Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Pistol Probe Mods
Posted by: tiftaaft
Date: January 16, 2017 03:46PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has considered, or completed, a mod to replace the push button "on" switch with a rocker switch or other? I love the Pistol Probe, but as others have mentioned, I have trouble "feeling" the stock push button through gloves. Just curious. Also would love to hear about other mods made to fortify the probe... I'm considering making a pvc sleeve to protect the probe, but not sure if it would have an effect on the sensitivity..

Thanks,

Tim.

Re: Pistol Probe Mods
Posted by: tvanwho
Date: January 25, 2017 06:52PM
Tim,

Could you possibly send me a photo of the Pistol Probes battery compartment door?
I lost mine and the factory wants me to send the probe back to them instead of just sending me the 50 cent part?
Was hoping i could make my own and tape it on perhaps?
Thanks.

-Tom V.

Date: January 25, 2017 08:10PM
Hi Tom,

Funny that I have a broken battery cover too.. you can see it a little in one of the pics.. the tab on one side broke off when I dropped it earlier this week.

Here are a few pics, let me know what you need to know (different angles, dimensions etc.). I'm happy to help.

Tim

Re: Pistol Probe Mods,thanks Tim
Date: January 25, 2017 08:29PM
Thanks Tim, gives me something to tinker with this weekend now that I can see whats what.

Date: February 09, 2017 11:58AM
tvanwho
Thanks Tim, gives me something to tinker with this weekend now that I can see whats what.

Hey tvanwho... any luck on your battery cover fix?

fixed it, kinda sorta
Date: February 09, 2017 02:25PM
Used good ol duct tape, bright orange in case pointer gets dropped in grass, and a small hunk of dense foam to act as a spring to push against the 2 , 9 volt batteries.
A friend at work wanted a pinpointer for $50 ,so this worked out for him after i gave him a demo. Hi mode was good for almost 3 inches depth and Lo mode for 1.5 inches and pushbutton only mode worked great for momentary pinpointing. Heck, I am tempted to get a used one myself.
I never used this thing before due to 4 controls on it and confusion. Guess I was brain dead at the time.This thing is almost idiot proof vs my latest Garrett and Whites waterproof pointers with 10 functions built into 1 button that I cannot figger out at all !!! Just wish the Pistol probe did NOT look like a pistol so much with all these cops shooting people with an object in their hand? I did wrap the tip in orange duct tape like they do with Airsoft BB guns. sure wish the other pointers had a Frequency control like the Pistol Probe? I've had signal interference with my Ace 250 and Garrett Propointer.
Anybody in the market for a slightly used Garrett waterproof pointer and my Whites TRW pointer ? Might consider a trade for a Pistol Pointer in like new condition.
I also have a Tesoro Treasure mate probe I never used.

-Tom

Date: February 09, 2017 03:11PM
Even with the duct tape engineering, $50 for a pistol probe is a great price... your friend got a good deal. The pistol probe is the deepest pointer I've used (Garrett black, Garrett orange, White's TRW)... My only "wish" on the pistolprobe is that I had an external toggle switch. So you could flip in on, without having to a) open up the little door, or b) hold down the button. When I get brave, I may try to install a rocker switch...

Glad to hear the fix worked.

-Tim

Posted by: lytle78
Date: February 09, 2017 04:53PM
Any of you PP fans want one - I have a pristine one for sale $70 shipped.

Rick Kempf

Date: February 09, 2017 04:57PM
How about 60 dollars shipped, zip 60502, PM me?

-Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login