Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
UNDERWATER Review
Posted by: seahunter34
Date: November 27, 2014 02:35PM
Hi guys! I just love treasure hunting and specialize in searching for lost gold, silver and platinum jewelry in the sea. I travel several times a year to beautiful Caribbean Islands in pursuit of the hobby. Over the years I've tried just about every water metal detector available. PI or VLF, you name it I've used it. No matter which machine used I kept returning to 1 machine, the Minelab Excalibur. Why? Because the Excalibur always found the most gold for me. I'm not claiming that the Excalibur is the do all end all detector, it's just for my style of hunting the Excalibur has consistently produced the most. As far as I'm concerned, the Excalibur is a gold magnet. Having reached this same conclusion over and over again, for the past several years I've stopped testing other machines and made my Excaliburs my Go To machines.

A brief word about PIs. In certain conditions PIs rock! Like in black sand and I've done very well at times using a PI. But I can't argue with actual results. Not only mine but also the group of guys I travel with. Bring a PI on the hunt and find less gold. On some trips we find thousands in scrap gold and the the PI user almost always finds the least!

I'm always thinking about a better mousetrap and recently decided to give 2 newer machines a try, the Minelab CTX 3030 and the DetectorPro Underwater. I've now used the CTX on 3 hunts and while the 3030 is a great detector, I've concluded it's not a great travel detector. For one the CTX is difficult to pack in standard size luggage, but also the 3030 battery gasket has to be constantly cleaned to avoid battery compartment flooding and 1 drop of saltwater can ruin your machine! In a nutshell while shallow water hunting, sand works its way onto the battery gasket and if not cleaned, eventually will cause a leak. I'm in the sea for hours at a time and hit many beaches during the course of a day. In the hot Caribbean sun, slathered in sun block with salt and sand everywhere, constantly cleaning that gasket is just not practical. But on this recent trip I mostly stuck with the CTX because I needed to come to a conclusion about the machine for my needs. While the CTX finds gold, my Excaliburs simply find more and without the hassle of constant cleaning. It is what it is.

But now to the point of this post. The new DetectorPro Underwater. On my recent trip I had the fortunate opportunity to try one of the first production Underwater machines. A new fellow on the trip just happened to be a DetectorPro distributor and he eagerly wanted me to give the machine a run for the money. I'll say with the first glimpse of the Underwater I was intrigued. It just looked darned good! The Underwater is not your fathers Headhunter! The new see-thru Polycarbonate ear cup housings is plain impressive! The Underwater is far more durable than previous DetectorPro machines such as their now out of production Diver. Even the 3 control knobs are better! The Underwater is fully waterproof to 100 feet and the best new feature is the new internal lithium ion rechargeable battery, which can provide more than 40 hours of use on a single charge. I understand during testing the battery lasted nearly 100 hours! With that kind of power while on a 1 or 2 week treasure hunt, one may not ever have to recharge the battery! No that's a real time saver and especially in foreign lands!

Yet in the back of my mind I wondered how this small machine could hope to compete with my 3030? No way, Right? Besides I had tested the Diver version several times previously and it simply was no match for my machines of choice.

It was on the last day of this particular trip that I felt compelled to give the Underwater a spin. Well, this was my last opportunity to do so and I did in shallow saltwater and at a beach 6 of us had pounded with Excals and 3030s for 2 weeks. As I entered the water I had my doubts, but decided to stick with it. Though within the first 5 minutes I almost headed back to my bungalow to fetch my CTX, figuring if I wanted to find anything of value on my last hunt I'd better do so. Then suddenly I got a good hit and scooped a dropped 2 Euro coin that had obviously been in the sea for awhile. Then another and another and I began to wonder how 6 of us with top of the line machines had missed these coins? FYI, a 2 Euro coin is worth about $2.60 US and those coins when found easily paid for my nightly dinners!

Well now, perhaps there's something to this Underwater after all? So I continued my hunt and went on to recover target after target and at first scooped everything that beeped. My scoop brought to light many interesting finds including several pieces of silver jewelry, including rather small silver rings! After awhile I only dug targets that gave what I deemed to be good solid responses, as there were only a few hours left before having to pack for the flight home. One of those responses took me by complete surprise and glistening in the Caribbean sun, in my scoop was the glitter of gold. A beautiful 9 gram solid 18K men's signet ring! Really? On this pounded beach where gold finds had stopped for all? A very nice surprise indeed which got my blood boiling and the fever hit causing me to detect like a Mad Fool! My time was running out as I kept glancing at my watch and I simply did not want to quit!

OK so what did I learn? Well the Underwater impressed me very much and to tell the truth, I'd not had that much fun detecting in a long time! The Underwater is so simple to use, so lightweight and plain fun to use! I never expected the 8 inch concentric coil to so easily sniff out targets, but it did. Most targets were retrieved with one solid scoop, but several required 2 scoops. So this machine was hitting pretty deep and well within the average depth of my CTX and Excalibur! Honestly on these trips most gold is scoped within the first 6 inches and the Underwater was hitting targets beyond 10! This in saltwater where I was able to run sensitivity near max at 9+ with no false signals! Good targets were easy to discern from trash by ear as the iron discrimination of the Underwater is real good! While my 3030 and Excaliburs are slow responding machines, the Underwater responds lightning quick. No matter how fast I covered ground or moved the coil, the Underwater nailed targets! Plus even with the low 2.4 KHz search frequency, the Underwater clearly was very responsive to gold range targets and it hit on the scooped gold ring hard! Impressive? You bet!

At this particular beach I had found several pieces of 18K jewelry using my CTX during our first week. After testing the Underwater I'm certain had I been using it instead, I certainly would have found the same gold! That impresses me. This with a fun and easy to use and pack detector!

What gets me the most is how much fun it was using the machine. Will the Underwater replace my Excaliburs? That's yet to be seen. I definitely will be bringing an Underwater on my next treasure trip!

Sometimes it's funny how things turn out. The Underwater got to me like few machines have. Out of the blue when it was suggested that I become a DetectorPro dealer, I went for it! I've often thought about becoming a metal detector dealer as an extension of the hobby and this door unexpectedly opened. We'll see how it goes and perhaps one day I'll carry other brands?

The Underwater is the type of machine every treasure hunter should consider and can be used for general treasure hunting from mountains to sea, rain or shine! It's lightweight, easy to use and powerful. A machine the user can become one with and the kind that tends to find the goodies! Yes I'm obviously very impressed and just had to crow about this machine! For me this detector passed my picky testing in saltwater and passed with flying colors! While the DetectorPro Underwater is easy to set up and use, if any here want to know more specifics, feel free to contact me. I'll fill you in on the settings I used and why and also more about the Caribbean trips I partake in.

Re: UNDERWATER Review
Posted by: nagov
Date: November 27, 2014 04:19PM
Interesting review, thanks, I've been waiting for a good write up on the UW. I can see one in my future to give it a try....I just need to unload a few detectors before I go and buy another.

Thanks again

Cliff

Walk near it, swing over it and understand what the machine is telling you....

Date: November 27, 2014 04:52PM
nagov, while no metal detector is perfect for everything, the new UW is just plain cool! DetectorPro got it right on this one! I see the UW a good choice for Pros as well as beginners. It's fun, easy to use yet powerful. By that I mean it will find treasure- the UW is no toy! Serious treasure hunters most likely will own several machines for specific purposes. I do and will be adding my own UW! The UW is perfect for travel or unexpected detecting opportunities because it packs down so small. The best part... this thing works! The discrimination is so good one can hear the junk! Even for the basic hobbyist this UW would make for a very good all-use machine! I think this is the best detector DetectorPro has ever produced! The UW is everything their old Diver wished to be! With that said the UW is not for the user who wants complicated settings and programs to play with as the UW is basically a turn on and go, set it and forget it machine! I personally like how small it packs for travel. Say you're on a cruise and visiting a private Island where thousands of cruise passengers swim. The UW in your backpack would draw zero attention! Have detector- will travel... Right? Really- in my mind the UW is a good machine and I doubt anyone who picks an UW would be disappointed.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: November 28, 2014 06:52AM
Thats a hell of a write up!:clapping:...its got my attention...nice job on those chains there...all that gold is stunning, but those chains...oh those chains!:drool:

Forgive my ignorance on this product..., I presently hunt fresh water swim areas and large beach expanses with an AtPro...I plan to also do some shallow (20-30') diving this coming year around swim rafts/docks on freshwater lakes, so I have been struggling with locating a rig that would successfully accomplish that purpose without the bulk and expense of the CZ21 or the Excal, and hit gold chains! (which the AtPro does quite nicely) ......do you think I will benefit from the Underwater? I like rigs that are fast light, and simple, long batt life,...and most importantly, effective on gold, mainly chains...so your write up has got me drooling here...
Mud

ps...been reading other posts as of NOW on this product, as well as the owners manual...getting some other questions answered...the price is not bad at all...if the things bangs chains, then I am going to have to have one..:thumbup:.

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 07:05AM by mudpuppy.

Posted by: jerseyjim
Date: November 28, 2014 09:08AM
I would like some more info. On the trip.

Date: November 28, 2014 06:03PM
mudpuppy, thanks for the kind words! Eventually I'll write an even more detailed review- why? Because I do like the new Underwater and now sell them! Firstly I need to make clear, most likely the UW will not hit on gold chains any better than other waterproof VLF machines. It will hit on larger chains, but I've not tested this thoroughly enough. The Excalibur will not hit smaller chains either- especially in saltwater. Nor the CTX 3030. Yet there are always some surprises as I've detected and dug some pretty small gold chains in my scoop and chains without pendants!

Your AT Pro is a very nice machine and I like it! My hunting takes me to saltwater and when I tested the AT Pro in the Caribbean it failed miserably in that environment! Too bad- Really! On this last Caribbean trip I discovered some locals had purchased AT Pros to use in the shallow water and that's fine by me and helps to explain why they're missing lots of the gold in the sea there!

I've not used the AT Pro in freshwater and if it's finding chains for you, GREAT! Chains, chains, chains! Oh those elusive chains and I've spent many hours pondering a way to find them! Why I'm thinking there must be many just waiting to be scooped in the sea! I've found for me, the problem becomes I concentrate too much on trying to hit the smallest of signals- I start looking for small gold and when that happens that's exactly what I find, the smaller stuff! That detecting style is fine, only when on a treasure vacation with limited time, I've found it's better to look for the big stuff and forget stressing over those small pieces/chains. I hit the bigger chains anyway or chains with larger clasps or pendants. I just would rather spend my time looking for the lager pieces of gold, which I know are out there. Truthfully I could not claim the UW is a great chain detector. If you really want a chain machine then get an ATX! I understand it hits chains hard!

If the AT Pro is working for you, by all means stick with it. I suspect for general water hunting the UW is better. First it works as well in saltwater as in fresh! The UW is waterproof to 100 feet while the AT Pro just 10 feet. With the UW there is no ground balancing required and the UW is very compact for underwater use. I know the AT Pro has a small housing footprint, but with the UW there is none and resistance underwater should be less. The UW batteries are within the headset and are rechargeable, and last a very long time! I know your AT Pro is very good in iron, but so is the UW and by sound. Basically set the discrimination around 3 and most iron breaks up.

No detector is perfect for everything and a reality one has to accept. And using the most expensive machine out there may not find you more treasure either! Some of the finds I've seen made by cheap machines and by beginners is amazing! Yes there is a Pro aspect to hunting but also plain luck! I think more important than ones choice of machine is ones attitude while hunting! When I think positive and expect to find, I do. I really like the UW. So that helps keep things positive! I also like the AT Pro, as well as some Tesoro detectors. I might as well say it... If I had to pick just one machine for the rest of my life, I would pick an UW! I can pretty much use it anywhere and would concentrate on what I can find with it. It would not surprise me if the UW could hit on larger gold nuggets in tailing piles- I'm thinking a nice 3oz nugget here!:crazy: Each of us have to find the right machines and that can be very personal. For me an UW fits my needs and in my mind is a machine that should quickly pay for itself! As a water hunter I think you might find that too? Oh one more thing... I hate to admit it but I prefer to cover ground. Yes I can hunt very slow and methodical, but covering more ground sets me free! I know some find more hunting slow and tearing up a section of ground inch by inch, but in shallow water I tend to find more covering ground. And the more ground I cover the more I find! As mentioned before, the UW is a very fast responding machine. Why the last 20 minutes I used it on vacation I was sweeping frantically underwater and was surprised that the UW still hit one target after another! So I think the UW is a good one for covering ground.

Date: November 28, 2014 06:28PM
Hi jerseyjim,

I mostly travel to the Caribbean to hunt with a group of guys. Usually 4 to 6 in the group. The idea is that we split expenses and in doing so the trip becomes more affordable. I would say on average the share expense runs $500 a week. That would include lodging and share of rental vehicle and some food like breakfast/lunch. Each going pays their own airfare and dinners. These treasure hunts are a group thing and we stick together for safety. The routine is mostly to get up early, get a quick bite, then head for a beach. Throughout the day we'll hit several beaches and stop for a lunch as needed. Evenings we eat dinner together and sharing tales/finds of the day. Some new to our group do scuba, while the rest concentrate in the shallows and we almost never detect on the beach, so as not to attract attention or disturb others. Besides we just plain find more in the water! The trips are not tours or detecting lessons, but are an opportunity to find gold, silver, platinum and coins! We rent a van to get around and work together as a group. None may go off on their own or do sightseeing. Treasure hunting is the main focus of the trip and we watch each others backs! For the most part these trips are fun and enjoyable and there are no guarantees of finding gold- however we always do and sometimes quite a bit. A good trip would be paying for and covering your expenses, and one usually finds enough coins in the sea to pay for nice dinners! A great trip, well... I've found more than $7,000 in scrap gold in 10 days! Then too at times expensive ICE shows up in your scoop! Then there can be slow trips too and that's just the way it is. But really these trips are mostly about adventure and the chance of finding while sharing good times with fellow treasure hunters. Memories to last a lifetime and just to know you did it! I'm not sure I can post a web address here, so I'll send it via PM. There you can read about several adventures. If you're interested in going someday, send me a PM for more info on that. All going on these trips become friends. Oh, we're starting to explore doing beaches in the Europe/Africa regions.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: November 29, 2014 06:46AM
Thank you for the additional feedback! :clapping:

I hear you about speed sweeping and covering some major ore bearing realestate..Both my present rigs are intended for quick brooming, (F70,AtPro) and yet, I can settle down and work a target heavy place once I find one..both these rigs are running what, 14-15Khz?

I'm thinking that 2.4Khz.on the UW would add me an alternate weapon in some places?...also, the lightness and travelability you mentioned...one of my strategies is to cover some major ground to a decent effective depth, and really run and gun...so a heavier slower rig is out of the question...I was doing some math the other day, and figure I walked over 100 miles swinging coil in July alone, (dry sand) based on where I park, and how far I go down and back...wading miles I have no idea, it depends on the conditions...but that was a lot too...going through a set of batts in the Pro every 3-4 days...(@15hrs) before they begin to fall off, and once they start to drop, they really fall off fast..I'm a gold hunter...up on the shores of Lake Mich and inland waters...

Those trips are about the best thing I can think of! A serious ransacking with some great comraderie at the end of a long day! I once imagined a fellow would try to sweep into a resort place right after a big storm to take advantage of the exposed targets...so a guy wouldnt need a DEEP rig, just a fast light one, and be first on the spot?, as well as maybe get some favorable rates..? That little Udub would be perfect for smokejumping storms across the globe...
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Posted by: TXPIRATE
Date: November 29, 2014 07:48AM
We're you hunting with Streeter I read his stuff for years those men find some gold. Good write up

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: November 29, 2014 09:20AM
Very good review. love the info. Also the fact another individual takes the fun trips to other locations for some awesome beach hunting. Rock on there.

I have had numerous units as well over the last 23 years and am one who has built similar versions of the headhunter headphone units useing tessoro units and so forth. I've also made minor internal adjustments on the cobra beach magnets and detector pro pirate units to gain more depth. I keep falling back to the detector pro units just like the tesoro units. They have a way of drawing you in and making detecting alot of fun.

Have not yet tried the underwater yet but it looks like that may be on my Christmas List. . :cheers:

Date: November 29, 2014 09:23AM
Trips sounds cool. What would concern me a bit is bringing back any really valuable gold coins say DUBLOONS? back thru customs? Any issue there?

Date: November 29, 2014 06:39PM
TXPIRATE, I do not want to seem like I'm promoting anything on this forum and have to be careful, but yes I hunt with his group/s.

Date: November 29, 2014 06:44PM
finnfoto, if you like the Tesoro machines and past DP products, you'll love the UW for sure! In my mind it's the best VLF they've made to date! Plus you're right... these simpler and smaller machines work well and bring the fun back!

Date: November 29, 2014 06:47PM
finnfoto
Trips sounds cool. What would concern me a bit is bringing back any really valuable gold coins say DUBLOONS? back thru customs? Any issue there?

We've been doing this for years and never once has there been any problems returning home with loot from the Caribbean. We pack it in our carry on.

Date: November 29, 2014 07:13PM
Yaaaaarrrrr sparking my intrest seahunter34. the detector would be carry on but then you'd have to check in any longhandle sandscoop if need be? I'd sooner handfan if snorkeling.

Heck with the scoop. LOL:twodetecting:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login