Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
DP-UW-12" Dry Sand and Saltwater Hunt
Posted by: nagov
Date: May 05, 2015 12:58PM
Random thoughts/findings about the detector: (Trying to be unbiased and calling it like I see it.....others may experience different results)

(Mud, as far as I know, there isn't a car charger none in the box)

Settings used today: volume max, disc 0 - 2.5 as needed, Sensitivity 8 - 8.5 on the dry sand.... 7 in the water.

Coil is 13" in diameter (not 12") and is lighter then a 10" CZ coil.

You can feel some play in the shaft due to the three sections and only spring buttons holding it together.

Goes through the water easier than my CTX with 11" coil.

Never met a S shaft that I liked, will have to update to a straight shaft IF I keep the detector.

Arm cuff and elastic strap is nice, quite comfortable!

Using the disc on the dry sand helped eliminate most bottle caps. Actually really good for on the dry sand using the disc properly.

The machine let me know when it went into the saltwater. It settled out but I did have to lower the sensitivity slightly. IF you picked up the coil at the end of a swing, you would know by the sound.

IF you are on a ripple bottom, you will hear the changes in the bottom.... unless you lower the sensitivity even more.

Since deeper targets sound softer (not as loud), you will miss deeper targets IF you have the machine set where you can hear the varying bottom. Catch 22 situation, you can lower your sensitivity but may then miss the deeper targets due to the lower sensitivity setting.

The machine loves aluminum tent stakes!

IF you are physically able, you can swing the coil pretty fast and still get the targets.....I don't like hunting that way but I tried it to see.

Pinpointing with the 13" coil isn't fun in the water....reminds me of trying to pinpoint with the 17" coil on the CTX.....

Weight of the headset wasn't uncomfortable at all. Even wearing it for 4.5 hours wasn't a problem. I did have to move it once or twice since it was pinching my head a bit.

I'm sure after some time on the machine, adjusting the controls will be easier.... I had to take them off when adjusting to see what I was doing. Twice I thought I was adjusting the sensitivity but had my hand on the volume....thus having to take them off....

Deeper/smaller targets sound off with less volume then shallow/large targets.

After a side by side comparison to a CZ-21 (10" coil), the machine is almost as deep on the dry/wet sand but when in the water, it isn't as deep. I was much happier with the machine on the dry sand other then finding all of those tent stakes shown in the picture. I only dug two deep targets today and I feel strongly that was due to not properly pinpointing and having the target fall deeper in the hole....one on the dry and one in the water.

Overall, for a single frequency machine, it does a pretty good job in saltwater. I'm betting it would be a great Freshwater machine since you would be able to run a higher sensitivity in the fresh water. Really wished it would have been available when I lived up north. I'm holding out final judgment on the machine but IF I can't get better results in the saltwater, odds are it will be up for sale, I just don't want it to sit in storage not getting used.

Photo shows every target I dug and recovered today.... sure isn't much but conditions in the central gulf in Florida just isn't that good right now!

Cliff

Edit: I did take my 9+gram 14k rope chain with me to test..... the CZ could barely hear a waver when in Autotune and nothing in disc..... the UW-12 DID respond to the chain at about 1/2".... it was a very weak signal that I probably would have NOT heard in the water and may have walked right past on the dry sand. It did definitely hear it though......

Walk near it, swing over it and understand what the machine is telling you....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 01:08PM by nagov.

Re: DP-UW-12" Dry Sand and Saltwater Hunt
Posted by: finnfoto
Date: May 05, 2015 05:13PM
Like to see how this unit performs in a highly mineralized area with a lot of iron . Fresh water lake.

Posted by: icurabeachguy
Date: May 05, 2015 07:39PM
nagov
After a side by side comparison to a CZ-21 (10" coil), the machine is almost as deep on the dry/wet sand but when in the water, it isn't as deep.

Thanks nagov. that's all I needed to hear...performance compared to the CZ-21 IN the water.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: May 06, 2015 04:46AM
Since the Xcal was Garys..... looks like he developed a machine that functions like the Xcal in PP..... minus the ability to switch to tones in disc. That would explain why it runs as well as it does in salt water as a single freq. Sounds like PPing is a trick, but thats pretty normal neck deep out there with BIG coils. Id say a straight shaft is called for on about any water macine you dont dive with. I know an Electronics guru that lives South of me, he says most machines have an electronic halo of about 28". So the aluminum shaft may not sound off because it moves with the machine, but it may affect the eddy...... so switching out to CF may change how it runs in the water as well. If its not flexing and there is a little wabble you may get some unnoticible wear from the sand on those inner shafts. How sturdy are those ears on the coil Cliff..... since most hunters out there tend to lean on their detector when digging? As far as being made in China..... you might be surprised how many of the inner components for MOST of your favorite machines are made in China, Mexico, Maylaysia, France, Turkey or other countries. Give me a better mouse trap thats made well and tuned properly its all good to me. Excellent start Cliff...... maybe ill get some of your gold before you learn it or put it down.:cheers:

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Posted by: Sven
Date: May 06, 2015 05:34AM
Just kind of funny how one dealer bought a UW for a trip to go beach water hunting....then decided to leave it at home and take the Excalibur instead.....and is now selling the UW at a low price.
Again seeing this makes me wonder.............................I'd like to try one, right now not impressed enough to spend the money...............

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:37AM by Sven.

Date: May 06, 2015 02:40PM
Its called confidence...... it has to be earned. I might not of taken it if there were going to be other guys im hunting with, conditions werent going to be what i wanted on that beach, or i knew i was only going to get so much beach time. New machines can take some time to learn and produce......no one likes to have their butt handed to them by their hunting buddy.

Dew

Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Date: May 06, 2015 06:41PM
Wouldnt make you look bad Dew. it would only Make gary Storm look bad for pushing the NEW UNDEWATER as a spectacular unit a unit that out performs The Exal, the CZ-21

with it's 12'' coil and A unit that has killer sensitivity over both those units and better depth.

Wouldnt be anything you did now would it???

Date: May 07, 2015 03:41AM
From what im reading it doesnt out perform either machine here in Fl in the salt water. Conditions may be different where it was tested and the video was taken. So thats a 13" coil? Lot of coil to push in some places. Iwas had my hopes up....but if I remember right Gary did say it was a deep water machine.

Date: May 07, 2015 07:57AM
I think I'll give my modified a try in August in Fl. So dew if your down near Ft. Lauderdale . lets get together and do some comparisons if you have an underwater unit to use. I'll bring my Pyle with 12x10 Sef. I usually hunt Deerfield, Hollywood, pompano, boca beaches Some times I venture over to Delray as well.

Date: May 07, 2015 01:45PM
Do I have a water machine.....? Several and im out there up to my neck most days all year longggg. Sorry im on the other side of the island just South of Venice. Love to see and compare new machines.... would have been fun. Dont get me wrong im not knocking this machine. It an interesting machine. I was glad when Cliff took the plunge since we had been talking about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login