Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Pistol Probe
Posted by: daddyflea
Date: December 29, 2014 07:18PM
I understand this is the Deepest Probe and this does have me a little worried. It would be great to locate the target before digging but what happens if it turns up in dug dirt. How easy is the target to find without the slow beep similiar to the Garrett. Is there a way to tell if you are close or 4" off?

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Garrett Pro pointer (Carrot Stick)
DetectorPro Rattler Headphones
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Predator Tools 31c digger
Lesche digger
Lesche Heavyweight Mini Pick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 07:19PM by daddyflea.

Re: Pistol Probe
Posted by: tvr
Date: December 29, 2014 09:58PM
Pistol Probe is deeper than the pro pointer. I like it for that. Not hard to find most targets with it. Move it around the target area near then away from target and you quickly get a sense of where the target is. I don't like the feel of the switches.

For me it is hard to get the Pistol Probe sensitivity setting set where I want it. It is fine for larger than little slivers of targets. When I'm hunting with the Tesoro's or the F75, I can find little slivers of metal that hide in a pinch of dirt and I can't find them with the Pistol Probe; it does not sound on them. If I set sensitivity to find the little slivers in the dirt in my hand, it sounds on a little iron content in the dirt. If I set it to not sound on the dirt, it doesn't find the very small slivers that the detector finds. If I'm hunting with one of my CZ's that is not a problem, the CZ's don't find the tiny little slivers of metal.

I can live with the switch feel, but it is hard to live with a pin pointer that has trouble finding very small targets that the big detector found. I've only experienced that once with the Pro Pointer. I found a foil coated sequin with the F75 that was about 1/8 inch diameter; F75 found it, Pro Pointer did not see it. I had to grab a hand full of dirt and divide it in half and scan that over the F75 coil, then keep dividing it until the sequin was located.

Pistol Probe deep? Yes! The probe I like to grab most often to go hunting with? No.
Cheers,
tvr

Date: December 30, 2014 08:25AM
Call me stupid but I still don't understand how you find a target if there is no slow beep or nothing to tell you that you are getting close. I understand the smal slivers myself. I have a V3i and sometimes it is tough finding those small earing backs and such.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Date: December 30, 2014 08:13PM
Showing is easier than explaining. Let me try an analogy to the main detector. When you raise to coil of a detector, the area the target is detected in shrinks, keep raising the coil and you stop detecting the target. When you are just on the edge of detection, you get a pretty good idea of where the center of the coil is and a pretty good pinpoint spot. Similarly, with the probe, as it gets further away, you get a similar sense of how far you are from the target. Moving side to side over the target you get a sense of where the target is centered. The probe's field of detection is just on a smaller scale than the full size detector coil. Not hard to find the target with the Pistol Probe, except the really small slivers that aren't detected, smaller than earring backs, more like a broken off earring post.
Cheers,
tvr

Date: January 01, 2015 06:05PM
Wish I could have tried this. I did not know this was a motion detector. Forlack of info I bought a Whites TRX

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Date: January 01, 2015 08:30PM
Pistol Probe does not need motion. For me using some motion helps give me more information on things like which side of the hole the target is in and how deep it is.
Cheers,
tvr

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: January 04, 2015 10:25AM
I never ran the pistol probe. Have had a good bit of luck with the THD Garrett pro type pointer.

Will be giving the Landpro a go this year with the inline probe and see how that works out. :thumbup:

Date: January 05, 2015 08:41PM
Well I have a Pistol Probe on the way. I also have a TRX on the way. Have to see which one I like.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Posted by: crazyjz
Date: March 09, 2015 02:33PM
I realize this post is a little late considering the majority of the comments were made months ago. I just found it and decided to make a comment for those doing searches on the Pistol Probe in the future. It is still one of the top probes on the market. Here is my experience with it.

I've had mine now for two years. It is my third probe, after having lost or ruined my first two. I really like mine! Yes it is a bit long, but mine fits perfectly in the provided holster and it does NOT hang out one way or the other, it is quite comfortable to carry on my belt along with my pouch and digger.

Mine is still operating on it's original two batteries and still working perfectly. I have never had a problem with mine detecting small bits of any type of metal. I can only assume those who have Pistol Probes with that type of performance problem either got a faulty machine or the settings are wrong.

I consistently have detecting buddies who lose targets in the hole call me over to find it using my Pistol Probe. It is especially useful when digging deep targets. It totally eliminates the need to pick your detector back up and run it over the hole to see where the target is. That is why I bought mine and in my opinion that is where it really shines.

I like mine and I now have a tether on it. It's a bit expensive but if I lost mine, I would have to buy another. Good luck and happy hunting!

Date: March 09, 2015 02:45PM
Thanks I bought mine and promptly sold it. No matter how good it is, it is useless if you can not hear it. I could barely hear mine in the best of conditions. I can hear a Pro Pointer under most all conditions but not the Pistol Probe. The new Whites is not as loud as it needs to be either. I now have a Sunray with a Sunray backup. Problem solved.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Posted by: quicksilver611
Date: March 15, 2015 09:36AM
I got the pistol pro and the same problem. So I put in a vibrate from a old cell phone my email is dougmckay55@gmail.com if you to know how I did it

Date: March 15, 2015 09:38AM
Thanks but I sold it.

Minelab Etrac
Mars Pinpointer
Coiltek 10X5 & 12X8 Coil
Sun Ray X-8 & X-12
Detech 6" Coil
Etrac Stock 11" Coil
Lesche digger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login