Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Why the DP UNDERWATER works so well in Saltwater
Posted by: seahunter34
Date: December 05, 2014 02:20PM
On my recent Caribbean treasure hunting vacation I had the opportunity to try the new DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater metal detector and was very impressed! Gary got the Underwater right and I found gold, silver and Euro coins in the sea! It was only later that I started thinking about the performance of the UW in saltwater. During my testing it had performed flawlessly and as smooth as my Excalibur in the sea! This at a near maximum sensitivity setting of 9+! Now that I ponder this some, I do not recall having tried any other waterproof VLF machine that ran this smooth- Excalibur smooth in the salt.

I'm one not to knock other detector brands, because many do have their strengths... but on this trip I also tested a CZ21 and without getting into any arguments, found the 21 did not even approach the performance of the UW in the sea. To tell the truth I expected the 21 to blow the UW right out of the water, but this was not the case- it was the opposite! I like Fisher machines but was told something changed with the 21 and I was barely able to set sensitivity at 4. Even at 4 and experimenting with GB the 21 falsed in the sea and simply didn't detect as well/deep as the UW. All I scooped with the 21 were a few shallow Euro coins. I suppose I could just have searched in the Autotune mode, but then why not just use a PI... and when I've used PIs in the Caribbean I mostly found less gold.

In the Caribbean efficient machines find the most for me in the least time. The UW is easy and efficient in the sea, which means one spends more time covering ground for treasure, than fiddling with your machine. But I kept wondering why and even received a few PMs here asking the same. On paper the UW shouldn't perform so well in salt- but it does. This despite running on the 2.4 kHz voice frequency range and being a single frequency non-ground balancing machine! First off how can a detector with these specs work so well in saltwater? Then too- why is the UW so sensitive to gold with such a low frequency? The UW seems to defy detector logic.

One thing I've noticed over the years here on this forum is, that there has been a disproportionate number of gold finds photos. That indicates even with the 2.4 frequency DP products like and find gold. Those more in the know please correct me and while I do not know the full story, the UW has the electronics of the 1280X. While the 1280 is a great machine, reviews report the 1280 is noisy in the sea and prefers silver range targets. Don't get me wrong as I've always liked the 1280X, but was told by my UW distributor who is closely related with DP, that the 1280 electronics in the UW have been improved. I was also told that the coil on the UW has also been improved.

I read years ago about the 1280 that somehow the machine automatically compensated for saltwater/salinity. My DP distributor said that the improved software of the UW balances out the saltwater effects while still penetrating even better than the 1280! He also said the vastly improved coil design is a reason why the UW likes gold. He further reports something very surprising. He dives for treasure and was using a CTX when he "eyeballed" a small gold bracelet on the bottom. The CTX would not respond to it, but later discovered that the UW does! He said this was a real shocker! Plus in the Caribbean we found the UW to be very responsive to small pieces of gold jewelry.

At this point this is the best I've come up with as to why the UW likes gold and works well in the salt! It's also simple to use in the sea with nothing to GB. As such one spends more time hunting and any machine that works this well at half the price of an Excal deserves further testing/evaluation.

Re: Why the DP UNDERWATER works so well in Saltwater
Posted by: finnfoto
Date: December 05, 2014 08:43PM
Alot of it is really do to KHZ. the CTX runs at a much higher khz then the 2.4khz unit of the UW. CTX would and should be extremely sensitive to smaller gold however depth would be the issue compared to the 2.4khz unit finding gold rings at a semi decent depth. For a vlf and lower frequency the mineralization would rarely be a problem and if at all a simple adjustment of the sensitivity would usually fix that.

The 1280, Cobra Beach Magnet, Barska gold digger and the detector pro units all run on the 2.4khz and are all based around the same circuitry . I've taken a cobra beach magnet and made a few simple tweaks to the potts and ran better then my friends stock 1280x. and that was with a 10'' coil. I later swapped out that coil over to a head hunter pirate pro and did the same adjustments to the HH unit and ran it like a champ.

I really do enjoy the Detector pro units They are alot of fun and can be tweaked to get a little more depth out of them but for being onlky 2.4khz you can only do so much with them.

They can and will find the goods.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: December 07, 2014 11:17AM
Help a brother out here...I guess I always thought the higher the KHZ, the more sensitive a rig was on GOLD?

This UW has me interested, for a lot of reasons, mainly the batt life, depth capability, and swing weight....but I'm not understanding why its such a gold pounder at the lower KHZ?...has anyone done any vids on 2gr rings (and chains) on up and what depth a guy could expect...even if its air tests...I'd like to see a comparison of it and the stock Pro swept over various targets....:shrug:...y'all know if I get one, I expect to use it hard, fast and continuously...will be a frequent poster of massive gold finds..:rofl:..I sure like the minimalist aspects of this tool, but want to be sure before fully committing and wrapping a hunting year up into it..:shrug:.
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 11:21AM by mudpuppy.

Posted by: Sven
Date: December 07, 2014 12:21PM
As much as I like and used the two Divers and Wader, 1280's over the years.
Haven't found them to be killers on small gold chains and thin gold rings in detection or depth.
They worked well on larger gold, better on silver coins and silver rings and jewelry.
The Tesoro Tigershark in that respect outpaced the DP's in the gold department in gold size and depth.
But, the DP was plenty quieter amongst tiny foil trash and handled mineralized grounds better.

Now an UW water improvement would be a louder audio target response to weaker signals and possibly slowing the
swing speed down with the amount of motion needed to give a target response. Has this been done?

As for the concentric coil being improved? Can it be used on earlier Waders, if so how then was it improved?
Would not a DD coil help if made?

If the UW was much improved over the Wader/Divers to match or beat the Tesoro TS in gold size and gold depth,
I would be more inclined to buy the UW. The Tigershark audio can be annoying in small aluminum, iron trash areas.

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Date: December 07, 2014 06:37PM
I just traded a Stingray2 for a landpro. being that I am the tinkerer. I saw a few coils for the 1280 That I had no idea were made for the 1280. May be inclined to give this a try.

I know my last venture I used a 10'' coil from the beach magnet onto the pirate pro with great results.

Posted by: EZ2Find
Date: February 07, 2015 10:31AM
I wonder how the UW would fare on higher mineralized sand beaches than those in FL or east coast, particularly the west coast US?. The Minelabs cut right through it, can the same be said for the UW?

Date: February 07, 2015 06:31PM
Watch the new video of the under water with the Nel coil . It shows up the excal and the cz-21 in both depth and sensitivity. Amazing.

Posted by: nmarsh
Date: February 18, 2015 08:55AM
Can you tell me where I can watch this video you encourage people to watch. thanks,Norm Marsh

Norm...look a few posts down
Posted by: therover
Date: February 18, 2015 10:26AM
I had posted links to the videos in the thread titled UW with 12 inch DD

Date: February 21, 2015 07:46AM
Would be nice if MR. seahunter34 would respond since he started this post. I've also sent the man an email to see how to get a bunch of people lined up for one of these famous carribean hunts. No reply.? Hmmmm.

Posted by: Sven
Date: February 23, 2015 08:48AM
Folks come and go and put on a good show.
Maybe a jelly fish got him, found too much gold, now in hiding........................

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Date: February 24, 2015 03:16PM
That or it's someone from the DP. co. ?

Posted by: Schapery123
Date: October 03, 2016 06:59AM
Can you email me the way you tweeted the detector pro metal detector so, I can adjust mine. Thanks schapes1@yahoo.com

Posted by: JAN1
Date: December 17, 2016 05:00AM
I don't use an UW Machine as they are not available in the UK but I use a Wader with 8in and a spare machine with the 10in coil which I managed to get in an auction for a good price.
As far as I know they also work at 2.4kHZ. I have done very well with both machines using the smaller coil in rocky areas and have had little problem with either over the last 6-7 years.
The main reason for buying the Wader was weight and it being waterproof, I am amazed at the coils on both machines as they both get clobbered onto rocks all the time and show little damage.
I may have found over 400kg of fishing weights and quite a few Gold and most other types of metal rings.
The best day was these two 9kt Gold rings in a 6 hour period which weigh 17gm between them.
So they have no problem finding Gold.

Posted by: sonnar28
Date: December 19, 2016 05:31PM
Those are beautiful rings!

Thanks for the info.

HH

Charles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login