Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
George, the present drought is pretty severe, no end in sight............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:53PM
Ranchers are selling lots of cattle because they can not afford to feed them. Hay has gotten very expensive and is being trucked into the area from North Texas and out of state. I have seen severe dry weather before and you just have to ride it out the best that you can. What is heart breaking is that when this drought is over, it will take some time for folks to build their herds...and while this is being done, cattle from Mexico will flood the market and keep the prices depressed. I have not heard of anyone importing water at this time, but not much if any of that has ever been done to my knowledge in our area. Kelley (Texas) :)

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

Beautiful, green pastures Fred... Is the bull, and by definition the herd, a red angus??
Posted by: Mikie
Date: August 06, 2009 08:34AM
How much land did you have in those days?

You wife sure looks happy up there. I know Alice is happiest when she is atop a horse and I suspect that any woman who truly loves horses is pretty much the same.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Calm seas

Micheal

"There's no present like the time"

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Mike, that is a red Angus bull, and the herd were red brangus cows...........
Date: August 06, 2009 09:50AM
We started with 65 acres and slowly expanded the ranch to 2,725 acres, some owned and some under lease. We viewed ourselves as pasture managers, not cattlemen...no pasture, no cattle. Some of the pastures we left with native grass, and other pastures were coastal bermuda grass. Kelley (Texas) :)

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

Turk must have been exhausted!:D How big a herd did you have Fred? Did
Posted by: Ron J
Date: August 06, 2009 05:34PM
you have any ranch hands to help you? How many acres Fred? Appears you had a very large spread. Keep the pictures coming, they are great!

Some great pictures Kelley, man that bull Turk is one Mighty bull :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: General Ray
Date: August 06, 2009 05:45PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Just spent some time viewing some ranch related pictures, thought you folks might ............
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: August 06, 2009 06:00PM
There's a story going around here that a rancher took a load of 6 feeder steers to the sale barn but couldn't sell 'em. He parked his rig, with the stock trailer attached, across ffrom the best-known barbecue joint in Gonzales & went in for lunch. When he came back out he had 9 steers in the trailer.

Then there's the tale of the rancher who was climbing up the windmill tower when the preacher came by. "John," the preacher called, "why are you climbing the windmill?"

"Parson," John said, "it's so dry & the market's so bad I'm gonna jump off the tower & end it all!"

"Don't do that, John," the preacher said. "Come down & let's talk about it."

John came down, he & the preacher talked about it for an hour--& then they both climbed the windmill tower & jumped off.

It's now so dry in this part of Texas that trees are learning to whistle. To call dogs. If you drive down a country road with a dog in the back of the pickup the trees all lean in & hope.

All joking aside, we have not had 'significant' rainfall here since September of '07.

Great pictures and good looking family.....
Posted by: Paul (AR)
Date: August 06, 2009 07:06PM
I envy you Fred, that's the kind of life I wanted to raise my family in.

Now that is interesting Fred! Boy I would love to visit that country some day
Posted by: Royal
Date: August 06, 2009 09:39PM
Everything is so green. I have visited Texas but just to go to a weeks training and I didn't really get to see the country

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

TexasCharley, wonder when it will rain again..............
Date: August 06, 2009 10:08PM
Someone told me today that the weather folks are predicting a wet fall and winter...I do not believe them. Kelley (Texas) :)

Ron, during good years with plenty of rain and green grass.................
Date: August 06, 2009 10:20PM
we would average between 130 to 140 cow/calf units. Our herd were Red Brangus cattle because they fit the land and the heifers could handle the smaller birth weights of 65 to 70 lbs. Kelley (Texas) :)

Re: Just spent some time viewing some ranch related pictures, thought you folks might ............
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: August 07, 2009 10:18AM
I'll believe it's raining again when I get wet.

We raised herefords back in the '50s & '60s, but we always put a black angus bull on the first-calf heifers. The smaller calves were a lot easier on those heifers & the calves they produced--black baldies, with a black coat but a white face--were some of the best eating beef I ever tasted. The only beef I ever tasted that was better than black baldy beef was beefalo. When the wife & I lived in Richardson, up north of Dallas, we were about 6 blocks from the Bonanza restaurants' 'steak tech,' where they trained managers. You could eat there for half price of what you paid at a regular Bonanza. We were regulars. We got a note from the management one time about a new beef they wanted our opinion on. It was beefalo. That was some of the best-tasting meat I ever put in my mouth! Imagine the best steak you've ever tasted. Then add about 30% more taste. That's what beefalo tastes like.

Beautiful country Cowboy! I would have loved to ride there with you and Debbie just once! :)N/T
Posted by: Sunny
Date: August 07, 2009 07:20PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Sunny, that would have been nice. Two women............
Date: August 07, 2009 08:45PM
cooking and cleaning camp would be easier than just one woman doing it. Kelley (Texas) :rofl: :jump: :rofl:

Here is my favorite Kelley story!
Posted by: Kieth-Tx
Date: November 30, 2009 03:38PM
Re: TexasCharley, I think that J. Frank Dobie made mention of this lost gold mine in his book...................
Posted by: kissmchris
Date: April 28, 2010 01:58AM
HI ,my name is ,Christine Simmons, and my great-grandfather was Jim Reagan.
I recently just heard the tale of the "Lost @#$%& Mine" and am very interested to learn as much as possible about any of this . Since it concerns my family heritage but I dont have much to go on . Could u please help me in learning more ? I would appriciate it . thank you
sincerely ,
christine simmons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login