Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Detectorpro Underwater Price/Performance Good Choice?
Posted by: flysar
Date: May 13, 2015 09:33PM
I bought a new/demo Wader for $300 about a year ago and it seemed to work fine for my mineralized soil and freshwater hunting but I was always concerned about dropping the headphones in the water so I sold it.

For those who have had the Underwater for awhile have you been impressed with the performance and versatility (land, wading, snorkeling, diving) for the price point?

Not sure if I want to jump onboard now or wait for more time to pass to see if any bugs pop up.

Re: Detectorpro Underwater Price/Performance Good Choice?
Posted by: nagov
Date: May 14, 2015 03:10AM
Concept of controls and battery in the headset is great, I never noticed the weight on my head however, I had a heck of a time trying to adjust, kept grabbing the wrong control knob....time on the machine will solve that problem. The weight could possibly be a problem IF you had a bad neck.
Build quality of the headset and coil are great, really a nice unit. At first I thought there wouldn't be enough coil cable but the length proved to be plenty long enough. I was concerned using it as a wader on a long shaft, I'm 6'2" and the cable had plenty of extra length.
The new 12" coil (actually 13" diameter) goes through the water easily.
Unless diving, I would suggest a different shaft to get away from the shaft wobble due to the two sections with only spring button connections. Not having shaft locks create the wobble BUT you don't have to worry about the shaft locks freezing up due to lack of cleaning on the shaft pieces!
For beaches that don't have deep sand covering base layers (clay, shell, rock) this would be a good detector for use. For those deeply sanded in beaches, every inch of depth counts and I did not get the depth out of the UW-12 as the CZ-21 I was hunting next to.
I prefer a detector that has a threshold background tone, getting used to the silent detector was different for me, running it slightly hot where you can hear the machine, prevents you from (hearing) hitting softer sounding deep/small targets.
Easy and comfortable to use, if using the 8" machine, it would be quite a savings over a new "other brand" water detector.

Cliff

Walk near it, swing over it and understand what the machine is telling you....

Posted by: flysar
Date: May 14, 2015 08:09AM
I read on here where the CZ21 would still be the preference of most when it comes to the extra depth. I was planning to buy the 8" coil unit so I imagine depth would be less than the 12". Our freshwater swimming areas (lakes, rivers) are mostly rock with very little sand but can become silted in depending on flows. I like how lightweight the Detectorpro units are on the arms/shoulders. Would you say the UW headset assy weighs more than the Wader unit? I'm Detectorpro can give me the exact specs. AT Pro/Gold does not run stable in my soil but the Wader did so that is why I'm looking at this unit again.

Thank you for the reply.

Posted by: glasartisan
Date: May 14, 2015 09:30PM
Say Cliff, you can run the headhunter with threshold. If you want it hot turn up the threshold dial to 9-1/2 -10 which is the same as the gain knob, you will notice the detector is hotter than without the threshold. Steve

Posted by: nagov
Date: May 15, 2015 02:56AM
Tried that but you hear the variations of the bottom irregularities. The rippled sand on the bottom drove the machine crazy so I resorted to silent detecting..... you definitely know when you hit a target in range! I'll give it another go and see if adjusted to where you just start hearing a tone it can be more tolerable.

Cliff

Walk near it, swing over it and understand what the machine is telling you....

Posted by: icurabeachguy
Date: May 17, 2015 11:40PM
flysar
I read on here where the CZ21 would still be the preference of most when it comes to the extra depth.

yup, based on the early reviews the 12" UW doesn't seem to get the same depth as the CZ21. you can find a good condition used CZ21 for $700 - $800 (even less if you're patient) and that is a no-brainer for the performance. When you hunt for 6 or more hours underwater though...the CZ's weight starts to take a toll when swinging it underwater (of course all that goes away if you chest mount).

I reeeeeeally wanted the 12" UW to at least perform as well as a CZ, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. :detecting:

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: May 18, 2015 08:07PM
Video must be a Marketing strategy as far as performance goes of the cz-excal and underwater.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login