Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
First outing with Underwater 12 inch
Posted by: tvr
Date: August 05, 2017 02:46PM
Picked up an Underwater with the 12 inch coil. Started off with a quick air test. I took a standard bobby pin and set the Underwater to just discriminate it out. That was at a disc setting of 2; then did some air tests.

Referring to the picture: item 1 is a ring I found a while back with a CZ20. It is not marked, but tests as 9K. It rings up mid-tone with the CZ and a low growl with the Excal. With the Underwater disc set at 0, I could air test item 1 at about 5 inches. With it set to disc out the bobby pin, only got 2 inches. After finding item 4 in the dirt in my yard I set the disc at about 2.5 to get rid of item 4. I could not detect item 1 in an air test with the disc set at 2.5. Item 2, a 10 K ring I had previously found, air tested at about 6 to 7 inches with the disc set at 2.5. Item 3 a good sized titanium ring, air tested at about 10 inches.

At a salt water beach: After finding a few of the tent stakes, I set disc at 3 where the tent stake is detected, but has a very clipped signal. Running with disc at 3, I found the rest of the stuff in the picture in the wet sand, plus a whole lot of bottle caps that went into the trash can before leaving the beach. The bottle caps have a little bit of a clipped sound but not clipped as much as the tent stake with the disc set at 3. Item 5 is a brass nail, that was maybe 4 inches down and was heard clearly.

The tabs I found were not real deep; maybe 5 inches on the deepest one. The nickle was in the 6 to 8 inch range. One of the quarters was in the 10 to 12 inch range. The match box car was in the 12 to 14 inch range. The two pieces of foil were loud clear signals, and were in the 4 to 5 inch deep range.

When over the wet sand and venturing into the water, the detector sounds off a little on water movement and at the transition from dry to wet sand. Over full wet sand, it was pretty quiet unless poor coil control had me hitting the sand with the coil.

I found that if the headphones shifted off center of my ears, the sound was not as loud. Seems that the headphone sound pressure is in a fairly narrow physical band. As I hunted, I had to adjust where the headphones were sitting to make sure I was hearing the detector well.

The water drag on the coil is not as bad as a couple of other big coils I've used, but a good bit more than that of the Detector Pro Pulse 11 inch coil. (Still hoping that Pulse unit comes back into production.)

Initial feelings are that this detector can do a decent job at the beach. I need to spend more time with it and better figure out the mid-conductive targets. While the pieces of foil were well detected at decent depth, I was not finding deep tabs like I was both the day before and the day after while working the same beach with different detectors.

The Underwater is definitely a good fit for a suitcase. I plan to take it on the next Florida trip.
Cheers,
tvr

Re: First outing with Underwater 12 inch
Posted by: foiled again tab hunter
Date: August 06, 2017 07:09PM
Thanks for the report & keep them coming.....HH...Tab.

Re: First outing with Underwater 12 inch
Posted by: Buddy_TX
Date: August 08, 2017 03:25PM
Sure would like to see that same unit tried with a NEL SharpShooter 5x9 coil.

Buddy_TX

AT MAX
AT PRO
Detector Pro Wader, 8" and 10"
Detector Pro Pirate Pro
Tesoro Stingray
Fisher 1280x
Whites Amphibian and Surfmaster TR
Tesoro Silver saber
Tesoro Golden Saber II
Garrett S-1, S-2, S-3 TRs
Compass Q.
Silver Turtle
TR Turtle
VLF Turtle
and a few odd balls in the back of the closet

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login