Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Wader vs the new underwater
Posted by: docaudio
Date: March 03, 2016 04:09PM
Has any one tested the old Wader against the new Underwater for Depth . I bought a new Underwater and the Wader I sold 2 years ago seemed it get 20 to 30% .better depth .Both had 8" coil. Anyone else with this result ? Or am I Nuts.

Re: Wader vs the new underwater
Posted by: flysar
Date: March 03, 2016 09:33PM
I noticed the same thing, mentioned it to Gary, and since the UW was under warranty I sent it in and he tweaked it a little but still wasn't as good as my Wader. I'm wondering if the coil is a crap shoot since the electronics were near identical. I really liked the Wader because it was lightweight and easy to transport but wasn't waterproof so I sold it but as soon as the UW was out I bought it with great expectations but I just sold my UW in favor of my Tiger Shark. I really wish it would have worked because I like the concept.

docaudio
Has any one tested the old Wader against the new Underwater for Depth . I bought a new Underwater and the Wader I sold 2 years ago seemed it get 20 to 30% .better depth .Both had 8" coil. Anyone else with this result ? Or am I Nuts.

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: March 04, 2016 06:05AM
So many mixed reviews . So why don't everyone toss these reviews over to Gary with some recommendations on improvements and what everyone would like to see improved. I have yet to try the 12inch Nel coil but from 2 guys I know in florida they swear by the performance is as good as the excal with just as good of depth . The 8inch coil I have tried and it was a little on the hot side as far as performance but it as nice for me a for underwater use and snorkeling

Posted by: glasartisan
Date: March 07, 2016 08:30PM
I had the underwater W/12 inch and did not like it. Got rid of it. The sensitivity and depth is no where near the original coils that DetectorPro used to use on their wader models, 8 and 10-1/2 inch. They were stopped being made. I guess those coils became to expensive to keep using or something else. I still have my original wader W/ 10 inch coil and it is ultra sensitive for that size coil on and will hunt circles around the new underwater 12 inch Nel coil. Bring back the original epoxy coils and have the choice of a 12 inch available.

Gl...do you think it also has to do with the NEL being a DD ?N/T
Posted by: therover
Date: March 09, 2016 11:41AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Gl...do you think it also has to do with the NEL being a DD ?
Posted by: Sven
Date: March 09, 2016 02:29PM
Could very well be, DD's are known to penetrate less than a similar sized concentric coil.
But the DD handles mineralized soils better, along with the low frequency of the UW, you would think it would handle
salt water conditions better than the older Wader. But, may only have as much depth as the older smaller concentric coils.
Might be another reason DP went with the larger coil. They probably had to change the circuitry to work with the DD coil,
don't know for sure but a concentric coil may no longer work on the DD U/W models. So its a give and take in order to get the Waders depth?

Deteknix Quest Pro, Teknetics Mark 1, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Re: Gl...do you think it also has to do with the NEL being a DD ?
Posted by: glasartisan
Date: March 09, 2016 05:29PM
Yes, I agree with all of what Sven said. The new underwater W/ the nel coil now has to be tuned for the DD coil and now perhaps the detector is somewhat desensitized. Concentrics are slightly deeper than the DDs in non mineralized ground. Now I use my wader in strictly fresh water which also could be the difference. Are concentric coils deeper in fresh water over DDs? Not sure. Steve

I have a UW with the small coil
Posted by: therover
Date: March 09, 2016 06:00PM
It was one of the first ones made, when I met Gary at Ron DeGhettos (Gold Diggers) shop and told him I wanted one after seeing the prototype. I bought a Wader back in the day from Mr. Bill when they first came out, and I can say my UW is just as deep and has that 'sparkly' type of sound when the sensitivity is in the 8-9 range. It has the same tone/sound as the Wader when hitting deep dimes. For some reason my old Wader (and my current UW with 8 inch coil) was a dime killer. I had read something awhile back, maybe authored by George Payne, that the 2.4 kHz frequency works best on dimes.

Maybe the newer models did have their frequency or internals tweaked a bit to accommodate the NEL coil. Nevertheless I like my UW with the 8 inch coil...I like the coil control, simplicity, lightweight and ease of use. Fun unit to hunt with.

Posted by: docaudio
Date: March 26, 2016 03:47PM
I just pick a HH Diver with a 8" coil . I will be able to do real AB TEST with the new Underwater . I am making a test field and will report back in the next week or so. I also plan to test my Excalibur with a 10" coil. I will keep you informed .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login