Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Headhunter UW review
Posted by: Maui Mike
Date: February 26, 2015 03:34PM
Aloha.... Just wanted to tell you that my first trial with my new UW was great.
I rigged it in dive short shaft configuration. The pieces went together easily and seem solid with firmness and no wiggles. I charged it for the six hours to begin with as instructions suggested. The connections look solid and well placed. Construction of the headphones also solid and well built. The coil looks bullet proof even without a coil cover. Finally a good length of cable from coil to the headphones.
During the dive the shaft and coil were very easy to manipulate while swinging. The arm cuff is comfortable with a good Velcro wide strap to keep arm in place.
I do know that I will make my own custom straight shaft for it for diving and standing though. The ones I make are better for the wrist etc.
The headphones I had a bit of trouble with as they moved around a bit too much on my head sliding backwards often , especially when bubbles exhaled occasionally rose on the ear cups. This I have found out is because I normally wear a dive hood. The second dive I did not wear the hood and any movement issues of the ear cups ended.
After the first hour i began to learn the tone suttle differences as it spoke to me.
I choose on this first try to use only minimal "1" setting for discrimination. I figure as I learn the unit more I will increase the use of that function. The unit was able to tell me targets even under the rocks below the sand... Impressed. The deepest target so far has been about 7-8 inches below the coil. During this shallow water dive, not deeper than 7ft during entire dive, with a duration of approx 2.5 hours I was able to target and retrieve many coins
all "clad " , several beer caps , a fork knife and spoon , some fishing lead , a plumbing fixture ,
a few pieces of copper wire , 2 sliver rings and 2 gold rings...1 10K, the other 18K.
Setting the volume to its highest is what I did for diving. The sensitivity around @ 4-5 ...that's where the chatter stopped. Discrimination @ 1.
It is a pleasure to hunt with a unit that is not constantly buzzing in the ears as the PI units do.
When receiving a signal you sweep back again and see if it is a repeatable signal. It also seems that when it does detect the target that the tone gets a bit crisper after a few sweeps back and forth on it. A big surprise is that so far I have NOT had any issues with hot rocks making noise....awesome !
I have yet to increase the discrimination values , but I will and let you know what it does..
Being mostly a " dig it all " Hunter anyway ;)
During a second dive similar items were found and another 18k golden O.
All in all happy with the product. I would buy another one with no reservations.
Can't wait to see UW using the double D 12 inch coil in action.
Hope it won't be long till it is available. Gary says in the spring.
I just might not wait and buy another even with the 8 inch coil.
Happy Hunting , Mikey

We use ;
All of them...all brands...all the underwater models.

Re: Headhunter UW review
Posted by: finnfoto
Date: February 26, 2015 04:12PM
Great review Mikey, Surprised a bit that you werent run ning a higher sensitivity I guess you were in some really mineralized soil with nasty salt conditions. Still down to 4-5 to stop chattering.

I'm still in the unsure yet mode. lol Will see.

Posted by: Maui Mike
Date: February 27, 2015 04:20AM
The place I dove had a lot of chunky black sand mixed in.

We use ;
All of them...all brands...all the underwater models.

Posted by: Dertnc
Date: February 28, 2015 08:39AM
If you raise the disc (about 3)a little you should get rid of iron and you should be able to raise the sensitivity .(about 7-8) That being said I haven't had the opportunity to use mine in Hawaii ;-) , but I did have the opportunity to use mine in Puerto Rico and I found three silver rings, one tungsten and one Platium. I love mine and can't wait to get the new 12" coil .

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: March 03, 2015 10:36AM
Question, so the new Headhunter UW does not come hardwired?

Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5
CTX 3030
Silver uMax- 8" Donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: March 03, 2015 12:48PM
Disregard last post I found the answer

Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5
CTX 3030
Silver uMax- 8" Donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login