Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
DP-UW-12" Initial impressions and air tests
Posted by: nagov
Date: May 04, 2015 03:11PM
Well my DP-UW-12, is here, put together and charging​. Here are my first impressions of the build....

Interesting concept on the lower shaft for the UW. As you can see, the lower shaft is very short, this is for connecting directly to the upper S shaft for diving purposes. Questionable as to whether the aluminum shaft being that close to the coil will have any effect....

The total shaft is three pieces held together with spring buttons and you have some wobble to it because of that.... If I end up liking the performance of this one, it will go on a straight shaft for normal hunting and if I ever do dive, I'll have the S shaft for connection. The NEL coil takes a wider lower shaft than the Minelabs and Whites BUT I could easily use some nylon washers to take up the extra space and then can use a straight shaft I have here laying around waiting on another other project.....

Another interesting design/concept is the forearm strap on the arm cuff.... double Velcro on both ends and the middle is elastic and wide. At first I didn't think I'd like it but it seems quite comfortable.....we will see how it holds up to hunting conditions in the water.

Headset is heavy as expected BUT it shouldn't be to much weight on the head, that NEL coil is light for its size, can't wait to see how it moves through the water!

Build on the headset looks real good and along with being heavy, they don't seem cheaply made.....I really think as long as you don't drop them on concrete they should last a long time. You have to take off a connector to hook up the charger and since the battery stays in the headset, you end up having the whole shooting match near an outlet to charge. Light on the charger is a plus to know when it is done charging. Apparently mine was previously charged since it took less than an hour to turn green.

​Preliminary air tests (for what they are worth) gave me some interesting results.... I have to add right up front that I was lazy and did not get away from all the aluminum in the house. I went outside but was still in close proximity to hundreds of pounds of aluminum and steel rebar.... so I'm not holding to much credence in my results. Turned the unit on and turned sensitivity up to just starting to false then backed off some. Volume full on and zero Disc. First off was my rope chain I bought and have yet to find a detector that will hit on it..... the UW-12 did not hit on it either. 9 gram 14k with small clasp. Tested some small gold, platinum and silver rings....picked on small stuff on purpose. 2 gram Plat could be heard easily at 3", 3 gram 14k roughly 4" and a small silver ring hits at 6-7" (this machine seems to like silver!) Coins seemed on par with other detectors I've air tested, all seemed to hit in the 7-10" range dependent on size, tested penny through half dollar coins.

Hunting with it tomorrow to check it out and will let everyone know those results too. ​Curious to see how the machine handles the salt water and will have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison to a CZ-21 on targets.

Cliff

Walk near it, swing over it and understand what the machine is telling you....

Re: DP-UW-12" Initial impressions and air tests
Posted by: Miser67
Date: May 04, 2015 03:45PM
Let us know your findings. It would be interesting to hear how you do.

As always, any post I make here is solely my opinion based on my own experience and knowledge. Feel free to disagree.

Posted by: Sand dog
Date: May 04, 2015 04:40PM
Thanks for the report. What's the price of this machine?

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: May 04, 2015 05:16PM
Sweet! Cant wait to hear what you think on the sand!

Try that chain out there if you could please...see if it works like that one video we all got excited about...see how it works when you run it over a multidenom coin spill, or some junk masking type targets too if you could....see if you can pick a good target out of the junk with that big coil half way decently...see how fast you can whip it over a coin in the sand and hear the chirp!.....wring it out for us Nagov!:please::thumbup:
Oh, of course, the price and anything you may know about delivery time or backlog? oh, one more thing...is there a car charger available yet do you know?
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 05:17PM by mudpuppy.

Date: May 04, 2015 05:44PM
Ok here is what I know.,,,, shipping was real quick, if it wasn't for the brown truck taking weekends off, I'd have had it in 3 days from order. Price well, retail is just under $1000, I'll let you take it from there.

As for telling good targets from bad, well, that may be a problem with a single tone machine BUT IF you do have iron disc'd out or almost all the way, then maybe you will only dig non ferrous good and trash targets. That is my biggest concern with using a single tone machine.....Lets face it, it is built for underwater where shouldn't be trash like up in the dry sand....basically, it is a dig it all machine but even what I've found using the CTX almost exclusively for a year and a half...... gold is anywhere on the scale.....I dig a lot of foil and small pieces of can slaw but I'm always happy when that foil signal is yellow!

I'll take my chain with me but I'm not holding out hope for it seeing that chain, it is the design of the chain, it is invisable..... I'll let everyone know.

Cliff

Edit.... one more thing, my 12" coil measures 13" in diameter.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 05:56PM by nagov.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: May 04, 2015 07:54PM
I keep forgetting about that single tone! :rage:

I sure hope a guy can sort of tell by the 'size' of the sound though..or if a guy taps the coil on top of the target if it will skew trash one way or the other.?..I hear you about those little 2gr 10ks and all that....man, I sure wish this rig had at least 3 tones...tough decision for the money all on account of the tone issue for me...I got spoiled and have hunted so much so fast with multitone rigs..even being able to tell large iron on the beach (knives and SS watches) is important to me, but I dont like just digging blindly, I would like to know sort of what the target may be you know? Perhaps it is intended and shines in underwater work, but a damned old CZ21 or ML would do that with tones! Up here diving raft sites, bridge jump offs, party spots, etc. The bottom is a carpet of trash and the multi tones would come in very handy as they do on the AtPro....Looking forward to your experience with your new rig, and thank you for sharing with us!:beers: It has a lot of features a guy has to appreciate and weigh!
Mud

Nasty words, and suggestive post.

Posted by: Sven
Date: May 04, 2015 08:35PM
From your first impression and air tests. The UW does not seem to have much more performance than the older Wader.
Please give your honest reports, no hype. We already know there is too much hype and BS on the forums to keep the resale value up
when trying to sell off a machine.

Just out of curiosity, heard all DP units less the NEL coil are now made and assembled in China. All headphones as well. Any indications on the box or unit itself....?
Not saying China makes junk, they produce some really good stuff, we all buy it.................cheaper to produce, bigger profits for the seller.............

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: icurabeachguy
Date: May 04, 2015 10:54PM
very interested in unbiased results also. my go-to VLF has been a CZ-21 8" for many years and I picked up a used Excal Blue with Sunray S-12 for coverage. I'm not that impressed with the depth and fragility of the Excal and the CZ gets tiresome to swing underwater when my hunts go over 5 hours....

Even though I don't get to hunt as often, I swing a waterproof Mirage PI that Sven built for me and that has been a nice little rig for my hunting style: lightweight, swappable coils & headphones, great depth/sensitivity, ability to adjust and fine-tune settings, and best of all I can hunt all day with it (8-10 hours). Only downside is not it's fault: still have to dig iron.

If the 12" UW can get decent/comparable depth to my benchmark CZ-21...that just may be my next VLF.

Posted by: JoeL0
Date: May 05, 2015 10:55AM
My testing on my 8" HH Underwater were pretty much the same as yours. You will find on depth and size of object, there is a sound difference, not tone difference, sound difference if you know what I mean. I think its a great machine, am liking it allot better than my Garrett Sea Hunter and that says allot. Good luck with it. Looking forward to hearing more about the larger coil.

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: May 05, 2015 05:16PM
I think I'll stay a sceptic for the time being. Unless I hear other wise. outside of the dry sand performance . Comparrison to the cz.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: May 05, 2015 08:00PM
So..... single tone then turnup disc. Kind of like you can do on a PI with the pulse delay. That one tone.... means its doesnt have to process a signal to give a tone. It should have faster recovery like hunting in PP with the Xcal. Interesting concept. But ..... its still a single freq machine. Knowing Cliff it will be an honest straight forward review.

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Date: May 06, 2015 06:47PM
That review I hope is as good as the youtube video with the great depth and sensitivity. i've found just with my own experimenting of a nock off. DP. and coil swap.

Some tweaking but performance wise it had much better depth and sensitivity with a Detech SEF 12X10'' D.D. Kinda wishing I woulda hung onto that but looks like my next modd will possibly be a Tornado coil to see how this performs.

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: May 18, 2015 02:10PM
I just bought a NIB 8" version that I can't wait to test. I'm good with single tone and digging everything above small bits of iron. I like the freedom of no heavy box to lug around or pack in the vehicle for a day trip to the favorite swimming hole.

Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5
CTX 3030
Silver uMax- 8" Donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 02:12PM by Fletch88.

Date: May 18, 2015 05:10PM
Fletch88
I just bought a NIB 8" version that I can't wait to test. I'm good with single tone and digging everything above small bits of iron. I like the freedom of no heavy box to lug around or pack in the vehicle for a day trip to the favorite swimming hole.

One big plus with either the 8 or 12 UW is the capability to take it apart and stuff it in a backpack easily if needed. Sure would have been nice to have it when I hiked into a fresh water lake back in Pa. to work over the swimming area. It was a pain carrying chest waders, scoop and detector a mile in from the road.

Date: May 18, 2015 08:04PM
I do a ton of PA. Lake hunting myself and can understand your pain there . Mineralization is killer . iron infested. Finds are good at times tho in the swimming area's. I've been toying with a PHYLE detectorpro nock off with a DP. 8'' coil and have been having real nice luck with it as of recently.

may slap on one of the 13'' tornado coils and see what the performance rates with the combo as far as depth and sensitivity after a little tweaking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login