Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Stories by Kelley (Texas) .............
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: February 20, 2009 02:44PM
Thank you Fred!:smile:

A liar will assume you are lying

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2010 09:36PM by Wayne in BC.

:usaflag:Have any of you folks ever seen a rock like this one? .............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: February 16, 2009 04:52PM
This rock is not very large but it is heavy. Someone suggested that it was possibly copper, but I could not find any pictures of copper that looked like this. Could this be raw silver like the type that you would find at a site like Jim Bowies lost silver mine up in the Texas Hill Country near San Saba, Texas? If this is indeed copper, would this type of rock be found near the silver ore of a lost mine? Also, I did see a picture on Google that showed a rock like this that was Turquoise, but I did not think that Turquoise was very heavy. Kelley (Texas) :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 06:16PM by Wayne in BC.

interesting rock for sureN/T
Posted by: ojm bc
Date: February 16, 2009 06:28PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

I at first hoped that it might be galena, Fred... However, it has too much of that greenish tinge that is associated with copper... Possibly a copper ore??N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: February 16, 2009 06:28PM

Mike, would green rocks like this be near a site that has silver? ............
Date: February 16, 2009 07:02PM
I might take this rock to a rock shop and see if they could tell me what it is. Do you know what type of rocks would be around a silver mine? Would a silver mine have to be a hole in the ground or a hole in the side of a hill? Could it be an open pit or something like that? I hear tell that other minerials will often be in the silver ore too...any truth to that? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

the one has the look of petrified wood.it kind of looks like tree bark.
Posted by: david(tx)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:28PM
i know there isn't alot of wood out that way but years ago there might have been.forgot what the other mineral is that occurs with silver but when virginia city, nevada opened up i think something else was mined.

David, here are a few pictures of petrified wood..........
Date: February 16, 2009 08:13PM
The grain is different from that strange blue/green colored rock. The petrified wood is normal weight when compared to other rocks the same size, where as the blue/green rock is very heavy. I am just puzzled, but I really need to know if it would indicate a silver mine nearby. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

This is a photo of the end part of the petrified wood, notice the pores.

Up here, there is a town called Sandon [I took Royal there once}.. It was built on silver..
Date: February 16, 2009 08:53PM
There were enormous quantities of silver found there. Quite literally thousands upon thousand of tons. Still a lot there too. Some of the silver was mined by shaft mining, some the miners just hacked away at the side of a mountain. In one memorable instance, some folks were wandering around and came upon a boulder. It weighed 125 tons and was almost pure silver.

That being said, a great deal of copper was extracted too. So yes, i suspect that copper ore could be in close proximity to silver. I did up here.

Wayne may know more about this.

Fair winds

Mike

"There's no present like the time"

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Mike, thanks for the information...........
Date: February 16, 2009 09:00PM
I know absolutely nothing about mining or minerals...thus the questions. I may have a story about this in the future. Again, thank you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Mike, in the next few days, I will be mailing this book to you..............
Date: February 16, 2009 09:21PM
The man that wrote this book, C. F. Eckhardt lived in Seguin, Texas, not far from San Antonio, Texas. I do not know if he is still living or not, but he wrote several books on Texas history. I hope that you enjoy the book. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

thanks fred.my recollection of the jim bowie story was that it was
Date: February 16, 2009 09:35PM
already refined silver,coinage etc.i've not read about it in a long time.i remember a story of some guys looking for it on private property.if anybody could find it would be an interesting story.i believe the story was they hid it while battling indians or mexicans.hope you can find something out about the rocks fred,good luck:smile:.

Fred!! That is most kind of you... I cannot thank you enough. When you first mentioned the book, I was afraid that it might be Willy's famous book :): You know... the one he gave Royal. :):N/T
Date: February 17, 2009 07:58AM

Willy is writing a second edition and possible movie rights :DN/T
Posted by: ojm bc
Date: February 17, 2009 10:36AM

It weighed 125 tons and was almost pure silver.
Date: February 17, 2009 11:13AM
man,depending on the price of silver they made out pretty good.

Here is the link and a picture of it David
Date: February 17, 2009 03:13PM
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/text2html/.visual/img_txt/dir_72/b_06300.txt?B-06300

Fair winds

Mikie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login