Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
1st hunt with the Pirate, Silver!
Posted by: BootyHunter
Date: December 23, 2016 11:18PM
Took my new to me Pirate out to a drawn down lake today and gave it a try. This is a lake I hunt frequently during the summer, but they bring it down in the winter so I figured it would be a good place to test out the Pirate. Now this is the basic Pirate, no Sensitivity control. I I itially set the discrim at 3 but was still getting a solid beep on nails I could see exposed along with ones I was digging. So I turned it up to 4 and this caused it to pop and crack on iron nails. After about 10 minutes, I was getting the hang of the machine. I found the usual pull tabs and aluminum, the tabs fooled me pretty good but the foil pieces had a "wide" sound to them that I began to recognize pretty quickly. A couple of very impressive things I noticed, steel bottle caps and 90 degree bent nails that were exposed on the surface so that I could see what they were, were pops and cracks at this discrimination setting. That's amazing as a 90 degree bent nail will fool most detectors, also steel bottle caps usually do as well. I found just a few coins, Nickles and pennies, not many coins as I had hit this place hard during the summer. But in the normally deep water section which was now exposed, I got a strong signal, and it was a pretty silver .925 stamped ring with a purple stone. I also got a few ear rings and a junk necklace along with a set of keys with a couple weird things on the key ring that I have no idea what they are, also got a small lead ball with the patina of very old lead, like a small pistol musket ball. I videod the finds and I'll have a video up in a few days, Christmas may delay me until Tuesday or so, I'll post a link when its up. Meanwhile, I'll attach some pics. The Pirate is a good detector, simple with an awesome discriminator, one note, I "eyeballed" a stud earring that the detector popped and cracked on, so at 4 you probably lose stud earrings, but there were so many nails there I had no choice. I like the detector, it won't replace the AT Pro, but it will definetly compliment it!! If someone was looking for a first machine to wade with at an affordable price, the Pirate would be a great choice!!

My YouTube page is Bootyhunter1971, Please check it out and. Like and Subscribe!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2016 11:21PM by BootyHunter.

Re: 1st hunt with the Pirate, Silver!
Posted by: scott.f
Date: December 24, 2016 10:12AM
Looks like a fun first run. Congrats on the silver ring! Good luck and hh.

Posted by: surfman
Date: January 03, 2017 09:24AM
Nice hunt for sure. That ring looks to be very old . Any way to date it? Wonder why so many nails? Was there a dock there at one time?

Been in the detecting hobby for around 17 years. Currently using; Minelab CTX3030 w/stock and 6" coils. For beach and water I have two Minelab Excaliburs. An Excal II, 10"on an Anderson Carbon Fiber over and under and a Blue 1000 with a 12x10sef on a green Anderson over and under. Both with remote PP and modified headphones.

Oldest Copper; 1694 King William&Mary

Oldest Silver; 1792 Half Reale

Gold Coin; 1852 $1.00 (Found with ATPro)

YouTube Channel; surfman1968

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: January 07, 2017 07:46AM
Very nice first out. :thumbup:

Posted by: foiled again tab hunter
Date: March 24, 2017 08:56PM
Those 2 things on the keys....were added at car dealers to allow u to not crank the car without first pressing the little round silver disc to another round silver disc attached at the bottom of the dash board......this would allow power to go from the battery to the ignition switch then u could crank the car/truck....hope this helps & makes some sense....Nice going with the Pirate....Tab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:00PM by foiled again tab hunter.

Date: April 27, 2017 09:46PM
surfman
Nice hunt for sure. That ring looks to be very old . Any way to date it? Wonder why so many nails? Was there a dock there at one time?

Thanks! I'm not really sure, silver with a .925 stamp if made in the USA is probably not terribly old, as sterling was used as a mark until the early 20th century, but in other countries, from what I understand anyway, .925 was used furthe back. But my short answer is , no I don't know how to date it.

My YouTube page is Bootyhunter1971, Please check it out and. Like and Subscribe!!

Date: April 27, 2017 09:48PM
foiled again tab hunter
Those 2 things on the keys....were added at car dealers to allow u to not crank the car without first pressing the little round silver disc to another round silver disc attached at the bottom of the dash board......this would allow power to go from the battery to the ignition switch then u could crank the car/truck....hope this helps & makes some sense....Nice going with the Pirate....Tab.

Wow! Very interesting!! I did not know that, how long ago did they do that? I started driving in the mid 1980's and I've never seen that, that's so cool. I was baffled as to what those things were.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login