Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
:usaflag:Pt 2 Salem Sound......
Posted by: Ron J
Date: August 17, 2009 08:55PM
While I was out near the Islands, and off Marblehead, i spotted this Sailboat. I don't like , let me rephrase that, I would not get caught dead on a Sailboat, but thought it looked beautiful, with out me on it! :D Around here, you either own a motorized vessel of some sort, or you are a "BlowBoater". I'll pass...:D Looks pretty though, i gotta admit.. Rj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 09:22PM by Wayne in BC.

:usaflag:Salem Sound.....and some typical New England..
Date: August 17, 2009 08:43PM
Yesterday was a great boating day, so i launched my Dory at the local Bowl-O-Mat Boat Launch. I have a season pass, its worth the $90 for the Summer. I don't care too much for using a ramp, whenever i want to go boating, and really don't need to, having a dock, behind the house. But, i keep the Dory on a trailer, and garaged. Trying to preserve the varnishing and wood trim for awhile. Figure i will get my monies worth anyway, launching and hauling the Pontoon boat, Spring/Fall, and with the Dory it's worth it. It is named aptly, cause the bowling alley owns it. They even have bowling pins for cleats! Was built in the mid fiftes, kind of run down, but it works.Years ago, stolen cars would be driven down into the river. Its located on the Bass River in Beverly Mass. Always liked the looks of this boat!!! Traveling up a bit further, figured i would show you some more of this house/dock. This building and docking facilitys are owned by a fishermans co-op. As you can see, it is low tide. Rj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 09:22PM by Wayne in BC.

:usaflag:Take a "Gander" at this.....
Date: August 17, 2009 08:24PM
Mother Nature can be a bit strange at times...This Goose seems to either think its the Daddy, or has taken charge of raising this little family. For the last month or so, they have lived happy lives around the cove out back. That Goose plays watch dog every minute. A couple of days ago, i heard the goose yakking quite loudly, so i looked over and saw two of the ducklings, swimming too far off from his side, maybe twenty feet or so. After his gawking, one swam right back to him, the other kind of pretending he didn't hear "Father Goose", but slowly paddled back for his protection. Pretty interesting to watch them.I have watched them grow up from little tiny hairy things. Rj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 09:23PM by Wayne in BC.

Looking good Ron! ...........
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: August 17, 2009 09:26PM
I like the looks of that "Bluefish" boat too!:thumbup:
Hope you don't get "goosed" there Sailor :biggrin: Excellent pics as usual bud!

Ron, I like happy stories like this one, thanks! :clap:N/T
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: August 17, 2009 11:13PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Ron, the photo second from the bottom shows what appears to be...............
Date: August 17, 2009 11:18PM
some rails used to launch that big boat? Also, the dock picture at low tide, are your tides six feet or more? I loved looking at the pictures, thanks for posting them. Kelley (Texas) :)

Ron, that is a big sail boat.............
Date: August 17, 2009 11:24PM
I have never been on a sail boat, and really have no desire...don't understand how they get back the way that they came. It has been explained to me that they cross back and forth against the wind, but that seems to me to be a lot of work just to get back to where they started. Thanks for posting the pictures, I enjoyed them. Kelley (Texas) :)

A nice hearthwarming story Ron.... :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: August 18, 2009 06:28PM

Re: Stories by Ron J .......
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: August 19, 2009 08:53AM
Great photos Ron!

Not many of us have the care free time to spend sailing.

I have a small "Blow Boat" and it gets trailered to the water when I want to use it.

On the rare occasion when I sailed it I really enjoyed the experience.

In the length of time it takes to rig it for sailing I can be on the water with my open fishing boat and cruising unfazed by wind or tide!

I may end up selling the sail boat at some point, but I plan to pass the fishing boat on to family when I can't use it any more.

CJ

Re: Stories by Ron J .......
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: August 20, 2009 10:45AM
There wasn't that much water in central Texas where I grew up. There were the Highland Lakes over on the Colorado, but they were 40 miles away. All we had was a seasonal creek known as the Middle San Gabriel River. Parts of it were spring-fed & held water all year round. Good fishing--mosly panfish (redear, bluegill, goggleye, & punkinseed perch) & black bass.

We built 'boats' to play in. They were known as 'tin canoes.' The boat's hull was a piece of corrugated roofing tin. The bow & stern were 2x4s fastened with shingle nails. Any leaks were plugged with tar. Your 'paddle' was an old hoe-handle with a shingle nailed to each end. You flattened the tin by jumping up & down on it, then bent it lengthwise & nailed the 2x4s in place. Then you forced the center of it open so you could sit in it. The water was seldom over 2 ft deep, so there was no real risk of drowning, even if the boat turned over--they did, often--or sank--which they also did, often. We had a lot of fun in our tin canoes, racing them or having 'battles'--ramming each other to see if we could sink the other guy's boat. I don't recall that anybody ever got hurt doing any of it, but can you imagine the heart attacks modern parents would have if their kids did that sort of thing?

TC , What a great idea, that was! :DN/T
Date: August 20, 2009 04:47PM

The Grampus alias The Can Do
Date: October 13, 2009 08:16PM
I have written a little before, about the Can Do, but wish to revisit that subject again. The Can Do had been a Pilot Boat on the North Shore, For many years when i was younger. The North Shore comprises a large area, 30 miles north of Boston. It includes waters of the Atlantic touching the shores of Revere, known for Revere Beach, Nahant, known well for two WWII fortifications, and Submarine Watch Towers, Marblehead, where most older residents are real Yankee Sailors, Salem, well know for Halloween and Witches, but really one of the oldest Seaports, with the first Customs House in the USA. , Beverly, Home of Washingtons Navy Base, and of Beverly Farms, where the very rich, built "Summer" mansions at the turn of the 20th Century. Then we have Manchester-by-the-Sea, some old Yankees, but Yuppies with fancy Sailboats, Magnolia, also many mansions on the rocky edge of the Sea, and then Gloucester, America's oldest fishing port. Rockport, yuppies know, but well known for its rockie quarries, left over from its hayday of shipping granite blocks all over the USA. If you were viewing a map, you follow the coast line to Essex, Famous Fried Clams, Lobster, Steamers,um,umm. Ipswich, Rowley,Newbury,Newburyport, another old Seaport. Then you enter New Hampshire.
The Can Do was home ported in Gloucester, although its owner,and Captain resided in Peabody. Peabody is tied to the Danvers River, but no navigable waters. Due to the Blizzard of 1978, when this area was buried in the worst 100 year snow storm you can imagine, Captain Quirk, crew, and vessel were lost! I will not get into details, but i would strongly recommend you read the book, by Michael J. Tougias, titled "Ten Hours Until Dawn".
I read the book, which was fascinating, for many reasons. First i knew alot of the basic story, second, I grew up in the waters and towns the incidents took place in, third, the Tanker in the book was within sight of the street i lived on at the time, and lastly, the Can Do had been a familiar sight in the local harbors. Everyone familiar with boating,or fishing knew the Can Do.
The Grampus, which the vessel has been know as, for the last 30 years, was raised by Burnham Marine,and still owned by the company. The name Grampus was the original name of the vessel, iron hull, 47ft in length, with only about an 8 ft beam. The pilot house is not the original, which was destroyed during the Blizzard. The Grampus is moored between the Kernwood Bridge,at the mouth of the Danvers River, the Salem/Beverly Bridge, where the North River joins into the Bass River in Beverly,and they all meet. The Mooring is within view of Mr. Burnhams residence, which sits back a few hundred yards, on an old farm,alongside the rivers edge.
For the last 3 or more years, I have only know the Grampus to be moved once, and that was about a mile down the North River, where Burnham Marine has its marine equipment stored. Now for the last month or so, people have noticed the Grampus is missing. Its large white iron mooring ball, sits idle, mooring line,loose,occasionally becoming a nesting area for our ever-hungry Seagulls. I had noticed this myself, figuring maybe the vessel had been sold or tied along the construction pier,for some paint work? After all, the hull was looking pretty bad for the last couple years, with rust blisters, and only visiting seagulls on the pilothouse roof.
I had taken my pontoon boat down the North River, purposely to see if that was the case. It wasn't there. I happened to then cruise down the Bass River, by my old house on Riverview St., where i grew up. While cruising by Hills Yacht Yard, I noticed the pilothouse of the Grampus, sticking up through the masts of drydocked boats. Well imagine that, there she was, high and dry on boat stands! I snapped a few photos, figuring this is a rare sight indeed! Next thought was to drive down for better photos on land, once I returned to my own dock.
Over the last few weeks, I have been keeping tabs of the progress on the stripping/patching/painting of the Grampus. I never seen anybody working on the vessel. Of course it is usually before or after work, or weekends, i get to view her. I hope to catch the Grampus on the straps, when they lower the hull into the Bass River.
I have also mentioned in a previous story, calling it the Ghost Ship. Partly because of the superstitious fishermen of New England. The web site for Burnham Marine states " in-spite of what some have said, She is not Haunted". Sorry, I need to disagree.... Alas, she is still a proud vessel, but I still feel sadness knowing her history, and her loneliness tied to that mooring ball.
Is the Grampus haunted...?? I suggest you read the book...then decide..... Rj

The Grampus alias The Can Do Before/After Part II
Date: October 13, 2009 08:26PM
Here is the Bow Shots... before/after.. The Rudder and Prop...... The Stern, notice the narrow beam.... Rj

Re: The Grampus alias The Can Do Before/After Part II
Posted by: joecoin
Date: October 13, 2009 10:29PM
She's looking pretty good.

Do you know anyone named Goodwin?

What a great series of photos Ron... And a great story to go with them..
Posted by: Mikie
Date: October 14, 2009 07:05AM
If I remember my university biology correctly, Grampus is the name os a species of dolphin.

Looking forward yo more photoessays. :thumbup:

Fair winds

Micheal

"There's no present like the time"

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login