Findmall.com

DetectorPro Products Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
:shrug:Various Metal Detector Frequencies
Posted by: Mat in MA
Date: June 26, 2009 02:40PM
DetectorPro makes their detectors at a low frequency of 2.4kHz. Other manufacturers use frequencies up to 25.5kHz and anything in between.

There are single frequency detectors and multi-frequency detectors. I understand that a multi-frequency detector gives you a better chance of finding something. That aside here is what I want to know.

Does detecting on different frequencies mean that you may not find something at a lower setting than a higher setting and vice versa?

Does the frequency make a detector perform better or worse at a higher or lower frequency?

What's the purpose of running multi-frequencies?

I know this seems confusing, but maybe Mr. Bill can chime in here and help me out.

I hate winter. It's the most useless season of the year.

As high as your coil is off the ground, that's how much depth your losing in the ground - Mat

Central Massachusetts

White's MXT - Stock Coil
DetectorPro Wader
Tesoro Silver ÁMax
White's Bullseye II Pinpointer

Re: :shrug:Various Metal Detector Frequencies
Posted by: Mr.Bill
Date: June 26, 2009 05:56PM

I understand that a multi-frequency detector gives you a better chance of finding something.
Not necessary so. Most important is circuit design

Does detecting on different frequencies mean that you may not find something at a lower setting than a higher setting and vice versa?
Does the frequency make a detector perform better or worse at a higher or lower frequency?
I combined the 2 statements together, for basically the same answer. Here is a list of items that certain frequency's respond best to certain metal. This information comes from George Payne, the engineer that gave us all the ground canceling, target ID'ing, discriminating detectors that everyone bases their designs on today.

Best frequency to use.

US Dime = 2.7 KHz
Gold Coins & other US Coins = below 10 KHz.
Us Nickel & gold Jewelry = 16.5 KHz
Gold Nuggets = above 20KHz

So I guess one could say that detecting on a different frequency could mean that you may stand a chance of missing out on some target.

What's the purpose of running multi-frequencies?

If you want to accept what the manufactures advertise, it's to increase your chances of finding deeper, good targets. Well I have a few single frequency detectors that blow that theory out of the water. One needs to look at them as just another tool in the tool box. There is no one perfect tool, nor is there a perfect detector. One needs to find a detector that fills 80% of their needs, and go with that one. All the major detectors out there do quite a good job considering what is called on them to do, in the varied parts of the earth.

Mr. Bill

Thanks Mr. Bill :clapping:
Posted by: Mat in MA
Date: June 27, 2009 10:30AM
I'm guessing the detector I bought from you is one of those "blow aways", because it does a great job.

I hate winter. It's the most useless season of the year.

As high as your coil is off the ground, that's how much depth your losing in the ground - Mat

Central Massachusetts

White's MXT - Stock Coil
DetectorPro Wader
Tesoro Silver ÁMax
White's Bullseye II Pinpointer

Posted by: Bugar In. USA
Date: June 27, 2009 10:43AM
Greeat Reply, shame everybody can't read it= for me I have Detectors that are on both ends of the freq scale, and it works good for me that way, i use one brand and if i;m not happy with what it is doing, i run to the truck and get the other brand, so I got 2, works for me, and not a fortune tied up in a heavy multi freq unit :detecting:

So thats the reason my Wader is a dime killer !
Posted by: therover
Date: June 27, 2009 08:32PM
I never had a detector that hits dimes better than the Wader. It's also a silver killer too !

Posted by: bigcypresshunter
Date: June 28, 2009 02:40AM
I have a question with the adjustable frequency on the HH Pulse. There is some confusion on my manual with the frequency adjustment and was crossed off. . Are the higher frequencies the higher pitched tones, as you turn the control to the right?

Posted by: Mr.Bill
Date: June 28, 2009 06:30AM
Try not to confuse the frequency's of a PI unit with those of a VLF style. The info is not compatible. The Headhunter PI is very broad banded, and transmits around 190 or so frequencies at the same time.

The higher pitch, (frequency), audio is at a shorter, (faster), pulse delay.

Mr. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login