Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
DetectorPro Underwater question:
Posted by: FrankMD
Date: February 12, 2015 06:45AM
Has anyone used/tried the Underwater for Civil War relics? One reason I ask is because I remember a hunt I went on with a friend where we were hunting CW relics in Virginia and he has a Fisher 1260X and did very well! After seeing that video of the UW with the NEL coil and how sensitive is to small gold chains, I’d think it would do well for CW brass and lead targets. Also I’d think being at 2.4 kHz it would penetrate bad ground pretty well. If I get one I’d like to use it for its primary intended purpose but also for CW relics. Anyone tried it this way?

Re: DetectorPro Underwater question:
Posted by: therover
Date: February 12, 2015 08:14AM
Frank,

I have a production model UW ( with the 8 inch concentric coil). In my testing and hunting on salt water beaches, I have found it more prone to find higher conductive targets ( silver and copper) than it is finding the lower conductors. I have found nickels ( no gold yet) and pull tabs but not at depths similar to silver dimes/quarters and clad. This is running with discrimination in the 1-2 range...it may get better depth on the lower conductors at 0 discrimination setting, but I hunt where there is a lot of iron so I can't run it that low. Plus, there is a lot of aluminium junk and foil among the silver and clad coins, and running the UW to eliminate some of the small foil and junk helps me concentrate on finding the older coins...which at this point is my primary goal on certain beaches I hunt. Gold on some of these beaches is either 8 feet down or in the water 500 yards out in 30 feet of water !! HA !

Stating that, I am not sure how the 12 inch DD NEL ( on the prototype at this point) would do but I would think that model would be much better for CW relics than the current production model.

If/when a new UW comes out with a 12 inch DD NEL, I will be on it !

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: February 12, 2015 08:15AM
Frank I think you'd make a good choice with the UW and the Nel coil combination. I am waiting to see if the coils could possibly be purchased seperately thru DP when they arrive. if So I will be modding a few DP units of my own for sure. As well as Illiminateing a few units also.

Looks like not only will the UW be able to have good depth and sensitivity in mineralized conditions but I think you may find this unit is going to be making waves both in and out of the water.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: February 12, 2015 08:32AM
Yeah..that vid on the small gold chain and deep rings got my interest.:drool:..especially running against 2 top shelf rigs...the DetectorPro Udub overall concept is a sound and smart one, (putting the brains in the phones, +rechargeable) that has not yet been fully recognized as genius..

Thinking about your post Frank, regarding CW relics and the like, I suppose if a fellow worked that field with a conventional rig, and then went over it with the single tone Udub would be the way to go...you know, do a quick sweep with a multitone rig to get the flavor of the place and evaluate the possibilities, and if correct, give it a sweep with the Udub..?

I sure hope the genius behind the Udub circuitry is evaluating the possibility of a multitone unit in the future, full scale tones, like Fishers Delta Pitch...even if it was just a matter of buying a set of upgraded 'DP multitone phones' as an option, and doing the swap out yourself!....it would sure come in handy, (to me) and would become the only rig a guy would ever need, a true 'dream machine'...just about anywhere on the Planet!

Just thinking about it...I'd sell both my other rigs and go full DetectorPro!...I gotta get my hands on one of these Udub w/12"dd to at least try it out!:drool:
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 08:35AM by mudpuppy.

Posted by: Cos
Date: February 12, 2015 08:48AM
I think many of you are going to be disappointed with the larger, 12 inch coil on the DP Underwater unit. Keep in mind there is nothing on the Underwater shaft(s) to counterbalance that extra bulk and weight. I just sold my BeachHunter 300 with the 12 inch coil because it was too bulky and heavy for me to swing on the beach and in the wet sand. Personally, I think these larger coils are way overrated when it comes to depth and ground coverage. Just one opinion, nothing more.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: February 12, 2015 10:37AM
Thats a valid point Cos.:thumbup:..Good on ya for bringing this up!..:clapping:..

Even now, after all these years of nearly daily use, It takes me @15 min when I first get on site to settle down and not over force a big coil and wear myself out...get a nice steady stride and swing going....I guess it comes down to an overall strategy and hunting preference as the situation dictates...for me, on the dry, I have to cover a 12' swath 3 miles in one direction, and back as fast as I can before sunup, hunting fresh drops from the day before in the primary towel zone....so I have covered a 24' swath of primo sand as fast as possible....then, I may smoke jump a few smaller beaches and then get out into the water, and try to cover as much prime realestate as possible in the shortest time...so I use a 'herringbone' sweep, 'push and pull' type of deal...anyway, a fast light rig is what I need, with as much coverage as I can get within reason, with a long battery life...its really gotta be light, fast, balanced and comfortable to do this day after day in season...I've been making due with what I got, an F70 and AtPro...but after all these sand miles, a fellow starts to think about what a 'dream rig' would look like, and as near as I can tell, its gotta be some sort of amalgamation between the two, the Udub appears to fit the bill, except for the single tones...I really hate beach season!, its such a monumental effort to sweep and walk nearly 10 miles of sand everyday before sunup before work? But whats a guy to do? All this sand aint gonna sweep itself, and Gold Fever is a cruel mistress!:rofl:
Mud.

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Posted by: pasttom
Date: February 12, 2015 12:35PM
Yeah, Mud, but she has a great smile! :detecting:

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Posted by: FrankMD
Date: February 13, 2015 05:44AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

HH

Frank

Posted by: Sven
Date: February 13, 2015 07:46PM
The Wader handled Georgia's red clay soil decently with the 8" coil. Most detectors lost depth in that soil. The Wader still managed a dime at 6-8".

Something to think about if trying to use the UW for Civil War relic hunting with the large coil. If the coil was made for water hunting, it is going to be weighing a lot more so it will not float in salt water.
If used on land, unless your young, eat your wheaties and spinach, your arm and shoulder might give out before you get started.

A picture just came to mind. Imagine a bowler who just whipped the ball down the lane and his thumb got stuck in the ball. The weight pulled him along.....:surprised:
Picture a treasure hunter swinging a heavy coil on land with his forearm strapped in place and on one swing his bad shoulder gave out on the end of a swing....................:stars:
Sometimes I picture weird things like this............

The heavier coils enable the user to glide the coil along against the waters resistance.......................

This post is not directed to Rover, my post just happened to fall under his.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 07:47PM by Sven.

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: February 14, 2015 07:49AM
May be a good unit to consider a straight shaft and a swingy thingy bungee support. LOL

Either way I'm sure we will figure it out . Gotta love new idea's . keeps things real and in perspective and also makes it fun to branch out and push the limits of what else can be done. I am still blown away by the video I must say. Very impressive.

What confuses me tho is why this was never done in yeas past with the 1280x . ? A simple coil change to a D,D, and POW . I guess better late then never and its good to see A fun unit with some ummmffffff comming into play with the new Coil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login