Findmall.com

Christian Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Does Faith Promote Sin?
Posted by: SeniorSeeker
Date: October 20, 2011 11:57AM
Does Faith Promote Sin?

One of the main accusations against Paul was that his gospel of justification by faith alone encouraged people to sin. No doubt the accusers reasoned that if people do not have to keep the law to be accepted by God, why should they be concerned with how they live?

How does Paul respond to the accusation that a doctrine of justification by faith alone encourages sinful behavior? Gal. 2:17, 18.

Galatians 2:17-18
17 But if, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we Jews find ourselves also among the sinners, doesnt that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild what I destroyed, then I really would be a lawbreaker.

Paul responds to his opponents charges in the strongest terms possible: God forbid! While it is possible that a person might fall into sin after coming to Christ, the responsibility would certainly not belong to Christ. If we break the law, we ourselves are the lawbreakers.

How does Paul describe his union with Jesus Christ? In what way does this answer refute the objections raised by his opponents? Gal. 2:19-21.

Galatians 2:19-21
19 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

Paul finds the reasoning of his opponents simply preposterous. Accepting Christ by faith is not something trivial; it is not a game of heavenly make-believe, where God counts a person as righteous while there is no real change in how that person lives. On the contrary, to accept Christ by faith is extremely radical. It involves a complete union with Christ; a union in both His death and resurrection. Spiritually speaking, Paul says we are crucified with Christ, and our old sinful ways rooted in selfishness are finished. We have made a radical break with the past. Everything is new. We have also been raised to a new life in Christ. The resurrected Christ lives within us, daily making us more and more like Himself. Faith in Christ, therefore, is not a pretext for sin but a call to a much deeper, richer relationship with Christ than could ever be found in a law-based religion.

With Permission Of: http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/11d/less04.html

Re: Praise the Lord for His mercy and grace to accept while yet sinners, but
Posted by: Ma Betty in MO
Date: October 20, 2011 04:33PM
by repentance and becoming godly wise and growing in the knowledge of God's Holy Word which increases our faith more and more for living like Christ! To keep on sinning, willfully, and not changed from the old man to the new man is not Christian! May God help us to draw more sinners unto Jesus by words of truth and kind actions! Amen! :angel: Ma Betty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login