Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
thanks mike.when i found out the name i did a google and they recieved 2000 dollars for the boulder
Posted by: david(tx)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:06PM
don't know how that related to the economy of the time.sounds like there was some double crossing going on in the region at the time:smile:.bet it got rowdy like the other mining areas.

fred,here are a couple of links you might find interesting.
Date: February 17, 2009 09:13PM
Figure that out at todays closing of $14.02 and oz....N/T
Posted by: George-CT
Date: February 17, 2009 09:35PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

The saying in Sandon was... "Silver, lead and Hell are raised in Sandon......and unless you can take a hand in producing these articles, your services are not required"N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: February 17, 2009 09:53PM

:lol::biggrin:,i always enjoy mining town stories.concentrating alot of young men in one spot can create lots of mayhem.N/T
Date: February 17, 2009 10:05PM

Yeah..........We kinda lost track of the book when it went to Royal. Odd. :blink:N/T
Posted by: WillyP
Date: February 18, 2009 08:55AM

Yep....and I'm writing you in as the leading lady. :rofl:N/T
Posted by: WillyP
Date: February 18, 2009 08:56AM

I sent it on to Rob and it is odd, he has not been back to visit us but one time
Posted by: Royal
Date: February 18, 2009 02:05PM
and I had to call the boy on the phone to get him to come around. :shrug:

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

deserve it baaaaaaN/T
Posted by: ojm bc
Date: February 18, 2009 05:30PM

Fred this is interesting and .........
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: February 20, 2009 02:43PM
I will add it to your folder:smile:

A liar will assume you are lying

:usaflag:The Death of Marshal Ben Thompson in San Antonio 1884..............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: January 06, 2009 08:09PM
Eleven months ago, while doing some research about some cattle thieves that were hung from a tree in Comal County, Texas, I came upon some interesting information about a Marshal Ben Thompson who had been killed in San Antonio, Texas in 1984. Needless to say, I added this information to my Comal County file for future research. It is not unusual for me to be doing research on several subjects at the same time, especially if the events are located in the same general area.

I think that this is the blacksmith Shop and Livery Stable where the Texas Marshal Ben Thompson kept his horse in 1884 when he was traveling from Austin, Texas to San Antonio, Texas for a meeting with a local gang leader by the name of Joe Foster. Two days later, Joe Foster ambushed and killed Marshal Ben Thompson at the Vaudeville Theater in San Antonio. I have not yet been able to confirm that this is the actual blacksmith shop and livery stable, but it fits the descriptionMarshal Thompson took what was known as the Austin Highway to San Antonio and this livery stable is located on the old Austin Highway. It was also made mention that Marshal Thompson left the livery stable the next morning and rode a couple of miles to visit some friends that lived on the river (no name given) at the home of folks by the name of Davenport. This livery stable that I have located is two and a half miles north of the river crossing at Cibilo Creek which was also the location of a small community by the name of Davenport which later changed its name to Bracken, Texas.

I did talk with the old lady that owns the land, but she was not very friendly and had a big aggressive dog with her. She did give me permission to enter the property and take a few pictures. She knew nothing much about the history of the property other than her family has owned it for over seventy-five years. She said that her husband has been dead for seventeen years. While she gave me permission to take a few pictures, she refused to let me use a metal detector on the property...she was very vocal in stressing that I could take a few pictures, but I was not to mess with the building or anything else. I was very nice to her, and thanked her. In the back of my mind, I figure that I would get this picture printed on some good photo paper, then frame it and give it to her as a gift...also, I would take a couple of treats for that dog. This just might open the door for me to come back with a metal detector one of these days. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 06:16PM by Wayne in BC.

interesting fred.i think ben thompson had something to do with the
Date: January 06, 2009 08:27PM
killing of a former governor not long after the civil war.i might have my wires crossed on that but something to that effect.he may have been the city marshall in austin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 08:28PM by david(tx).

Cowboy, take her a box of chocolates too! That'll get you inside :)N/T
Posted by: Sunny
Date: January 06, 2009 09:25PM

Thats great Fred! The Old West....still exists..N/T
Posted by: Ron J
Date: January 06, 2009 10:11PM

Fred will you follow up on this...............
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: January 06, 2009 10:46PM
interesting chapter of history?
Is there more to it than what you have written? All that research, must be a good reason, give it up buddy:biggrin:

A liar will assume you are lying

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login