as enough EverReady to do the week if the BJ's batteries did not suit it. It ran as well on the BJ's batteries as it does on the EverReady. I am pleased with that. I could not find any specs on the BJ's batteries. The only possible reason for a difference I could find with the specs for the EverReady and the Duracells is that the EverReady has a bit lower internal resistance.

One thing I will need to fix; both arm rests had the velcro pads release from the arm rest after being in the water for a few hours. I had to take a boogie board leash and use that wrapped around a few times to hold the detector so it didn't get away when digging. When the velcro pads dried, I was able to re-stick them on; but that did not last long. Pictures are of one arm rest with the pads stuck in place and the other with them off. I am thinking of possibly riveting them to the arm rests. I'll look more closely at my other water detectors first, since I have not lost any of their straps yet.

Grand totals for the week:
119 tabs
187 bottle caps
$8.56 in change
Misc. junk
3 rings; one plated copper, one tungsten and one cobalt chrome.
What ever happened to using precious metal for jewelry?
Cheers,
tvr

Re: A beach week with HH detectors
Posted by: finnfoto
Date: December 02, 2014 11:34AM
Sounds like you had a really good trip. Any time spent on any beach is always a good time ,Especially with a detector.

Have to love the ring finds also thats what gets the heart pumping when yous ee that glimmer of fake gold and fake sterling silver. Gotta love the stainless also. LOL

best of luck tho on the next big adventure and I may bump into you some time on the beaches..

Date: December 02, 2014 05:41PM
Yes, was a very good trip. Great relaxing time hunting the beach and water and time spent with my wife. She found a couple handfuls of sea glass, a couple of interesting shells and two sharks teeth. She makes a killing finding the shark teeth when we visit Myrtle Beach area; not so much on the Florida trips.

For the velcro pads that came off; I think I will either cut slots in the arm rest to put straps through or buy the White's heavy duty arm cuff with strap and replace the originals.
Cheers,
tvr

Date: April 24, 2015 07:02PM
An update ... I put White's heavy duty arm cuffs on both the HH Pulse and the Wader. The plastic bolts on the original cuff look like they are 1/4 inch diameter. The hole on the Whites cuff are smaller but line up perfectly with the existing holes in the Detector Pro shafts. A couple of 10-24 x 1 1/4 inch stainless steel pan heads with locking nuts on each cuff and I'm ready to pack both detectors for the next flight to an out of town beach.
Cheers,
tvr

Posted by: JAN1
Date: April 25, 2015 08:30AM
I never use the arm cups on my Waders as it would take too long to keep pulling my arm out to find stuff with the probe. I use a harness so I just let go of the machine and find the item.
Best days out. 150 coins on one beach, about 200 large fishing weights on another and over 350 coins over 3 days on the beach where I had the 150 about 6 months before.
Don't forget the stuff can stay on the bottom for hundreds of years and is only found when the sand level drops, last summer I had a large mans wedding band that had been in the water so long most of the copper had corroded out and a few years ago a friend of mine found a Roman ring that was estimated to be 2,000 years old and must have been lost in a ship wreck.
I know what you mean though I had my first Tungsten wedding band last summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2015 08:35AM by JAN1.

Date: April 26, 2015 07:46AM
Always an awesome time in Fl. I truly love hunting down there. Every summer I hunt Fl for 2 weeks straight.

Looks like the DP units did very well for you. Congrats on your finds. :clapping:

Date: April 26, 2015 06:38PM
Thanks for the inputs.

Although the trip was 12 months ago, wife and I still remember it fondly. Took me nearly 6 months to do the cuff update on the two detectors. In about a month, we fly for a 4 day trip. The plan is to pack both the HH Pulse and the Wader. Hoping for calm water!
Cheers,
tvr

Date: April 27, 2015 07:56AM
Hope to see some finds pic's of your trip.

B:thumbup:est of luck .

Date: April 27, 2015 05:42PM
Dang, I should proof read before I hit the post button. The note of "12 months ago" should read "6 months ago" ... and If I get anything other than junk on the upcoming trip, I'll post something.

These detectors have traveled well. Lighter and easier to pack than the other water proof detectors I have. Less mass to protect from banging against the scoop when a baggage handler throws the luggage. And they find the goods too!
Cheers,
tvr

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login