Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Finished the Pistol Probe project,
Posted by: Old California
Date: March 26, 2016 10:59PM
Finally, Squeezed in a few hours this afternoon to complete the Pistol Probe project.

Also want to take the time to thank Gary Storm of Detector Pro for creating the Pistol Probe, Thank you Gary the pistol probe is one powerful pi.

And Finnfoto for encouraging me to finish the neat gadget, thanks finnfoto!

Well, Here it is the Pistol Probe converted into a pi detector. Yet, Retains the probe usage with adding back the Probe portion.... Was trying to retain the Pistol Probe appearance yet be able to shorten it up a little, hacked off the original Probe portion and added a connector. Using a Uniprobe probe stem allowed the project to work, just remove the Probe and connect the 10" 15us pi coil for pi detection.

Was comparing this project with my HH Pi, both air tested the same and with the GrayGhost headset audio bangs out loud and clear. Only portion I hated was using an 1/8" headphone plug, had too no room for a regular size plug. None the less it may be the perfect solution, small yet effective allowing the GrayGhost headset to plug in.

Three ways to use this, mounted on the S-handle, or hip mount inside a pouch or auctally it's small enough to fasten to the outer headset band if one wants to wade deep in water.

Tomorrow, Sometime in the afternoon will hit a dry river bed. Should do well since both the Pistol Probe and HH Pi share the same 15us circuitry.

Could have chopped it up into a smaller version, but that would destroy the neat Pistol Probe appearance. This was important, Maintain the neat stock appearance.

I'll share tomorrows finds, thanks for taking a peek.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Re: Finished the Pistol Probe project,
Posted by: Ozleif
Date: March 27, 2016 12:55AM
A most interesting project, thank you for sharing of info and pictures. :cheers:

Posted by: pasttom
Date: March 27, 2016 03:51AM
You challenge me to play with mine! I have an old one I bought off the bay and got stung by a clown who played dumb and didn't notice the poor condition of the probe and the wiring fell apart. Its been in the parts bin a couple years. I got a steal of a deal on a virtually new one so I have something to copy that works. I'd like to make a subtle walking stick design with the parts. Maybe I can make some time to see what I can do!

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: March 27, 2016 04:41AM
Sweeet, combo there mate, that's very cool . Looking forward to seeing the results . I've got to keep looking around for one of those coils before a I go making one. I've got a 10" housing , wire, but just takes a little time making wraps, tapeing, then filling with glass resin and waiting on it to dry and harden. Lol gets a little hot. Lol have my eye out of socket for one. Lol

Posted by: docaudio
Date: March 27, 2016 08:35AM
Looks GREAT!

Posted by: TellYaWhut
Date: April 03, 2016 11:16PM
I wish the Pistol Probe came stock with a headphone jack....like the old Pocket Probe. The volume on the Pistol Probe was too low on my 43 year old ears

Date: April 08, 2016 08:42AM
Hello TellYaWhut,

Yes, A headphone jack would be nice. I added one but in a tough area with no room, the pistol probe is well built every available space for the components was taken.

The other day, damaged the stock speaker. Replaced it with one from a spare headset, auctally sounds louder. Had to mount the speaker on the outside with a portion of the speaker mounted inside the handle, was so tight with space the second speaker will not fit inside.

Made a cover for the speaker to help keep most dirt out, crud but effective.

You may already seen the volume selection, low and high. Try high settings in case you missed the low high volume settings, hope this helps.

All the best,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: April 08, 2016 04:22PM
Very cool mate.

Date: April 09, 2016 09:49PM
Hi Paul, Thanks for the tips. I had sold my Pistol Probe awhile back and then I missed it. I then purchased a used one, but it arrived broke in three pieces........ got a refund. I do favour the Pocket Probe little more because it was non-motion pinpoint and it did have a small headphone jack. As far as the Pistol Probe, wonder if one could eliminate the speaker all together and internally hardwire a short pigtail with small headphone connector....this would help with hearing and extend battery life. On a side note. I stopped using Duracell 9 volt batteries in the Pistol Probe because they were a hair longer than any other battery and as a result got the batteries stuck twice....also added little more pressure on the battery door once door screw was tightened. Talk to you later, Ken

Posted by: lytle78
Date: April 09, 2016 10:19PM
If somebody wants one for a project my perfect one can be yours for $90 shipped.

Rick Kempf

Date: April 10, 2016 09:15AM
Hello Ken,

Thanks for the Duracell battery information, I'll have to remember this was a couple of times batteries were stuck.

Yes, a headphone pigtail can be soldered in place. Great idea, and if possible try to mount a switch selecting the speaker again in case you don't have a headset with you.

Great idea, yes a pigtail will work. The speaker I added on the outside is loud, try experimenting with other speakers since the case will be split... Will post another close up, not a pretty sight but it works.

Thanks again,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: April 10, 2016 09:22AM
Thanks finnfoto,

I'm scratching the coil setup for now, but the coiled probe is great. In the process of this project, damaged the tiny speaker and added another speaker.

Still a neat Probe, thanks again,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: April 10, 2016 04:37PM
Hi Paul, The Pistol Probe is way under rated. It is the deepest of the hand held probes. The Pocket Probe had the small jack (like cell phones have). I had a custom case for the unit, with a small hole just for a pig-tail always plugged in (this pig-tail had an inline volume switch). The Koss headphones (model QZ-99) I had used the small plug with mono/stereo switch and also volume. I could tweak both volume switches, threshold, and sensitivity to make Pocket Probe super deep. Non motion vco like the old Whites Pulse machines....sounded like a BFO. When i found a target I unplugged the headphones from the detector (leaving the 1/4 adapter in) and then plugged into the pigtail. Worked great. Lots of fun. Thanks for all the mod photos.... it is inspiring especially for me since i'm not electronically savy. I seem to remember someone using an external speaker box that he hung on high on his chest....wire plugged into headphone jack. Some early models of the Fisher CZ series didnt have a speaker. Talk to you later, Ken

Date: April 17, 2016 09:43PM
I'd offer up a trade if interested.

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: May 03, 2016 08:57PM
I have a pistol probe that the button deteriorated off of. I would about give away or trade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login