Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Headhunter UDERWATER Introduction
Posted by: seahunter34
Date: December 03, 2014 01:52PM
Guys, I'm so very impressed with the new Underwater! Besides the basic review posted here I've written this Introduction to the Underwater. What do you guys think? I also want to write a more detailed field test or 2 down the road. Introducing the New DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater-
The ultimate do-all metal detector!
By Chris Valerio

The New DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater metal detector- There's simply no other machine like it anywhere and the technology behind this detector is simply amazing! First off the concept of having all the electronics built within the headphones is ahead of its time and now perfected. By design this treasure finder weighs a mere 3.5lbs, making it a pleasure to swing for hours in the field. Especially with the electronics sitting comfortably over your ears, which feels about the same as any other brand of standard detector headphones. Hence the name Headhunter and all that's left to swing is the light rod, coil and cabling. Fantastic, talk about fatigue-free hunting!
So exactly what's this new Underwater really all about? Well for one this is not your father’s Headhunter or any other machine for that matter. The new Underwater has taken the Headhunter concept to perfection! Besides improved performance the Underwater is quality made and solid. The new and cool see-thru polycarbonate earcup housings are much more durable than the ABS plastic used in previous models and is fully sealed at the factory. The new powerful Lithium Ion rechargeable battery system is enclosed within an earcup and provides 40+ hours of use on a single charge, so one never has to open this detector for battery replacement. As such the Underwater is always waterproof and rated to 100 feet deep. A battery charger that easily plugs into the detector and wall outlet is included.
Please don't let the name Underwater mislead you. This is far more than a machine for just water hunting and right from the get-go the Underwater was designed as a do-all detector to be used from mountain to sea, rain or shine in search of treasure. So when you're hot on the trail to treasure, even a sudden downpour won't spoil your hunt. While lesser machines run for cover you'll stay afield. The Underwater is a general use treasure hunting machine and never before has such a lightweight and powerful detector been able to do so much. Hunt the morning inland for a hidden cache of old coins, then later the afternoon in shallow water for lost jewelry with the same machine! Look for coins, rings, larger gold nuggets and meteorites, historic artifacts worldwide and just about anywhere using an Underwater detector. Scuba into The Blue or even enter a competition hunt, the Underwater excels!
Amazingly the Underwater works as well in saltwater as on land or freshwater. I just do not know of any other lightweight single frequency machine that can do everything the Underwater can and as well. By no means is the Underwater a compromise detector lacking in performance. The Underwater simply excels within its scope of design, form and function! Simple to use the Underwater serves both the needs of beginners as well as those of Pro hunters and can be used by kids, the elderly and serious hobbyists alike. If I was limited to owning only one metal detector, I would choose the Underwater because it can just do so much! Furthermore the Underwater is a metal detector one can really get to know and become one with. Beware the treasure hunter with one detector as they probably know how to use it! The Underwater with its K.I.S.S. operation is one that tends to find the goodies for me. I find that when one hunts with a positive mental outlook, more is found and when I swing my Underwater in search of treasure, this machine inspires confidence. Such a joy to use and promotes better hunting by ear. In my mind the Underwater becomes an extension of your brain and a reason why I experience a sense of bonding with this detector. Sounds somewhat silly, huh? Yet the Underwater seems to set me free and onto the path of treasure. Call it a sort of dowsing perhaps? I guess I really love my Underwater!
But why? Well besides the unit’s lightweight, novel concept and versatility, the Underwater has several features I prefer in a detector. For instance take the coil. I like an 8 inch coil for general detecting and this coil size has served treasure hunters well for many years. Neither too big, nor too small, but just right. Plus the coil design of the Underwater is of the open design, so one can visually see the spot of detection for precise pinpointing. It's also a negative buoyancy coil so it won't float in and glides effortlessly through the water. No fighting to keep this coil on the bottom in the sea or lake and no coil cover is needed as the coil bottom has a rugged stippling for protection. This means no more prying off coil covers to remove trapped sand or soil. Even some serious thought went into the coils clevis rod design, which is flexible so as to better absorb coil bumping.
Next are the 3 simple controls. Volume, sensitivity and discrimination. If you want these can be set and forget to your preferences and ground conditions. Just set them and go hunt! Doing so one concentrates on the hunt and not on fiddling with a bevy of detector settings! The Underwater is a motion discriminator with automatic ground rejection. This means not having to constantly ground balance your machine for even more ability to concentrate on your hunt. With such simplicity the Underwater is very easy to learn and use anywhere and especially underwater where the simpler the better!
Moving right up to the headphones I can't stand headphones that pinch my ears. What a distraction that is! The headphones of the Underwater are well padded and fit comfortably over my ears resulting in no ear pain and even after hours of use. This well-fitting headset also does a great job at cutting out the external noises of nature and society, which can be rather distracting during the hunt. Then too the Underwater has plenty of response volume to better hear feint target responses, over regulator noise while diving, or wind/surf at the beach.
Back to the integral and powerful rechargeable cell phone type batteries built into the Underwater. I for one do not like having constantly to buy and replace detector batteries. These days such batteries have become expensive and when they do go flat, one tosses them into the trash, which is not good for the environment. I’m also not too fond of rechargeable detector batteries that only last some 6 to 8 hours per charge. One has to constantly be concerned with their state of charge, which could end up interrupting the hunt! With the Underwater the rechargeable batteries are rated for 40+ hours of use on a single charge. That's a conservative rating and they'll more likely last some 50+ hours and do not be surprised if they last 100 hours! With that kind of power one could partake in a week long Caribbean treasure hunt, detecting some 7 hours a day and not once having to think about the state of your batteries! But even to be on the safe side you could recharge them at will with no concerns of developing any memory. Simply fantastic and is a testament to the electronics efficiency of the powerful Underwater.
Besides providing very good detection depth, by powerful I also mean the Underwater tends to find treasure for me and is a fast responding machine. Even when the coil is scanned perhaps too fast, the Underwater still nails targets! In this regard the Underwater is a very forgiving detector and also does a fine job at target separation between good stuff and trash. Pinpointing is spot on too!
I think of the Underwater as a "sound machine" and prefer to mostly discriminate by ear. By this I mean using minimal discrimination and learn/decide to recover targets based on response quality. The Underwater has a very good clipped iron response, even at low discrimination settings. With the Underwater trash tends to break up and while not an exact science, with use and some practice the Underwater provides a good indication on what and what not to dig, depending on the targets desired. Speaking of sound... with the Underwater one can choose to hunt with no threshold and in a silent search mode, or as I prefer on the raspy cusp of detection depth/fringe, by setting sensitivity high for a resulting slight background threshold.
All in all the Underwater is a Treasure Hunters metal detector. The Underwater is vastly improved over previous waterproof Headhunter models and when I swing an Underwater I tend to find the goods. Such a machine contributes greatly in the anticipation and fun departments and while there are more specialized machines available, the Underwater is more than adequate and hits targets pretty deep. This at a retail price point less than half other top of the line detectors of similar performance! With a more simplified automatic operation I tend to use the Underwater more, cover more ground and put my coil over treasure more often. The Underwater is for serious detecting and a detector that I expect will pay for itself by treasures found and through the healthful nature of our great hobby. When one owns a DetectorPro Underwater one's ready to tackle most detecting and treasure hunting opportunities on land or sea. The Underwater is so easy to pack for Adventure Travel and everywhere you go to hunt, the Underwater will stretch necks and turn heads! I'm pretty picky about my machines and find the new DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater to pass with flying colors and see the Underwater as a must have detector for the treasure hunter. And yes, I’ve found both gold and silver jewelry using the Underwater! The Underwater has a 2 year warranty with a suggested MSRP of $799.
I love talking treasure. Feel free to contact me, cabochris@msn.com with any Underwater questions you may have.

Re: Headhunter UDERWATER Introduction
Posted by: Tony
Date: December 03, 2014 10:53PM
I was under the impression that single frequency VLF detectors struggled in the saltwater.

The Underwater runs at a similar frequency as the Fisher 1280 which has a poor record of performing in saltwater.
What makes the Detectorpro Underwater detector perform well in saltwater?

Any ideas?

Tony.

Posted by: TXPIRATE
Date: December 04, 2014 09:03AM
Great write up. I have owned the Wader and Diver in the past and liked them a lot. I was going to buy the underwater in Oct. But on 9/23 my wife suffered a reaction to some meds and had a full cardic arrest. The Fire dept. revived her but it lead to Some brain damage and having to learn to rewalk. So for now my day is full of Full Time job and Taking care of her when I get home so No treasure Hunting for awhile but am saving for And Underwater Maybe by the Summer. Keep up the reports of you finds.

Date: December 04, 2014 02:00PM
Tony funny you should ask! I've been wondering myself and just asked my distributor if he knew? Not only did the Underwater work very smoothly at near max sensitivity in the salt and on a Caribbean Island with black sand in the mix, but the UW hits hard on small 18K gold rings! I believe the UW is a 1280 on steroids and have been told there has been an improvement in the UW coil. But if I get better answers I'll post them here for sure.

Date: December 04, 2014 02:03PM
TXPIRATE, so sorry to hear about your wife and may she have a speedy and healthful recovery! You obviously have your priorities in order!

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: December 04, 2014 09:59PM
Thats basically what you have is a 1280 circuit board with maxed out potts. At 2.4khz it'll handle the salt water very well. Not like the higher khz units that are say 6.5khz and up. they will see more mineralization and do much more chattering which means cutting back your sensitivity and if you have a ground ballance Ballanceing more often to get a semi decent hunt in the salt water.

At 2.4khz the unit will see larger items at a decent depth unlike the higher khz units that will find the really small items and be more sensitive to them at less depth. A dual frequency unit or pi unit are usually the pick of choice for water hunting but the Detectorpro , and 1280 and also the cobra beach magnet can handle the mineralizaion alot better then most vlf units.

Some require a little tweaking but they do work well.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: December 05, 2014 04:11AM
Great write up Chris...thanks for the explanation there too Sam...I remember when you tore down and tweaked that Cobra this past summer, that was a very interesting read as well...I'm learning some stuff here...Sorry to hear about your Wife TXPIRATE...hang in there buddy...
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Posted by: Maui Mike
Date: January 15, 2015 12:17AM
I wish to thank you all for taking the time to write these posts. After concideration it is now obvious to me that this will be the next unit to join our legion of detectors.

We use ;
All of them...all brands...all the underwater models.

Posted by: Sand dog
Date: January 15, 2015 09:49PM
Sounds good to me. Looks like I'll be adding one to my list of detectors I need to get. Been working as much overtime as I can to add afew detectors to the arsenal. Can't detect right now as the ground is frozen solid here. Good luck everyone.

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: January 17, 2015 07:39AM
Wont be long Sand Dog. I'm counting down the days as well. In the mean time .its a good time to clean up the units and give them a good check up and make sure everything is in working condition. LOL:detecting:

Posted by: Maui Mike
Date: February 23, 2015 09:56PM
Got mine today! Charging now. Maiden voyage tomorrow. I do know already though that I will get the DD coil when it becomes available.
HH Mikey.

We use ;
All of them...all brands...all the underwater models.

Posted by: El
Date: February 26, 2015 07:45AM
How did your maiden voyage go?

El

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login